Friday, February 24, 2017

Do some Women take up a Job to improve their Marriage Prospects...?

MATRIMONIAL STRATEGY FOR WOMEN
How to Find a Suitable Husband
A Fictional Spoof
By
VIKRAM KARVE 

PART 1 – CIVIL MATRIMONY

HOW TO FIND A “BABU” HUSBAND

THE STORY OF THE SMART YOUNG WOMAN

This happened more than 33 years ago  in the early 1980– when I was a “Babu in Uniform  pushing files in Delhi.

A smart pretty young woman  maybe 20 or 21  entered my office.

The young woman said that she had been asked to report to me.

“Me?” I asked, pleasantly surprised.

I looked at her appreciatively  since she was very beautiful.

She smiled coyly at the undisguised admiration in my eyes.

Then  demurely  she said, “Sir, you are the administrative officer…?”

“Yes,” I said.

“Sir  I am a new recruit LDC. I have got orders to join this office. I have come for the reporting interview.”

“Oh, please sit down,” I said.

The young woman sat down  and she handed a folder to me.

The folder had her appointment letter and various certificates – educational, sports, dramatics.

I saw that she was a very intelligent, well qualified and talented girl. 

She had done her schooling in a good New Delhi Kendriya Vidyalaya (KV)  and she had completed her graduation from a prestigious college in Delhi. 

She seemed overqualified and over-talented for this job of a LDC (Lower Division Clerk).

I looked at the young woman and I said to her: 

“You have done so well in your graduation – you have a first class with distinction – and you have so many talents  and you have excelled in so many extra-curricular activities. You should study further – do your Post-Graduation or maybe even a Ph.D. degree. Or – if you are interested in taking up a job – you should try to become an officer somewhere. Why don’t you give the Civil Services Exam or Banking Probationary Officers Exam or apply for some Class 1 Officers post or try for a job in the Private Sector...? Why do want to do this clerical job as an LDC...?”

“Sir, I want this clerical job in order to improve my marriage prospects...” she said, matter-of-factly.

When I heard this incredulous answer  I was flabbergasted.

I looked at her in silence  not knowing what to say.

The young woman looked at me demurely and she said: 

“Sir  please don’t get angry – I am not joking. It is the truth. This is the real reason that I am taking up this clerical job – I am taking up this job of LDC to improve my marriage prospects... 

“Can you please explain to me how doing this LDC job is going to help your marriage prospects...?” I asked, curious.

“Yes, Sir. I will explain to you. Sir  I am the fourth daughter from a lower middle-class family. My father works here in the government secretarial service. He joined as an LDC and now he is a Section Officer now. He is retiring next year. He wants to get me married before he retires. He wants to finish off all his responsibilities before he goes back to his village to settle down there...” she said.

“So...?”

“This is a non-transferable job, Sir  and I will remain in Delhi throughout my life. It will be easy for them to find a suitable boy in the same service – some LDC  or maybe an UDC. Both of us will be working in offices here in the secretariat only. We will never be transferred out of Delhi. And we will get government accommodation in Delhi where we can stay for our entire careers. It is all so convenient...” she said.

“Come on,” I said, “You will easily get an Officer husband.”

She blushed at the disguised compliment  and she said: 

“I know Sir. But – we cannot afford the dowry for a high status match. It is best for us to remain within our class. Here  everyone wants a girl with a secure, easy and non-transferable 9 to 5 five-day-week government job  like this one. Besides  if I get someone from the same service  he will be elder than me and also senior to me  so he will get more pay than me – and there will be no ego problems.”

I looked at her. 

I was had never seen a girl who was so honest and candid.

I smiled at her and I said: “I really appreciate your talking to me so honestly. Welcome to the office. I am sure you will do well.”

Six months later she came to give me the good news.

Her marriage was fixed to a UDC working the neighbouring office.

In fact  it was a love marriage – love-cum-arranged – the had “dated” during lunch break in the office canteen and on the lawns outside our office – she had liked the boy  so  she had told her parents  and  they had fixed the match.

Soon – she would be married – and  her father would retire peacefully  all his familial duties done.

Then – she and her UDC husband would get a government quarter nearby  where they would probably live for the next 40 years  till they both retired  hopefully as Section Officers.

They could look forward to a blissful married life  commuting up and down to office together  and  have a stress-free unexciting secure working life  getting slow and steady time bound promotions  and  enjoying all the benefits that come with a government job – especially a comfortable white-collar clerical government job in Delhi.

Years passed  I got transferred all over  I did so many appointments  I met so many people  and  this story went into a remote recess of my memory.

Then  more than 33 years later  after I had retired from the Navy  another interesting incident happened  and suddenly – I remembered this story.

I will tell you all about that hilarious incident in Part 2 of this Blog Post.

Meanwhile – ponder over this story – especially if you are a woman – and tell me – what do you think of the moot question: 

Do some Women take up a Job to improve their Marriage Prospects...?” 

(The story I narrated pertains to white-collar “Babudom” – but – believe it or not – I once met a young Techie girl – who told me that she had selected the IT/Software Profession and taken up a job in the IT/ITES industry since it was the easiest place to find a suitable husband...) 

Dear Reader: What do you feel...? 

And – please read Part 2 of How to Find a Suitable Husband – the next post on my blog... 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, pure fiction, satire, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

This is Part 1 of the 
updated version of my story LOOKING FOR A HUSBAND first written by me more than 4 years ago in 2013 and earlier posted online by me on my Academic and Creative Writing Journal Blog on 08 July 2013 titled LOOKING FOR A HUSBAND Musings on Career Women and Marriage Prospects which featured the above Two Stories  THE SMART YOUNG WOMAN and THE SMART YOUNG LADY ARMY OFFICER at url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2013/07/looking-for-husband-career-women-and.html and http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2015/06/humor-in-uniform-how-to-find-husband.html  and http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2016/07/civil-and-military-matrimony-humor-in.html etc

No comments: