name was Asha.
hoped that she would fall in love with me.
I tried my best to “woo” her.
out what time she caught the PMT bus to her college – and – I contrived the “coincidence”
– and – I landed up at the bus stop on my motorcycle.
was standing at the bus stop – waiting for the bus.
I said to Asha, “I will drop you to college…”
be so formal…” I said to her, “I am going that side – come – sit behind – I will
she said with irritation on her face, “I will go by bus – you please go from
I started my bike – and went away – disappointed.
felt snubbed – but – I didn’t give up hope.
few days later – I contrived another coincidence – and I accosted her on Main
had overheard Asha telling her mother that after college she would be going to
Main Street to a famous ladies’ garments shop – so – I was patiently waiting
nearby – unseen – like a hunter lays in wait for his prey)
moment Asha came out of the shop – I smiled at her – and I said to her feigning
surprise: “What a delightful coincidence meeting you here – come – let’s go and
eat ice cream…”
– don’t feel shy – you get the best ice cream here…” I said.
– if you don’t want ice cream – we can have something else…” I said.
she said, “I am not interested in having ice cream or anything…”
– at least let me drop you home – you are my neighbour – and I am going home – come – let’s go to my bike – it is parked across the road…” I said.
Asha said curtly, “I will go by bus – you can go ahead on your bike…”
these words – Asha turned – and she walked away.
felt terribly humiliated by her rebuff.
I gave up all hope – and – I stopped pursuing her.
Road Apartments, New Delhi
returned home one evening from work – and I was surprised to see Asha sitting
with my wife on the sofa.
Vikram…” Asha said.
look so smart in your Naval Uniform…” she said.
wife interrupted and said to me: “Why don’t you go inside and change – and freshen
up – I’ll make some tea for you…”
sat sipping tea in the balcony.
so nice to see you…” Asha said to me – with a sweet smile.
was perplexed by her behaviour.
– she had been so curt and unfriendly to me – and now – she was being so
gracious and friendly towards me.
did you find my house…?” I asked Asha.
on, Vikram – you are my neighbour in Pune – I asked your mother…” she said.
has told me all about you…” my wife said.
wondered what Asha had told my wife – so – I decided to change the topic.
brings you to Delhi…?” I asked Asha.
have got admission in a Post Graduate Course here…” she said.
told me the name of the institute – a most prestigious and premier institution.
am staying in the hostel…” Asha said, “you are going to be my local guardian…”
Guardian…?” I said – taken aback.
Asha said, “I have given your name…”
me…? I am so young…” I said.
on, Vikram – you are a Naval Officer…” she said.
wife changed the topic – and she talked about Delhi – what a lovely place it
was getting dark – so I said to Asha: “How have you come…?”
came by DTC Bus – there is a direct bus from our hostel gate to your place –
the bus stop is just outside Curzon Road Apartments…” Asha said.
good…” I said to Asha, “it’s getting dark – come – we will walk you down to the
thought you will offer to drop me on your bike…” Asha said.
course…” my wife said, “Vikram will drop you to your hostel on his bike…”
– we – Asha and Me – we were driving on my bike towards her hostel – with Asha
sitting behind me – legs astride – and holding me tight.
the way – Asha said to me: “Let’s stop for some ice cream – there is a nice ice
cream parlour near our hostel…”
having ice cream – I asked her: “I don’t understand one thing – in Pune – you refused
to come with me on my bike – you refused to have ice cream with me – and now –
you asked me to drop you on my bike – and – you asked me to have ice cream with
– you are married…” Asha said to me with a sweet smile.
Copyright © Vikram Karve
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh. 2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)