Friday, February 10, 2017

A “Quick Bite” at ‘Quick Bite’

QUICK BITE AT QUICK BITE
Short Fiction – A Very Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE 

QUICK BITE AT QUICK BITE – Short Story by Vikram Karve 

I am having a Quick Bite at Quick Bite…! 
 
Hey  I am not trying to be funny.

“Quick Bite” is the fast food joint opposite our office complex – where we often rush out to have a ‘Quick Bite’
 
I sit at a table for two  concluding my quick bite with a cup of coffee  when I see the office macho-man Raj enter Quick Bite for a quick bite.  

His eyes search for a vacant table  but “Quick Bite” is jam-packed.
  
Raj looks in my direction.

I beckon him to sit on the vacant chair opposite me.   

As Raj settles down in his chair  I ask him: “All alone…? Where is your girlfriend…?”
 
“Girlfriend…?” he asks.
 
“Rita…” I say. 

“Rita is no longer my girlfriend…” Raj says.
 
"Really...?" I interrupt, “Thats great. It is good you dumped Rita. She is a shameless nympho.”

“Rita...? Shameless nympho...? What are you saying...?” Raj asks.  

“Musical Beds  Ha Ha  Musical Beds...!” I say, laughing.  

“Musical Beds...?” Raj asks.  

“Ha Ha – Rita – that’s what we called her in college   that shameless nympho Rita  we called her Musical Beds  – yes  Rita’s nickname was Musical Beds  just like we play Musical Chairs  Rita plays Musical Beds  but let me tell you Raj  better late than never – you have done the right thing – you had a ball of a time with Rita – and now – you have dumped her – yes – Raj – you have done the wisest thing by dumping that shameless nympho Rita...” I say.

Then  I hurriedly gulp down the remains of my coffee.
 
Raj looks at me with a perplexed expression on his face.

But I am in a hurry  and  I have got a lot of work to do.

So I quickly get up  smile at Raj – pat his shoulder  and  I rush back towards my office. 
 
Suddenly  I see Rita talking to my colleague Chanchal near the entrance of the office.

Chanchal waves out  and  she calls out to me.

So  I go towards Rita and Chanchal.

“Hey  you know what...?” my chatterbox colleague Chanchal says excitedly, the moment I come near them.  

“What...?” I ask.

“Rita and Raj got married yesterday. It was a very sudden secret hush-hush affair – parents’ opposition  you know. Thats why they did not tell anybody...” Chanchal says.

“Really...? You got married to Raj...?” I ask, surprised.

Rita looks at me and she says: 

Yes – I got married to Raj yesterday. 

So – I am not your friend Raj’s girlfriend anymore. 

Yes – I am no longer his girlfriend

Now  I am his wife...” 
 
With these words  Rita turns around with a flourish.

And  she walks towards Quick Bite for a ‘Quick Bite – with her husband Raj.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
This Story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

No comments: