Friday, February 3, 2017

Memories of My “Punter” Days – The Indian Derby 1980

DERBY DAY – “Punters’ Romance”

KING OF SPORT and SPORT OF KINGS

This Sunday – the 5th of February 2017 
 the first Sunday of February  is the date for the Indian Derby 2017 – the 75th running of the most prestigious race in India. 

Yes – Sunday is Derby Day” – the day of the The Indian Derby – the crème de la crème of horse races in India – which is run on the first Sunday of February every year since 1943 at the Mahalaxmi Race Course in Mumbai (earlier called Bombay) – and – if you happen to be in Mumbai – do go across to the Race Course and watch the Indian Derby. 

Derby Day always evokes fond memories of my “Punter Days” as a young Navy bachelor.

Had I not joined the Navy – I would probably have never seen the Derby – or even visited a Race Course. 

During my glorious Navy Mumbai Bachelor Days in the 1970s/1980s 
– as a avid punter”  I did not miss my date with the Indian Derby at the premier Mahalaxmi Race Course in Mumbai

Many years later when I was posted to Mumbai again – though I stopped frequenting the racecourse  I made it a point not to miss the Indian Derby held annually on the first Sunday afternoon of February.


I wonder who will win the Indian Derby on Sunday...?


Will it be Serjeant At ArmsHall Of FamerTemerity, Mrs.Patmore, Silver Beauty or someone else...? 

We will come to know the answer on Sunday. 

I have fond memories of my “Punter Days” in the 1970s/1980s – and – the many exciting races I witnessed – especially the Derby Races.

Of these 
 the most memorable, exciting and thrilling Indian Derby I witnessed was the unforgettable Indian Derby Horse Race run in 1980. 

Dear Reader: Let me tell you about it...

THE INDIAN DERBY 1980

My Most Memorable Indian Derby - An Unforgettable Race
A PUNTER WALKS DOWN MEMORY LANE
By
VIKRAM KARVE

It’s been a long time since I visited the racecourse to watch horse racing  the King of Sport and the Sport of Kings
But Derby Day is fast approaching and I am quite excited as to who is going to win the greatest classic of the season at the Mahalakshmi Race Course the Indian Derby on Sunday. 
I can never forget that exciting afternoon on my very first day at the races, Sunday the 3rd of February 1980  when I was so lucky to witness the crème de la crème of horse races in India – The Indian Derby  which is run on the first Sunday of February every year since 1943.
I still have vivid memories of that wonderful afternoon  though 37 years have passed since that delightful Derby Day. 
I lived in Mumbai then and a number of my colleagues were avid punters  as race-goers are called.

The excitement started on Wednesday when the declarations appeared in the newspapers and the conversations were abuzz with heated discussions as to would win the Indian Derby – Aristocrat or Everynsky...?

Well  Aristocrat and Everynsky were both favourites to win the Derby and each had their passionate followers. 

But there were other good horses in the fray too 
 notably a horse called Mohawk.

By Friday  the papers  both the newspapers and the race tabloids  were full of predictions, speculations and tips.

Both Aristocrat and Everynsky had top following 
 but Mohawk too was tipped to win by a few tipsters.

Come Saturday evening  and we duly picked up our Cole Race Books from a bookstall at Churchgate – and my punter friends were in a frenzy, calculating, computing, what they were going to wager – in the Derby, and in the other races too, at the bookmakers and at the tote, for the jackpot, the treble and the tanala.

The topic of conversation during our Sunday morning walk on the Marine Drive was the Indian Derby  with “expert opinions” being freely aired. 

After a hearty brunch of Kheema Pav and Chai at our favourite Stadium Restaurant next to Churchgate Railway Station 
– we took off by local train to Mahalakshmi.

We made it a point to purchase “return tickets” in case we had a bad day...!!!

Almost everyone got off at Mahalaxmi Railway Station and the atmosphere in the race course was electrifying.

The air was festive 
 like a carnival  with there were so many two-legged birds in the most fashionable dresses and exotic hats that I wondered whether I should focus on the horses or the beauties.

To a novice like me  the whole process was mind-boggling.

First 
 to see the horses parade in the paddock.

Then rush to the bookmakers ring 
 which was surcharged with excitement.

You had to look at the odds 
 look at your own calculations in your Cole  listen to tips  run once more to the paddock to see the jockeys mount and the horses being led off to the starting dates.

And then 
 you rushed back to the bookmakers betting ring to place your bet.

After that 
 you ran up to get a good seat in the stands to watch the Indian Derby Race.

For me  it was fun to watch this spectacle  because I was only placing modest bets of five and ten rupees on the tote.

I had decided to just place one bet in the Indian Derby Race of Rs. 100 (a hundred rupees) for a win at the bookmakers 
 though I had not decided on the horse yet.

It was going to be either Aristocrat or Everynsky 
 whoever offered better odds.

Just before the Indian Derby  I watched the horses parade in the paddock.

I felt a premonition 
 a hunch  and following my sixth sense  I placed my win bet on Mohawk

Most of my punter friends were betting heavily on Everynsky (it seems they had got a last minute “tip”).

But 
 some die-hards were backing Aristocrat.

Aristocrat and Everynsky were the  two were the favourites to win 
 but there was a frenzy of betting on other horses too  especially Mohawk  as the odds fluctuated wildly.

In the betting ring I observed a pretty young lady observing me as I placed my bet – and suddenly she asked me: “Who do you like...?”

I was about to say: “I like You” 

But – but I controlled myself  and true to racing form  I said: “I like Mohawk” 

So – the pretty young lady placed her bet on Mohawk too  like I had done.

It was a fantastic race. 

All eyes were on Aristocrat  Jagdish astride  who had a stable-mate horse as pacemaker.

And  I think it was the famous Vasant Shinde who was riding Everynsky 

But  Wally Swinburn magnificently steered Mohawk to fantastic victory.

This result caused a stunning upset.

Mohawk had won the race from a fast finishing Everynsky 
– with Aristocrat left far behind and out of the reckoning.

My punter colleagues  most of whom had backed Everynsky were disappointed – and a few who had put their money on Aristocrat  were quite dejected.

When they realized that I had bet on Mohawk 
 they were quite surprised at my good fortune.

As I went to collect my win dividends 
 I noticed the pretty young girl looking at me and smiling with joy as if we shared some secret. 

She was delighted that she had outwitted her Dad 
 a dyed-in-the-wool punter  who had bet on Aristocrat. 

The pretty young girl said goodbye and she walked towards the members’ enclosure.

But 
 before she walked away  she hoped that I would be coming to races next Sunday  and she told me that she looked forward to some “expert” tips from me. 

And that was the beginning of a long and lovely friendship for I was punctually present at the Mahalaxmi Race Course in Mumbai on every Sunday afternoon for the rest of the racing season.

Do you want to know what happened to our beautiful “punters’ romance”...? 

Well – that’s another story.

Soon I would have to move out of Mumbai in transfer  but whenever I was in Mumbai  I never missed the Indian Derby or any of the other classics. 

I have enjoyed the races at the magnificent race course at Kolkata 
 where lady luck favoured me greatly  at Bangalore  where too I was quite lucky  and at Mysore  the most picturesque racecourse nestling under the Chamundi Hills  at Ooty  and  of course  at the cute little race course at Pune  my home town.

I witnessed many memorable derby races  at Mumbai  and elsewhere  but the most extraordinary Indian Derby I remember was in 2003  when a relatively unknown horse called Noble Eagle who was supposed to be a pacemaker  flew off from the starting gates  kept galloping at top speed  and won the race start to finish  causing the biggest upset ever in the Indian Derby.

Guess what...?

Believe it or not...!!!

The same pretty young lady  who had now metamorphosed into a beautiful woman  thanked me once again for the “tip” – and this time her winnings were quite substantial

I wonder why I liked Noble Eagle

I looked at the horses parading in the paddock  and while they were being led off to the starter gates.

Suddenly  it was my sixth sense that made me wager a “Place bet on Noble Eagle.

My beautiful friend  the same pretty young lady  she seemed to have more confidence in me  that I myself had in my own punting skills.

She had placed a “Win bet on Noble Eagle at excellent odds  and she made a small fortune.

I wish I had been more daring like her.


ART OF PUNTING

But sixth sense doesnt always work 
 so it is better to follow the conventional way of Punting when you go to the racecourse.

Here are some Tips for the novice Punter:

1. Study the Cole Race Book and Racing Columns in Newspapers and on the Internet

2. Do your homework

3. Listen to tips and advice

4. Have a look at the horses in the paddock parade

5. Observe the goings-on in the betting rings, especially the movement of the odds

6. Watch the big guns” and their betting patterns

7. Then make your own judgement and place your bet


That  in a nutshell  is the Art of Punting. 

I used to love going to the races.

There is so much to enjoy – the thrill of punting, the air of excitement, the festive atmosphere, the strong, swift and handsome horses, the beautiful people in their Sunday best and the delicious snacks in between the races.

Is there a reason why you should go for the races...?

A quote from my favourite philosophical book The Importance of Living by Lin Yutang probably says it all:

“If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner  you have learned how to live...”

Are you going to the Mumbai Race Course to watch The Indian Derby on Sunday afternoon...? 

Or – if you not in Mumbai – like me – are you going to watch the live coverage of The Indian Derby on TV...?

Tell me - who do you think will win the Indian Derby 2017...?

Come on give us a tip.

Happy Punting...!!!

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: