Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Humor in Uniform – The Officer from Delhi on a “Scouting” Mission

Humor in Uniform

THE OFFICER FROM DELHI ON A “SCOUTING” MISSION
Memories of My Delightful Navy Days
A Spoof
By
VIKRAM KARVE

This happened 16 years ago  in the year 2001 – when I was appointed in the premier Naval Dockyard at Mumbai. 

An officer came into my office. 

He told me that he had come from Delhi.

Though I had never served with him on a ship or ashore  I knew the officer  since we had done our training together.

He was roughly of my seniority  one course senior  but then  I had gained maximum seniority in my Sub Lieutenant’s courses.

I asked him to be seated  and  I ordered a cup of tea for him.

He sat down.

He smiled at me. 

And then  he started looking up at the wall behind me.

I observed that he was looking at the “Honour Board” – on which were displayed the names and tenures of all incumbents of the office which I was presently occupying.

With disappointment writ on his face  he asked me: “You have spent not even 2 years here...?”

“Yes...” I said, “in fact I have been here for exactly one year and seven months  to be precise.”

“Okay...” he said, “Thanks for the tea. Sorry  if I disturbed you in your work.”

Then  the Officer from Delhi – he left my office.

I was perplexed as to why he had visited me.

In the evening  while I was sitting with my family by the sea at the Navy Officers Institute  I saw the same officer who had come to my office in the morning.

I called him over for a drink.

The Officer from Delhi had a sip of Whisky Soda  and then – he said: “You must be wondering why I came to your office in the morning...?”

“Yes...” I said, “I was quite perplexed by your sudden visit to my office...

On hearing this – the Officer from Delhi said to me

“Actually I am posted at Delhi in Naval Headquarters (NHQ) – and  I have been in Delhi for over 5 years – so now  I am due for a transfer. 

I want a transfer to Mumbai.

But the DOP said that there was no suitable billet vacant in Mumbai – so – they were likely to transfer me to Vizag. 

So  I used some pull through my boss – and – the DOP said that if I could find out a suitable billet in Mumbai where an officer had already spent more than 3 years – he would transfer me to that billet in Mumbai – and  he would move that officer out of Mumbai  probably to Delhi  do a mutual transfer. 

So – my boss has sent me on a scouting mission to find out a suitable appointment in Mumbai where I can be easily posted...” 

“But why are you targeting me...?” I asked. 

The Officer from Delhi said to me:

“Someone told me that you had spent a long time in Mumbai.

S I wanted to personally find out.

But then  I saw that you have not even spent 2 years in Mumbai.

But you don’t worry – please keep this info just between you and me – I have found out that one officer “XXX” is sitting comfortably in Mumbai for more 5 years.

S– I will have him moved out of Mumbai – and I will move into his appointment...” 


3 months later  the clueless “XXX” was on his way to Delhi.

And  the Officer from Delhi who had come on a “Scouting Mission from NHQ  – he joined us in Mumbai.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 
VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

This story is a revised version of my blog post A “SCOUTING” MISSION posted online in my Academic and Creative Writing Journal Vikram Karve Blog at url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2014/05/humor-in-uniform-scouting-mission.html  and http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2016/08/humor-in-uniform-how-to-get-choice.html

No comments: