Friday, March 24, 2017

A Girl – A Boy – and – their Love Story

A GIRL and A BOY
Love Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE


Circa 1974

Girl: Oh My God – we have done it.  I can’t believe that we did it. Now – we will have to get married.

Boy: Yes. Of course we’ll get married.


Circa 1975

Girl: Let’s get married. 

Boy: Are you crazy…? You’re not even 18 years old.


Circa 1976

Girl: I am 18 now – let’s get married.

Boy: Just one more year. Let me finish my engineering degree and get a good job. Then – we will get married.


Circa 1977

Girl: Now you have got a job. Let’s get married.

Boy: Let me finish my training. I don’t think the Navy allows officers to get married during training.


Circa 1978

Girl: You have finished your training. I have finished my engineering. Let’s get married.

Boy: I can’t marry before 25. That’s what the Navy rule says. Even if we get special permission to get married – we won’t get married accommodation till I am 25 years old – so we will have to live apart. So – let’s wait for 3 years till I am 25 years old – and then we’ll get married. Meanwhile why don’t you pick up a job while I finish off my sea-time...? Also  by that time  I will be 25 years old…? A job will keep you occupied.


Three Years Later


Circa 1981

Boy: I am 25 years old now. I have finished my sea-time too and I am due for a “long course”. It is the ideal time to get married. One year of bliss. We will get a house there in the training base and we will have plenty of time together. Let’s get married.

Girl: Not now. My career is just taking off – in fact – they are sending me abroad to work on a very important project – this assignment is very important for my career – “make or break” – so let’s wait till I come back. It’s just one year – then we will get married.


Circa 1982

Boy: I think we will have to postpone our marriage a bit. They are sending me overseas as commissioning crew of a brand new ship. Families are not allowed. So – let’s wait for one year till I come back.

Girl: Okay – meanwhile I will consolidate my career too. We will get married when you come back.


Circa 1983

Boy: Well – I am back. My sea-time will end soon too and I will get a comfortable shore appointment. So – let’s get married.

Girl: Can we wait for just one more year…? They are sending me abroad again – on a very prestigious project – as an independent manager – it’s very important for my career. The moment I come back next year – we’ll get married.


Circa 1984

Boy: Now – you are well settled in your career – so – let’s get married.

Girl: Actually – I am thinking of changing my job. I have got a great offer abroad – a “life changing” opportunity – they promised to fast-track my work visa too – if I join immediately. So – let’s wait for some time – just for a year or two. We will get married after that.


Two Years Later


Circa 1986

Boy: I am 30 years old now – and – you are 28. Let’s get married.

Girl: Okay – but you will have to quit the Navy and relocate abroad with me. I have decided to stay on in that country – the job is great – I love the place – and – I need to stay there continuously for a few years – to get residency – and then – for citizenship. Why don’t you quit the Navy…? Yes – I think it will be good for us  if you resign from your Navy job – which has no future in any case. We will get married and you can come overseas with me. I am sure you will find a good job there – or – you can do a course in some “skill shortage” area – and it will be even easier for you to get a good job over there.


The Boy did not resign from the Navy. 

Even if he had wanted to resign from the Navy – the Navy would not have allowed him to quit – at least for 10 years more – till he got “superseded” for promotion – and – the Boy was not interested in getting “superseded” – since he was serious about his Navy career.

So – the Boy did not relocate abroad to join his “sweetheart” over there in the foreign land.

The Boy remained in India – and – the Girl went abroad after her vacation was over.

And – their marriage was postponed once again. 

But this time – it turned out to be an “indefinite postponement” of their marriage…


30 Years Later


Circa 2016

Girl: Hey – what a pleasant surprise – seeing you after so many years – and here – of all places – in the busiest airport in the world…

Boy: Yes – it’s so good to see you too – it’s been 30 years – we last met in 1986 – isn’t it…?

Girl: So what are you doing here in the transit lounge – changing flights…?

Boy: Yes – going on a holiday…

Girl: That’s great – so – where is your family…?

Boy: No family – I am not married.

Girl: Divorced…? Or – you never got married…?

Boy: I never got married…

Girl: Me too…

Boy: Oh – you never got married…?

Girl: Yes. I am “happily single”. You know – after some time – I got used to being single – I started enjoying being single – so I stopped thinking about marriage.

Boy: Me too – I am enjoying my “bachelorhood”. And in the Navy – it is very easy to remain a bachelor – you are well looked after – so – I forgot about marriage.

Girl: Are you still in the Navy…?

Boy: No – I retired 3 years ago – and – now – I am enjoying life travelling all around the world – seeing all the places I wanted to see – there are so many in my “bucket list”…

Girl: That’s great. I wonder if I will be able to “retire” like you. I have my own company now…

Boy: Wow – you have really made it big…

Girl: Yes – I have done quite well in my career...

Boy: Hey – it’s time for my flight – so – see you – wish you all the best

Girl: Bye – it was nice meeting you – do enjoy your holiday…

Boy: Bye – Take Care…


So – once again – the Girl and the Boy parted ways – both “happily single” 


VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

Disclaimer:
This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)
  

Revised repost of my story A GIRL and A BOY posted online by me on Nov 28, 2016 at url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2016/11/a-girl-boy-love-story.html  etc

No comments: