Wednesday, March 14, 2012

SUNDOWNER - a Ginger Lemon a Day will keep the Doctor Away


GINGER LEMON
My Favourite Pick Me Up “SUNDOWNER”
By
VIKRAM KARVE


I love to exercise in the evenings – it makes you feel good and ensures sound sleep. In my heyday I used to play games or swim till I was physically exhausted and then I would soothe my tiredness by having a relaxing warm water bath. 

After that, as the sun set and twilight engulfed the sky, I would sit with a glass of Rum Pani (or occasionally Whisky-Soda), sipping slowly, allowing the alcohol to gently permeate through my inner self, till I was soaked in that wonderful feeling of drowsy relaxation which I cannot describe in words.

I have realized that if you want to really enjoy your food you should build up an appetite for it. 

It is the same for drinking - you have to build up an appetite for it. 

It has been my personal experience that I have truly enjoyed drinking the most whenever I had created the proper inner ambience for the enjoyment of alcohol.

But those were my halcyon days. 

Now, on the wrong side of 50, every evening, I go for a long walk with my pet dog Sherry followed by some light exercise in the Gym and after that I have the same relaxing warm water bath. 

Then, I sit in my tall open balcony, watching the sun set to my right, the orange ball of fire being swallowed and doused by the tranquil waters of the river Mula. 

Soon, after the riot of colours in the sky is over, twilight engulfs the surroundings and there is the awesome spectacle of twinkling lights on the Bangalore Mumbai highway in the distance and in the tall buildings in Pune across the river even farther away.

But in my hand there is no longer a glass of Rum Pani or Whisky Soda. 

Nowadays, I gently sip from a glass of my favourite sun-downer – chilled Ginger Lemon Soda.

It was on a typical hot sultry Mumbai afternoon in Dadar, many years ago, that I had my first taste of Ginger Lemon. 

The first sip was so refreshing and fortifying that I go hooked to this superbly tasty invigorating drink ever since. 

Delicious thirst quencher Ginger Lemon Cool Drink was available all over Mumbai, and in my neighbourhood restaurant Vihar, near Churchgate, they blended it in a mixer, so that it looked like an emulsion. 

I used to pick up bottles of Tina's Ginger-Lemon (my favourite brand) and make a glass of Ginger Lemon with soda at home whenever I felt like having a stimulating pick-me-up.

Soon I quit drinking alcohol and I realized that a cold glass of Ginger Lemon Soda was the ideal substitute – the drink I enjoyed most. 

I love its sweet and sour tangy taste and instant feel-good restorative effect.

In Pune, I could not find my favourite Tina’s Ginger Lemon so I make do with Mapro Lemon Ginger Squash which is nearly as good. 

RECIPE for Home Made Ginger Lemon Squash

It is easy to make Ginger Lemon Squash at home too. 

Put a cup of sugar, two cups of water and a spoon of freshly crushed ginger paste (with all its fibres) in a vessel on slow fire and keep stirring till it becomes syrupy. 

Then add half a cup of fresh lemon juice, stir a bit, and your Ginger Lemon Squash is ready. 

If you want fibres (to give you that extra “kick”) don’t strain the squash, otherwise you can strain it. 

Transfer to a bottle and keep in your fridge – you must keep it in a cool place and finish it quite fast  since there are no preservatives.

A refreshing glass of Ginger Lemon Soda is not only much tastier, but also much healthier than your customary evening glass of Whisky Soda or Rum Pani, and it is an excellent appetizer too. 

Both Ginger and Lemon have many beneficial health properties and a glass of ginger lemon soda a day will surely keep the doctor away.

That calls for a “drink”.

Cheers.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2012
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Did you like reading this post?
I am sure you will like all the 27 stories in my recently published book of short stories COCKTAIL
To order your COCKTAIL please click any of the links below:

http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html

COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the links below:
AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

Foodie Book:  Appetite for a Stroll
http://www.flipkart.com/appetite-stroll-vikram-karve/8190690094-gw23f9mr2o

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories, creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional research papers in journals and edited in-house journals for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for almost 15 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.


Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com
vikramkarve@gmail.com

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
  

3 comments:

eknath chavan said...

I,m Mr.chavan,the manufacturer of Tina's Ginger Lemon.many many thanks for liking our brand.this brand is also available in Pune.For availability,please contact on 09819034836/02224701345.
Email: tinagingerlemon@yahoo.co.in

eknath chavan said...

I'm Mr.Chavan,the manufacturer of Tina's Ginger Lemon.I feel very glad when I read your blog.For ordering Ginger Lemon please contact on:09819034836/02224701345.
Email: tinagimgerlemon@yahoo.co.in

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Thank you for your response Mr Eknath Chavan. Please let us know where Tina's Ginger Lemon is available in Pune. Please introduce it in D-Mart and other Malls / Departmental Stores all over India since Tina's is the best Ginger Lemon.