Tuesday, March 20, 2012

HOW TO REMAIN HAPPILY MARRIED FOREVER - the story of a Much-Married Couple


HOW TO REMAIN HAPPILY MARRIED FOREVER
EATING A MANGO TOGETHER and THE SECRET OF A LONG MARRIAGE
The Story of a Much-Married Couple
By
VIKRAM KARVE

The Mango Season is soon going to be here. 
We, my wife and I, are experiencing the much married feeling (We are completing 30 years of married life soon). 
So, on our marriage anniversary, we are going to cut a hapus Alphonso mango, share it together and tell each other this mango story, which encapsulates the secret of a long marriage ...

“happily married couple was celebrating the golden jubilee of their married life - the 50th wedding anniversary of their very happy and successful marriage.

They both loved mangoes and decided to start the glorious day with a delicious Alphonso mango first thing in the morning.

While serving the mango the subservient docile wife thought:

“For 50 years I have always sacrificed my own desires and been considerate towards my husband. I always gave him the deliciously sweet cheek of the mango, those succulent fleshy slices next to the skin of the mango which I love to eat. And I myself always sacrificed my desires and ate the sour pulpy part enveloping the seed of the mango. Enough is enough! Today I am going to enjoy the delicious cheeks of the mango and I will savour the heavenly sweet fleshy slices myself. And, for once, I will let my husband have the sour fibrous pulpy seed.”

So she cut the mango, took the sweet chunky slices of the mango cheeks herself and gave the pulpy seed of the mango to her husband, and she waited for his reaction with bated breath.

To her utter surprise, and contrary to her fears, her husband was very happy and he kissed her hand and said:

“My Darling, Thank You so much. You have just given me the greatest joy on our wonderful 50th wedding anniversary day. For 50 years I sacrificed my desires and I never ever asked you for the luscious tangy seed of the mango, which is what I like the most. I quietly ate the insipid mango cheeks you served me, even though I do not like them, because I always wanted you to enjoy and relish the tangy pulpy mango seeds which are so tasty.”


Dear Reader: Will you be so good and tell us the Moral of this Story.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2012
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.


Did you like this story?
I am sure you will like the stories in my recently published book COCKTAIL comprising twenty seven short stories about relationships. To order the book please click the links below:
http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html

COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the link below:
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and he is currently working on his novel. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories and creative non-fiction articles in magazines and journals for many years before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for almost 15 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts. 


Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com        

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
    


2 comments:

Richa Sonpatki said...

hahaha. Didn't expect that twist! I haven't been married for 30 years yet, so can't say what the moral is, but can't help thinking poor guys, they should have discussed this earlier.

Anonymous said...

The moral of the story is change and arguments. Sometimes change in simple routine might bring joy unfathomable and if the couple has argued at times, they would have known (quite succinctly) what the other dislikes :)
Mr. Karve it is strange that in 50 years together the wife/husband dont know what the other likes best. Communication, both as a romantic interlude or an argument is so important.