Sunday, March 29, 2015

Humor in Uniform - RITES OF INITIATION

Humour in Uniform

RITES OF INITIATION

Continued from Part 1 THE MILITARY “BRAIN”  
url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2015/03/humor-in-uniform-military-brain.html

and Part 2: THOUGHT “CONTROL”  
url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2015/03/humor-in-uniform-thought-control.html

PART 3 of the Crazy Commodore Series

RITES OF INITIATION
Unforgettable Characters I Met in the Navy
A Spoof
By
VIKRAM KARVE

Dear Reader – as I told you earlier in Part 1 and 2 – after slogging for 5 years in the Navy  afloat and ashore  I was “selected” to undergo the 2 year M. Tech. course at IIT Delhi. 

On completion of my post graduation (M.Tech.)  I was posted to the military “babudom” in Delhi – what we in the Navy jokingly referred to as the landlocked “Northern Naval Command”. 

Though ostensibly it was an R&D billet (in consonance with my recently acquired M.Tech. qualification)  in actual fact I was a pen-pusher  a “Babu” in Uniform.

I clearly remember the first day I reported to my new job after completing my M. Tech. at IIT Delhi.

The officer who I was relieving was delighted that I had reported.

He was a few years senior to me  and he was looking forward to proceeding for his sea time on a good ship.

He explained the duties of the position to me.

Then he took me to the Director (a Commodore)

“Has he been initiated? Has he successfully completed his initiation?” the Commodore asked him.

“No, Sir,” my predecessor said.

“Then why have you brought him to me? See that he is properly initiated first  and then bring him to me – you will be relieved of your duties only after that,” the Commodore said to my predecessor.

I was totally bamboozled  and I wondered what this “initiation” was all about.

I felt confused.

Was this office in the navy  or had I landed in some occult outfit?

To be frank  the sinister way in which the Commodore had said “has he been initiated”? – it sent shivers down my spine.

The whole thing sounded macabre  something paranormal.  

Yes  I was indeed truly terrified on hearing the Commodore’s words: “Has he been initiated? Has he successfully completed his initiation?” 

All sorts of scary thoughts filled my mind.

My imagination ran wild and I trembled with trepidation as I wondered what the “rites of initiation” would be like.

Would there be skulls, black magic, weird dances, eerie agonizing initiation rites, or even more macabre rituals  or worse still  something perverted, abnormal, or unnatural...?

“Don’t worry – it is not what you are thinking,” my predecessor said as if he was reading my thoughts, “You be ready at 6:30 in the evening – I will come and pick you up from your house.”

Well  in the evening  I realized that my fears were totally unfounded.

In fact  the so-called “initiation ceremony” turned out to be a damp squib.

I was taken to a rather salubrious, serene and tranquil place to learn meditation.

After the first training session was over  my predecessor said to me, “You keep coming here every morning and evening till you learn how to meditate properly.”

“Aye Aye, Sir,” I said.

“Please take it seriously and learn how to meditate quickly  so that I can be relieved and proceed for my sea time. It is only when the Guru rings up our boss and tells him you have learnt how to meditate can you start coming to office and take over my duties,” my predecessor pleaded with me.

I enjoyed learning how to meditate – it was a simple method based on breathing.

I learnt how to meditate in 3 days  and the Guru told me that I need not come to him anymore  but I must meditate twice a day at home.

So  in fact  this so-called “initiation” turned out to be quite good for me after all  and I often practice meditation even till today.

But I liked to practice meditation in my own time – in the mornings and evenings at home – because I felt that meditation was my personal affair.

However – our boss – the Commodore  did not think so.

For him  meditation was not a personal matter to be practiced in the privacy of your home.

He had institutionalized the practice of meditation – and everyone in the office was meditating away to glory.

Some were meditating individually.

Some were meditating in groups.

And if the boss saw you meditating  then you earned brownie points.

For example  let me tell you the story of the officer who had dozed off to sleep after imbibing a generous amount of beer at the customary Friday afternoon Pre Lunch Drinks (PLD) in the Navy wardroom.

Guzzling Chilled Beer on a Hot Summer Afternoon has a salutary effect  and so this officer was in deep slumber at his desk  when the Commodore peeped in with a file in his hand.

The officer sitting next to him, at the neighbouring desk, panicked and thought, “It seems to be something urgent  or else why would the Commodore come here to our office.”

So the officer at the neighbouring desk tried to wake up the sleeping officer.

“No,” signalled the Commodore with his hands.

Then  the Commodore said to the officer in soft admonishment, “Don’t disturb him. Can’t you see that he is meditating? When he finishes meditating  ask him to come to my office.”

We were encouraged to meditate singly.

We were encouraged to meditate in groups, especially at lunchtime.

And  once a week  there would be combined group meditation at lunchtime which was compulsory for everyone.

Yes  each and everyone had to attend the group meditation – from the Commodore right down to the office-boy.

The Commodore explained to us that whereas individual mediation would benefit us individually  group mediation would release positive vibes in the entire office  and this would improve interpersonal relationships  and indeed uplift the performance of the entire office.  

This combined group meditation was conducted by the Commodore in the main office hall.

It was during one such combined group meditation session  that suddenly – the Admiral urgently wanted to see the Commodore.

“Sir  no one is picking up the phone in the Commodore’s office,” the Admiral’s Staff Officer said.

“Then you personally go there and call him,” the Admiral shouted.

The Staff Officer returned empty handed and said, “Sir  the Commodore is not in his office. Even his PA is not there. So we don’t know if he has gone somewhere.”

“Then get some other officer from that directorate,” the Admiral said.

“Sir  there is no officer on his seat,” the Staff Officer mumbled.

“What nonsense!” the Admiral roared.

The angry Admiral stormed out of his office  and he started striding down the corridor  pushing open doors of offices  surprised to find them empty  till he reached the main office hall at the end of the corridor.

The Admiral pushed open the door of the main hall.

For a moment , the Admiral was stunned by what he saw.

Everyone  officers and staff  men and women  were sitting as if in a trance – eyes closed  and in deep meditation.

“Stop this nonsense!” the Admiral roared.

The Admiral’s loud voice broke our blissful trancelike spell of meditation.

Then the Admiral looked at the Commodore with angry eyes  and he shouted at the Commodore: “What the hell is wrong with you? Are you trying to make a cult or something? You come to my office immediately.”

That was the end of institutionalized group meditation.

However  the Commodore continued to exhort us to meditate surreptitiously in the office whenever we wanted to.

The Commodore did not give up – he kept on trying to convince the Admiral to get “initiated”.

But then  the Admiral was an elbow-bending down-the-hatch booze imbibing Naval Officer of the “old mould”.

The grizzly old Admiral believed that drowning yourself in spirits was a better way to achieve enlightenment than drowning yourself in spirituality.

To be continued in Part 4 ...

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This is a spoof, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Abridged and Updated Version of my article INITIATION RITES written by me Vikram Karve on 23 November 2013 and posted online in my various blogs including in my Academic and Creative Writing Journal Blog Earlier   at urls: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2013/11/humor-in-uniform-crazy-commodore-part-2.html  and  http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2014/06/humor-in-uniform-initiation-rites.html

No comments: