Saturday, March 21, 2015

GUDHI PADWA THOUGHTS - GOOD MORNING

GUDHI PADWA THOUGHTS - GOOD MORNING
A MORNING PRAYER TO SEIZE THE DAY
By
VIKRAM KARVE


Good Morning  Dear Reader.

Today is Gudhi Padwa  the first day of the Marathi Calendar – the beginning of the Maharashtrian New Year.

I woke up early – around 5 in the morning – and went out for a pre-dawn walk.

While on my walk – I remembered this article I had written a few years ago.

Ever since I remember – I begin my day with a small prayer of gratitude to Mother Earth.

I did so today too.

Wish you a Happy Gudhi Padwa.

Read on – Carpe Diem – Sieze the Day – the Year – and all days of your life.

BEGIN YOUR DAY WITH A PRAYER OF GRATITUDE TO MOTHER EARTH

Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi Karamadhye Saraswati 

कराग्रे वसते लक्ष्मिः करमध्ये सरस्वति  

Every morning, the moment I wake up at dawn, I open my eyes, put the two palms of my hand together, look at them and recite my Morning Shloka  this prayer was taught to me by my late maternal grandmother when I was a small boy.

Then, after reciting my morning prayer, I close my eyes, place the palms of my hands on my eyes and continue to lie down in bed and think about what I am going to do during the day. 

After a few moments, I move my hands all over my body to warm up and pep up my circulation, energize myself, and then I  get up, say Carpe Diem  and, yes, I seize the day and make the most of it.

Here is the morning prayer:

Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi Karamadhye Saraswati

कराग्रे वसते लक्ष्मिः करमध्ये सरस्वति 

Just click below and hear this meaningful and melodious prayer (it is very short - just 2 minutes). 

The Sanskrit prayer, the English Transliteration and the meaning in English are given below too. 

Dear Reader, first click the song below and hear this short prayer.

(After hearing the prayer please read the meaning of the prayer and my views)





कराग्रे वसते लक्ष्मिः करमध्ये सरस्वति 
करमूले तु गोविन्दः प्रभाते करदर्शनम् 
समुद्र-वसने देविपर्वत-स्तन-मंडिते 
विष्णु-पत्नि नमस्तुभ्यंपाद-स्पर्शं क्षमस्व मे 

Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi Karamadhye Saraswati,
Karamuule Tu Govinda Prabhaate Karadarshanam,
Samudravasane Devi Parvatastanamandale,
Vishhnupatni Namastubhyam Paadasparsham Kshamasva Me


Meaning of the Shloka in English

The front part of the hands (the finger tips) is credited to Goddess Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth. 

The middle part or palm is credited to Goddess Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning.

The Root of the hand (the part of hand near the wrist) to Govinda (the name of  Lord Krishna, an avatar of God Vishnu). 

So, every morning, one should have a reverent look at one's hand which represents sincere labour. 

I bow to Mother Earth, who has mountains and jungles on her body and whose clothing is made by the ocean. 

The wife of Lord Vishnu, please pardon me for touching you with my feet.

RISE AND SHINE
HOW TO WAKE UP IN THE MORNING

Never use an alarm clock which wakes you up in a disturbing manner.

Get up naturally and gradually open your eyes. 

And then as sleep goes away and you slowly come to your senses, just hold your palms above you, look at them and say this morning prayer (or any inspiring thought you like). 

After this short prayer of paying obeisance to the Goddesses Laxmi and Saraswati and God Vishnu and expressing gratitude to Mother Earth, you must close your eyes, place the palms of your hands on your eyes and continue to lie down in bed for a few moments thinking about what you are going to do during the day. 

This palming is good for your eyes too and gives you a sense of inner peace. 

So just close your eyes, place your palms on your eyes, and contemplate about the day ahead. 

(Do not think about yesterday or about tomorrow, just focus on today). 

Then after a few moments, move your hands all over your body to pep up your circulation, energize yourself, and then get up, say to yourself Carpe Diem – and, yes, you will seize the day and make the most of it.

If your day begins well the rest of the day will be good. 

Yes, a good morning makes a good day.

As they say: well begun is half done.

More importantly, this helps you live one day at a time.

I try my best to live one day at a time. 

For me every morning is a new day, a new life

So I try my best to make the most of it - yes, I make the most of the present day.

Then I hit the bed and go to sleep, forget about the day which is over and gone forever and wake up to another fresh new day. 

And when I wake up, I say my morning prayer, get into a positive mood, and Carpe Diem - I seize the new day.

Remember, the manner in which you wake up in the morning decides the quality of your day

So, Dear Reader, wish you a very Happy Gudhi Padwa and, in the year ahead, do wake up well.

Have a great day today.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This is the way I begin my day. You can begin the day in the way it suits you best and as per your beliefs.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.


No comments: