Thursday, April 26, 2018

Experimental Creative Writing – Story Begining (After the Ending)

Continued from The Wedding Gift Part 3 url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2018/04/experimental-creative-writing-story.html 

In the blog post above  I told you the Ending of the Story. 

Now – here is the beginning and middle... 

THE WEDDING GIFT – Part 1
Fiction Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE

New Delhi
Circa 1982  

(NB: This Story happened 36 years ago in 1982. At that time – there were no mobile phones, no internet, no email – nothing. Even landline phones were not given to junior officers like me – and – even in the office – we shared a phone kept in the centre of the office – so there was no privacy at all. So – in the absence of the communication facilities we have today – the best way to communicate with friends was to meet and talk to each other)

Part 1

My “girlfriend” was getting married – to someone else.

It was expected.

We – my “girlfriend” Nisha and Me – we knew that our “worlds” were different – and – it was impractical for us to get married to each other – so – we did not have any unrealistic expectations from our friendship.

So – we kept our friendship at the “platonic” level.

Yes – we are happy as we were – just pure friends – and we did not want to take our relationship to the “next level”.

But – Nisha and Me – we were good friends.

We met every Saturday morning – in the Library – on Curzon Road (now known as Kasturba Gandhi Marg) – and then – after our browsing was over – we would go out for lunch to some place in Connaught Place (CP) which was nearby.

One Saturday morning – the moment she saw me – Nisha said excitedly:

“I am getting married…”

“When…?” I asked.

“My wedding is on the 3rd of next month…” she said.

“So fast…?”

“Yes – everything happened very fast – the “Boy” and his parents came over on Wednesday – and the marriage was fixed…”

“You met the “Boy” only once…?”

“Yes. You know how it is in our society. The elders decide everything…”

“Yes…” I said.

“At least one thing is good – I won’t have to live in a joint family in his village. My “would-be-husband” has managed to get transferred to Delhi – so we will live in Delhi…” she said.

“That’s good…” I said.

I wondered whether Nisha would continue her friendship with me after her marriage – it all depended on how “broadminded” her husband was.

We met again the next Saturday – and Nisha gave me her wedding invitation card.

“I am sorry – but I won’t be able to attend your wedding…” I said to Nisha.

“Why…? You have to come…” she said.

“I have to go abroad on duty for a training course. I have to leave on the 1st – just 2 days before your wedding…” I said.

“Do you have to go…?” she asked – her disappointment was visible on her face.

“You know how it is – I tried my best – but I have to go. But – it’s only for a month – I’ll meet you here in the library on the first Saturday after I come back…” I said.

“Yes – I will be back from my honeymoon by then…” she said.

“Honeymoon – already planned…?”

“Just 3 days in Mussoorie – he has to join duty on the 10th of next month here in Delhi…” Nisha said.

“Okay…” I said.

We browsed in the library for some time – and then we had lunch at Gaylord in CP.

As I said “good bye” to Nisha – I somehow got the feeling that it was the end of our beautiful friendship. 

End of Story (Part 1) – Part 2 will be added soon... 

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved) 

This Blog Post Continued From The Wedding Gift Part 3 url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2018/04/experimental-creative-writing-story.html
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: