Tuesday, October 27, 2015

DO YOU TRUST YOUR “EX” ?

DO YOU TRUST YOUR EX ?
IS LOVE DIFFERENT FROM TRUST ?
Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE


LOVE and TRUST – Short Fiction Story by Vikram Karve

“Good Morning.”

“Good Morning, Sir.”

“Please be seated.”

“Thank you, Sir.”

“As the HR Head – it is my duty to advise you regarding a few matters – I hope it is okay if I ask you a few personal questions.”

“Yes, Sir – it is okay – please freely ask me whatever you want to.”

“You got divorced 6 months ago.”

“Yes.”

“But I see that you have not changed your nomination for provident fund, company group insurance etc – the nominee is still your ex-husband.”

“Yes.”

“I suggest you change the nomination…”

“No.”

“No?”

“I do not wish to change the nomination – I want my ex-husband be the nominee for all my financial affairs…”

“But why…?”

“Because I trust him – I totally trust my ex-husband.”

“You trust your ex-husband even after divorcing him – that’s amazing…”

“Of course I fully trust my ex-husband. He did not cheat me – I was the one who cheated him by having an extramarital affair – that was the reason for our divorce…”

“Oh…”

My ex-husband was always faithful to me – it was I who was unfaithful to him…”

“But…”

I have full faith in my ex-husband – in fact – he still manages all my financial affairs – my bank accounts – my stocks and mutual funds – my investments – he pays all my bills – everything – I don’t even know how much money I have in the bank – I do not have a clue as to what my investments are – or what bills I have to pay – my ex-husband does everything – just like it was before – when we were married…”

“Really…?”

“Yes – our bank accounts remain the same – including my salary account – and my ex-husband does all the banking and he operates all my accounts – he does everything – he keeps the passbooks – does the internet banking – I do not even know the login and passwords…”

“What are you saying…? It is unbelievable...”

“Yes – we have a safe deposit locker with all my jewellery – he handles that too…”

“All that was fine when you were married to him – it may have been okay when you were just divorced  but now…?”

“But now…?”

“Well – I understand that you have remarried…”

“That is right – I got remarried 3 months ago – I submitted the marriage declaration along with the marriage certificate…”

“Yes – that is why I have called you – to advise you – that you should now put your new husband’s name as the nominee for your provident fund, insurance etc…”

“Is it a compulsion…? Is it mandatory for me to nominate my new husband…?”

“No – No – you are free to nominate whoever you wish – but normally – it is advisable to nominate your ‘next-of-kin’ – which happens to be your spouse – your new husband – so it is my duty to advise you to nominate him…”

“I do not wish to nominate my new husband…”

“But why…?”

“I do not trust him…”

“What…? You do not trust your new husband…? Why…?”

“Because he is a cheat…”

“What are you saying – that your new husband is a cheat…?”

“Yes. Like me – my new husband too is a cheat. I cheated on my ex-husband – he cheated on his ex-wife – we had an extramarital affair – we got caught – our spouses divorced us – and then – we two lovers got married…”

“Oh…”

“Tell me – how can I trust a man who was unfaithful to his wife…?”

“If you do not trust him – why did you marry him…?”

“Because I love him…”

“It’s amazing – you love your new husband – but you do not trust him…”

“Yes – I love him  but I do not trust him.”

“So – you do not wish to change your nomination – you wish that your ex-husband is the nominee for all your financial affairs – your provident fund, insurance, bank accounts etc…”

“Yes – I want my ex-husband to be the nominee and look after all my financial affairs…”

“Okay.”

“Sir – I have one request…”

“Yes – go ahead…”

“I hope our conversation will be kept confidential.”

“Of course – you can rest assured that not a word will go outside this room.”

“Thank you, Sir – may I go now…?”

“Yes – thank you for your time – it was a most enlightening conversation – I always thought that love and trust mean the same thing – that love implies trust – but now  it seems  that you can love someone  but not trust him – and you can trust someone  but not love him...

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

Revised Version of My Story LOVE AND TRUST posted online earlier in my Academic and Creative Writing Journal Vikram Karve Blog on September 28, 2015 at url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2015/09/love-and-trust.html

No comments: