Monday, January 10, 2022

“Friend-Zoned” : Part 1

Romance

FRIEND-ZONED

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

 

_______

 

Mumbai (then called Bombay)

Circa – 1970’s  

_______

PART 1

_______

FRIENDZONED

_______

 

Nisha had “friend-zoned” me.

I was desperately in love with Nisha – but – Nisha had clearly defined the parameters of our relationship.

Once – when I tried to get close to her – Nisha told me categorically that she enjoyed my friendship – but – she did not want any romantic or sexual relationship with me.

I was romantically attracted to Nisha.

But – for her – I was just a friend – a buddy.

Nisha had “friend-zoned” me – and – I had accepted it – because – I desired her company – and – I had a glimmer of hope – that one day – she may reciprocate my love.

________

Dear Reader – when this story happened – 45 years ago – in the 1970’s – I didn’t know the term “friend-zoned”.

“Friend-Zoned” is the opposite of “Friends with Benefits”.

Between Nisha and Me – it was a pure platonic non-sexual friendship – without any amorous or carnal “benefits”.

It was a one-way “friend-zoning”.
Nisha had “friend-zoned” me – but – I very much had a romantic and sexual interest in her – and – I hoped that one day she would “un-friendzone” me – and – I would be able to make love to her – even marry her.
In the early days of our friendship – I did try to get amorous with her – but – she would politely demur and decline my advances.

Once – while we were sitting on the parapet on Marine Drive after the sun had set – I was overcome by passionate desire and I tried to kiss her – but – she pushed me away and broke in to tears – and said to me: “If you try this again – I will never meet you ever – for the rest of my life…”

“But why…?” I said, “I really love you…”

“If you really love me then listen to me…” she said, “you are the only true friend I have – and I want our friendship to remain forever…”

“Yes – we will always be friends – let’s have a more “intimate” friendship…” I was saying – when she interrupted me.

“No…” she said, ““Sex is the easiest way to ruin a friendship…”

“I don’t understand the logic in what you say…” I said, “I thought sex would cement our friendship…”

She smiled at me – and – she patted me on my cheek.

“You are such a simple boy – I am sure I am the first girlfriend in your life – that’s why you seem so confused – I have plenty of experience in this – you take my word for it – the easiest way to ruin a good friendship is to have sex…” she said to me, “trust me – let’s keep sex out of your relationship – if we keep our friendship at the platonic level – it will be a happy and everlasting friendship…”

So – Nisha and Me – we became platonic friends – and – though I yearned for her – I never made romantic advances towards her again.

________

Story to be continued in Part 2 

________ 

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh. 
2. This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
3. E&OE

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: