Saturday, October 30, 2010

FRIENDSHIP


FRIENDSHIP
A Philosophical Approach
By
VIKRAM KARVE

I invest in books. Just like some other investments, where one invests and forgets about it for years, sometimes I buy a book and may not read it for years.

Whenever I buy a book, I always write the date and place of purchase. This morning while I was cleaning my bookcase, I came across a book titled A Source Book in Chinese Philosophy which I had picked up on 26 Jan 2003 at the annual Strand Book Fair at Churchgate Mumbai. I opened a random page and here is the gem of ancient wisdom that I read:

Confucius said: “There are three kinds of Friendship which are Beneficial and three kinds of Friendship which are Harmful.

Friendship with the Upright, with the Truthful, and with the well-informed is beneficial.

Friendship with those who flatter, with those who are meek and who compromise with principles, and with those who talk cleverly is harmful.”

So, dear reader, while selecting who to befriend, bear in mind the above analect of Confucius.  

Well I always believe that it is best to have a philosophical approach to life. So I am going to read this book, and from time to time I will share with you some gems of ancient wisdom with you in my blog.

VIKRAM KARVE

VIKRAM KARVE educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU, Lawrence School Lovedale, and Bishop's School Pune, is an Electronics and Communications Engineer by profession, a Human Resource Manager and Trainer by occupation, a Teacher by vocation, a Creative Writer by inclination and a Foodie by passion. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories and creative non-fiction articles in magazines and journals for many years before the advent of blogging. His delicious foodie blogs have been compiled in a book "Appetite for a Stroll". Vikram lives in Pune with his family and pet Doberman girl Sherry, with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts. 
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog - http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com
Academic Journal Vikram Karve – http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile of Vikram Karve - http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
Beautiful words of wisdom there.

I usually donot analyse my friends, take them as they are. But I am very intuitive and know exactly who means what to me and why...
Your words made me think, put my relationships into perspective and I realise how those words fit into some of my recent experiences in life.

yeah...I collect books too, date them like you said and it is always a pleasure to go back and find something nice to read...
have a great weekend:)

Aashu said...

Must say, words of wisdom there. But, for me friendship has always been a way to cool my mind off. Having some time off with friends, howsoever they are like, is what I look for from them. Well, the words that you have quoted come from a book, what are your own thoughts about it like???

I am not quite of a bookworm kind. More one that here: I don't think I need anything to read

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Aashu
A friend is someone with whom you can be yourself - no mask, no pretence, no faking emotions.
Vikram Karve

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Akshaara
Your picture shows your best friend beside you...!!!