Monday, April 26, 2021

The Friend

Short Fiction

THE FRIEND

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

_______

Part 1

My Office in Pune

_______

“Sir – there is someone to see you…” my Personal Assistant (PA) says.

“Who…?” I ask her.

“A “Mr. Vijay”…!” my PA says, “he says that he was your classmate in Engineering College…”

“Vijay…? Is he standing in front of you…? I ask my PA.

“No, Sir – he is waiting in the reception lounge. The receptionist had called…” my PA says.

“That’s good…” I say to my PA, “Well – I don’t remember him. Tell the receptionist to tell him that I am not free – that I am busy in a meeting…”

“Yes, Sir…” my PA says – and I put down the intercom phone.

So – Vijay wants to meet me.

I told my PA that I don’t remember who Vijay is.

But – of course I remember Vijay – my best friend in college – my hostel-mate – the person who was closest to me for the 5 years we studied for our B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering – around 50 years ago – in the 1970’s.

Dear Reader – you must be wondering why I did not want to meet my best from college.

Let me tell you why.

I am successful industrialist – I now have multiple businesses – so – well – you can say that I am a business magnate – you can even call me a “tycoon”.

But – I am a self-made man.

After my Engineering – I worked for 10 years in the industry – on the shopfloor – learning everything – then – I became an entrepreneur – I started off on my own – I failed badly – but – I rose from the ashes – so to speak – and I tried again – worked very hard – and – I succeeded – yes – my success was even beyond my own expectations – and now – I have multiple businesses – manufacturing – trading – even shipping.

My success is due to hard-work and professionalism – and of course “luck” – and most important – my HR “mantra” – No Nepotism – No Cronyism – there is no place for “relatives” and “friends” in business.

Also – I remember the days when I was down in the dumps – when my first attempt at business had failed – at that time – no one had helped me – they all turned out to be “fair weather friends”.

When you fail – people shun you – even your near and dear ones think you are a “loser”.

But – the moment you become successful – they all swarm towards you – like bees around a honeycomb – they all want to take advantage of you – and seek undue favours from you – all “leeches” – who want to exploit you.

That is why – as a matter of principle – I avoid relatives, friends, classmates etc. – and I don’t meet anyone in office – or even at home – as far as possible.

My success “mantra” has worked – business is to be run professionally – No Nepotism – No Cronyism – no place for “relatives” and “friends” in business.

That is why I avoided meeting my classmate Vijay who suddenly turned up at my office.

I wondered what he wanted…?

Vijay had joined the Navy after his Mechanical Engineering degree – in fact – he had been selected in the “University Entry Scheme” and had been commissioned when we were in our final year of Engineering and was getting a handsome salary too – I remembered the party he had given us and he always treated us too.

Then we lost contact – since he was posted on ships – and – I took up my first job in a factory in Pune.

We had last met in the alumni meet held in our college 10 years ago when I had been awarded the distinguished alumni award.

On the insistence of our classmates – we gave a musical performance – Vijay sang a song – and played the guitar – just like we did during our hostel days.

Before we said goodbye – Vijay told me that he had quit the Navy and joined Shipping – the Merchant Navy.

Ah – so that’s why he wanted to meet me.

Maybe he wanted a job in my shipping company.

We were looking for a CEO, some Superintendents, even some Masters – and – maybe – he had found out.

It was a wise decision on my part not to meet him – I had avoided the embarrassment of refusing the request of a close friend.

I had upheld my principle – my success “mantra” – business is to be run professionally – No Nepotism – No Cronyism – no place for “relatives” and “friends” in business.

________

Part 2

My Home in Pune

_________

When I reached home after work in the evening – my wife says to me: “Your friend had come home in the afternoon…”

“Vijay…?” I ask her.

“Yes…” she says.

“He had come to the office…” I say.

“I know – he told me that you were busy in a meeting – and wouldn’t be free whole day – so – he came home…” my wife says.

“He came to the office – then – he came home – he must be desperately wanting something from me…” I say.

“I don’t think he wanted anything from you. On the contrary – he wanted to give something to you…” she says.

“He wanted to give something to me…?” I say – surprised.

“Yes – see that box over there – there is a musical instrument inside – it’s some sort of guitar – he told me the name – but – I don’t remember exactly…” my wife says.

I walk across to the table – and – I open the box.

I am overwhelmed by emotion when I see what is in the box – I experience a delightful feeling of tremendous happiness – thrilling joy – a sense of ecstasy I feel when I get something I have passionately wanted and yearned to possess – for a long time.

I lovingly pick up the musical instrument – and – I say to my wife: This is the Bağlama – the “saz-bağlama” – a Turkish Lute Guitar – I wanted this so much – I have all types of guitars – now – my collection will be enriched by this beautiful Bağlama…”

My wife smiles and says: “Your friend told me that you would be very happy to see this – he told me how you two would perform during your college days – you would play the guitar and he would sing…”

“Yes…” I say – I strum the strings of the Bağlama – and I say, “it is nicely tuned…”

“He told me that he bought it in Istanbul – from the best musical store – and got it tuned for you – he said you would love it…” my wife says.

“Istanbul…? He must have signed-off from his ship over there…” I say.

“No. He told me that he had gone to Istanbul in connection with chartering of a ship…” she says.

“Chartering of a ship…?” I say, surprised, “I thought he was still sailing – that’s what he told me the last time we met…”

“That was 10 years ago – he seems to have done well since then – I think he has his own shipping company now – that’s what his card says…?” my wife picks up a visiting card from the side table and holds it out.

I gently put the Saz-Bağlama back into its case – walk across to my wife – and take the business card from her.

“Wow – Monaco…!!!” I say – full of awe – Vijay is the “Director – he owns the shipping company

The shipping company name looks familiar.

I google his company name – it becomes quite clear – he has taken over the company a few days ago – bought it.

I feel very guilty for avoiding to meet him – just imagine – I thought he wanted a job in my shipping company – when actually – he owns a shipping company much better than mine.

I feel ashamed of myself.

I thought he wanted something from me – but – he wanted to give this priceless guitar to me.

I look at my wife and ask her: “Where is he staying…? I must meet him…”

“He must be on his way to Singapore…” my wife said.

“Singapore…?”

“He told me that he was going to fly directly from Istanbul to Singapore – but – he found this guitar…”

“Saz-Bağlama – this instrument is called the Bağlama…” I interrupt.

“Yes – whatever it is called – he said that he knew of your fascination for guitars – so – when he saw Turkish Guitars while window-shopping in Istanbul – he immediately decided to gift it to you – so – he changed his flight – and – flew via Mumbai. He came from Mumbai to Pune by Taxi just to give you the Guitar – you refused to see him in your office – so – he found out your home address from the receptionist – and – came here to deliver the gift…” my wife says.

“I wish I had met him in office. I am so feeling so guilty for my boorish behaviour – what did he say to you…?” I say.

“He had a cup of tea. He talked a bit about your college days – about your love for music – how you loved playing the guitar while he sang. I asked him to stay for lunch – but – he said that he had to catch the evening flight to Singapore – and – he left for Mumbai Airport in the same taxi…” my wife says, “He wanted to speak to you – but – I told him that you don’t like being disturbed in office…”

I feel terrible – extremely contrite – filled with remorse – never before have I felt so ashamed of myself.

“Everything has gone wrong today…” I say, “what will he think of me – that I am a snob. I will call him right now and apologize…

I call the number on the business card – but – it is switched off – the flight must have taken off.

My wife looks at the “Saz-Bağlama” and says: “It is such a beautiful guitar – it must be quite expensive…”

“For me – it is priceless…” I say.

I pick up the “Saz-Bağlama” Turkish Guitar and say to my wife: “I am going to the music room…”

“We are supposed to go for that dinner party to…”

“No…” I interrupt my wife, “I am in no mood for parties. I am feeling upset. I need to be alone with my music. And – I will not feel at ease till I speak to Vijay…”

“Okay…” my wife says, “Oh – I forgot – he has brought one more thing for you from Istanbul…”

She points to a bottle of Raki – the deliciously tasty liquor from Turkey – which turns milky white when you add water to it.

“Keep the Raki bottle in the liquor cabinet…” I say to my wife, “I will enjoy it with Vijay when we have our music session together – I will play the “Saz-Bağlama” and he will sing…”

“Will he come…?” she asks.

“Of course he will come…” I say, “I will speak to him the moment he lands in Singapore and ask him to spend a few days with us in Pune on his way back to Monaco…”

“Hope he has time to stopover…” she says.

“The only way I can make amends for my churlish behaviour is to play this “Saz-Bağlama” for him – which he got so lovingly for me – and – if he doesn’t have time – we will go to Monaco…” I say to my wife.

__________


VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

No comments: