Monday, September 7, 2020

The Worst Boss

THE WORST BOSS I EVER HAD

Story from My Vizag Navy Days

By

VIKRAM KARVE

-----------------

PROLOGUE

Do you remember the worst boss you ever had in your career…?

I do. 

It was Commodore “P” – the most “sadistic”, callous and coldblooded boss I ever had in the Navy – a terrible fellow. 

This was in Vizag (Visakhapatnam) – around 30 years ago – in the end 1980’s/early 1990’s – during my appointment in the prestigious Naval Dockyard at Vizag. 

Dear Reader – let me tell you a bit about Commodore “P” – the worst boss I ever had… 

------------------------- 

Vizag (Visakhapatnam) – Circa 1989 

PART 1 – MIDNIGHT CALL 

I was woken up from my deep sleep by the shrill ring of the telephone. 

Actually – it was my wife who heard the phone ring. 

My wife poked me hard in the ribs – and she said to me: “Are you dead…? Can’t you hear the phone…?” 

Well – I was good as dead – I had gone to sleep “dead drunk” – after a heavy working day – a brisk jog up Dolphin’s Nose and back – a vigorous swim in the Navy Pool – a hot water bath at home – followed by half a bottle of Rum – a heavy dinner – a bout of frenzied lovemaking – all this had exhausted me totally – and – put me into an unconscious state of deep deadened sleep. 

I lay down in my “comatose” stupor – listening with irritation to the shrill ring of the phone. 

My wife poked me in my ribs once more – and said: “Go and pick up the phone…” 

I woke up from my cataleptic stupor. 

I felt disoriented – but – I managed to stagger to the phone – which was kept on a table in the passageway. 

I picked up the phone and identified myself. 

“Come Over…” the voice at the other end said – and then – the person at the other end disconnected the phone. 

I recognized the voice – it was my boss – Commodore “P”. 

As was his style – he had uttered just two words: “Come Over…”

 Commodore “P” believed in brevity. 

“Come Over…” that’s all he said – no “why” – no details.

“What’s the matter…?” my wife asked. 

“It’s Commodore “P” – my boss…” I said, “He wants me to come over…” 

“Now…?” my wife exclaimed, “It is past 11 o’clock at night – almost midnight…” 

“Must be something urgent…” I said, “I’ll walk down to his house and meet him…” 

“You better wash up…” my wife said, “You are totally drunk – I’ll make some coffee too – just to sober you up a bit…” 

-----------------------

Dear Reader – while I wash up and have some coffee to sober up – here is a small digression: 

If you are a Navy Veteran – and have served in Vizag in the 1970s/1980s – you may have lived in Naval Park. 

(Sometime in the 1980s – Naval Park “Annexe” was built – comprising multi-storey buildings – but – I was lucky to get a house in the original Naval Park) 

The Naval Park comprised lovely old style houses. 

Each building had 3 Storeys – a total of 6 houses – two houses on each floor – with spacious terraces in between. 

I was lucky to get a ground floor house – with a lawn in front – garage on the side – and – garden in the rear. 

We were a mix of occupants in the 6 houses in our building – and in the similar block of 6 houses opposite – 12 of us with varying ranks from Lieutenant Commander to Commodore – from diverse ships and shore establishments – and the spacious common area in between the two buildings was called “Nukkad” – and we would have frequent impromptu “pot luck” get-togethers there – especially during “load shedding” (power cuts) – which happened quite frequently in the evenings. 

Those days – it took 11 years of commissioned service to become a Lieutenant Commander – and – the type of married accommodation was the same from Major to Brigadier (Lieutenant Commander to Commodore) – so all of us lived together in common housing in Naval Park – while there were 4 separate Bungalows for Rear Admirals – and the “CinC” – a Vice Admiral – he lived in his appointment house in Vizag City. 

My boss – a Commodore – lived on a ground floor house similar to mine – in an identical building near our house. 

Digression over – story continues…

--------------------------

Actually – Commodore “P” was not my direct boss – he was the boss of my boss – Captain “K” – a senior Captain (IN) – who had “switched off” and got out of the “rat race”. 

Captain “K” had accepted the fact that he had reached his level of incompetence – and he had decided to enjoy his remaining years in the Navy till superannuation in peace and tranquility. 

So – Captain “K” astutely remained out of the “firing line” – and he let me have it nice and proper from Commodore “P”. 

And now – Commodore “P” had called me at this unearthly hour – it was well past 11 PM – almost midnight. 

I changed into trousers and bush shirt – wore my sandals – and – to sober up – I gulped down the coffee my wife had hurriedly prepared. 

Then – I walked towards the house of Commodore “P” – which was nearby. 

As I reached the ground floor house – I noticed that the light in the drawing room was on. 

Commodore “P” must be waiting for me in his drawing room – I thought. 

I rang the doorbell. 

The door opened. 

I had expected Commodore “P” to open the door. 

But – it was his wife – Mrs. “P” – who opened the door. 

Mrs. “P” was a most refined, gracious and elegant lady. 

“Good Evening, Ma’am…” I said to her, “Your husband had called me on the phone – he wanted to see me…” 

“He hasn’t come home…” she said. 

“Is he still in his office…?” I asked. 

“Yes…” she said, “I had called his PA half an hour ago. The PA said that my husband was busy working…” 

“I am sorry for the inconvenience, Ma’am…” I said, “I’ll go to his office and meet him…” 

“Yes – I think you do that…” Mrs. “P” said. 

“Good Night, Ma’am…” I said. 

“Good Night…” Mrs. “P” said. 

She smiled at me – and – as I began to leave – she closed the door. 

-------------------------

To Be Continued...

-------------------------


VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This article is a spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

No comments: