Sunday, June 26, 2016

My Favorite Cool Drink – “Bajirao Mastani”

Yesterday afternoon I enjoyed a fiery Kolhapuri Style meal for lunch – and then – I rounded off the hot spicy meal with a cool soothing Mastani.

MASTANI
PUNE’S SIGNATURE COOL DRINK
By
VIKRAM KARVE 

MASTANI  PUNE’S SIGNATURE COOL DRINK

What is a perfect end to a rich and heavy Mughlai Meal...? 

A Kulfi...? 

Well  I prefer a cool refreshing Falooda

I nostalgically remember the the ice cold Shahi Gulab Falooda I always had at Shalimar in Bhendi Bazar after devouring my favorite tandoori raan masala and other spicy rich non-veg delights. 

And  what is a perfect end to a spicy Kolhapuri Meal...? 

It is a Mastani” – no doubt about it – a cool, refreshing, lip-smacking Mastani to quench your fires and perk you up with its blissful sweet cool revitalizing effect. 

Mastani is to Pune what Falooda is to Mumbai.

You get Mastani at many places in Pune. 

The first time I tasted Mastani (when I was a small boy) was at Kawre Cold Drink House near Ganpati Chowk off Laxmi Road  but now  I feel that their Mastani isn’t as good as before.

Punekar’s have their favorites like Sujata Mastani in Sadashiv Peth  which is close to the “Kolhapuri” food district of Pune near Peru Gate.

But  I like the Mastani at Gujar Mastani House near City Pride Multiplex on Satara Road. 

At Gujar Mastani House  I order a “Bajirao Mastani”.

If you look at the menu 
 you will get confused  as there feature all types of fancy Mastani fortified with dry fruits and all sorts of rich high-calorie embellishments  which will in fact will make you feel heavy and slothful  rather than quench, stimulate, revitalize and perk you up. 

So remember the golden rule  in any menu card – the “signature” no-frills authentic item will always be at the top of the menu  least expensive in that class – so go ahead and order it. 

Here is a Picture of the “Bajirao Mastani” I relished just yesterday. 


Bajirao Mastani

The contents of the tall glass comprise an attractively appetizing looking and fragrant layered creamy milky liquid of increasing density topped with ice-cream  with a straw thrust vertically through.  

The glass is so full  that in order not to spill the stuff  you first sip through the straw a bit of the deliciously sweet pineapple syrup at the bottom  which feels heavenly as it mingles with  permeates  and overcomes  the spicy “Kolhapuri” aftertaste on your tongue. 

And  if you are just plain parched, dehydrated and thirsty  the first sweet sip itself is deliciously thirst-quenching. 

Then  you have small dollops of vanilla and pineapple ice-creams that adorn the crown. 

After that  you can savour the Mastani as you please  but I like to stir the contents into a creamy mélange  and spoon the delicious concoction onto my tongue  roll it in my mouth  and savor every drop  rather than hastily suck the liquid via the straw straight into my throat down the hatch.

The “Bajirao Mastani” at Gujar is pineapple and orange flavored and the small juicy pieces of pineapple at the end leave you with a tangy feeling.  

I don’t know if you get “Mastani” in Mumbai  or elsewhere. 

But next time you visit Pune  do enjoy a Mastani. 

Eat a “Kolhapuri” meal to your heart’s content  and end off with a Mastani.

Or  just have a Mastani if you are feeling parched on a hot summer day as a thirst-quencher. 

Do tell me  after enjoying a cool soothing glass of Mastani  didn’t you feel refreshed and perked up...? 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

No comments: