Tuesday, September 11, 2012

BIRTHDAY RESOLUTION - 12 September 2012


BIRTHDAY RESOLUTION
By 
VIKRAM KARVE

Tomorrow is 12 September - my birthday. 

Let me make a birthday resolution.

Maybe I will try to stop complaining grumbling moaning and be happy wherever I am and cheerful with whatever I have got. 

So the moment I wake up early in the morning tomorrow, on my birthday, the first thing I am going to do is to tell myself this ancient wisdom story, an inspirational tale, called TWO WORDS :

TWO WORDS 

There was once a monastery that was very strict and all monks were required to strictly follow a vow of silence

No one was allowed to speak at all.

But there was one exception to this rule. 

After every ten years the monks were permitted to speak two words.

After spending his first ten years at the monastery one young monk was called by the Head Monk.

The Head Monk asked the young monk: “It has been ten years since you arrived here. What are the two words you would like to speak…?” 

“BED HARD…” said the monk.  

“I see,” said the Head Monk without a trace of emotion and the he quietly walked away.  

Ten years later, the young monk was gain summoned to the Head Monk’s office.

The Head Monk asked him, “It has been ten more years. What are the two words you would like to speak…?”

“FOOD STINKS…” said the young monk. 

“I see,” the Head Monk said nonchalantly and he quietly walked away.  

Yet another ten years passed and the young monk was once again called to the Head Monk’s office.

The Head Monk asked the young monk, “What are your two words now, after these ten years…?”  

“I QUIT…!” said the young monk. 

“Well I can see why,” replied the Head Monk, “All you ever do is to carp and complain.”  


Well, at least for the next one year, till my next birthday, I am not going to Crib, Carp, Moan, Groan or Complain.

I will try my best to adjust myself to the prevailing situation and then with a positive approach try to make the best of it. 

I will always try to have a positive attitude and optimistic temperament.


I am going Cheer Up and enjoy my Birthday.

Dear Reader, you too Have a Good Day... 

And don't forget to wish me a Happy Birthday


VIKRAM KARVE

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, IIT (BHU) Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories, creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional research papers in journals and edited in-house journals for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for 15 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.

6 comments:

Rinzu said...

I made one such discovery about my inner self on my birthday this year. insightful read.! I write here www.rinzurajan.blogspot.in

(in)sane mind said...

u write very well......

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Hi Rinzu,
You've got a great blog. I have subscribed and am going to read your writing regularly.
Keep Blogging
BTW, Do tell us about the discovery about your inner self you made on your birthday.
Regards
Vikram

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Thanks - domesticgodess -nextdoor

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Thanks - domesticgodess -nextdoor

theartandcraftgallery said...

Wish you many happy returns of the day! I like the story and your resolution.