Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Homecoming – Parts 1 and 2

Short Fiction

HOMECOMING

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

______

 

Auckland Airport – circa 2016

______

PART 1

______

 

I was delighted to see my daughter waiting for me at the exit of Auckland International Airport.

“You have grown so tall – and – you look so pretty…” I said to her.

My daughter smiled – she gave me a warm hug – and – she said to me:

“It’s been 3 years – I am so happy to see you, Daddy – I was eagerly waiting to see you – but – you took so much time – your flight landed more than an hour ago…”

“Immigration didn’t take much time – my bag arrived quickly too – but – there was delay at biosecurity – an old lady ahead of me in the queue had brought home-made pickles, sweets and mangoes from India – and – she was arguing and was refusing to pay the fine…” I said.

“How stupid – don’t they read the biosecurity rules before coming to New Zealand…?” my daughter said.

“Forget all that…” I said, “where have you booked me – in the same hotel where you work…?”

“No hotel - you are going to stay at home – our home…” my daughter said, firmly.

“But – your mother…?” I said to her, with a bit of apprehension.

(When talking to my daughter – I had always addressed my wife as “your mother” – even when we were married…)

“Mother…? You don’t worry about her…” my daughter said to me, “it is your house – and – I want you to stay with us at home…”

“Okay – shall we go by “Airport Shuttle Bus”…? We can get down at Mount Eden Village Bus Stop – and – walk down to our house in Epsom…” I said to my daughter.

“We are driving down in our car…” she said, with a confident smile.

“Car…? Has your mother come…?” I ask, feeling uneasy.

“No – I am driving…” my daughter said.

“You…? But you are just 17…” I said to her.

“Have you forgotten the rules…? I got my driving license last year. Of course – it is a restricted one – so – I can drive only during the daytime – from 5 AM to 10 PM – next year – I will get my full-fledged driving license…” my daughter said.

And – we – my daughter and I – we walked towards the parking area.

_______ 

__________

PART 2

__________

As we drove from Auckland Airport to my erstwhile home in Epsom – my daughter said: “I am angry with you…”

“Why…?” I asked her, “what have I done…?”

“You have come after 3 years…” my daughter said to me, “I thought you will come more often – at least once in six months…”

“I thought it would be best to stay away…” I said to her, “in fact – even now – I came because I had to come in person…”

“Why did you think it was best to stay away from us…?” my daughter asked me.

“Your mother divorced me…” I said to her.

“She has divorced you – I haven’t divorced you…” my daughter said to me.

I looked at my daughter and thought about what she had said.

She had just uttered a profound truth.

Can children ever divorce their parents…?

Also – a man can divorce his wife – but he can he divorce his children…?

Parents can divorce each other – but can they divorce their children…?

“I know you still love me Monika…” I said to my daughter, “Don’t worry – I haven’t divorced you – I may have divorced your mother – but I will never “divorce” you – I love you very much…”

We drove for some time in silence.

Then I asked my daughter: “Your mother – is she at home…?”

“No. She has gone out for some work…” my daughter said.

“On a Sunday…?” I asked, curious.

“She has become a member of some counselling and therapy group – all crazy feminist “psychos” …” my daughter said.

“Your mother – she is a qualified psychologist…” I said to my daughter.

“Big Deal…!!!” my daughter said sarcastically, “she herself got divorced – and now – she and all her feminist friends probably instigate others to divorce too – you should meet those weirdos in that group…”

On hearing this – my first impulse was to tell my daughter everything – my side of the story – but – I thought it was best to remain silent – so – I didn’t say anything.

“Don’t worry – she will come after lunch…” my daughter said, “I will cook some nice lunch for you…”

“You cook…?” I asked my daughter.

“Oh Yes – I cook quite well – I learnt at the hotel where I work – I make your favorite Biryani today…” she said.

“Oh – Indian Food…!!!” I said, “I thought you would give me a steak or something…”

“Do you want to eat steak…?” she asked me.

“No No…” I said, “I love Biryani…”

In a few minutes – we reached the “bungalow” in Epsom – my erstwhile home.

It was the same as I had left it 3 years ago – green lawns – lovely garden – the same beautiful home I had bought 10 years ago – when we relocated to Epsom from Sandringham.

Though it was expensive – and – a bit beyond my means – I had bought the classy villa because I wanted to please my wife Nisha – who always wanted to live in a posh “upmarket” neighborhood.

But – Nisha – my wife – now my ex-wife – she was never satisfied with whatever I did for her.

I entered the house – I looked around – everything was exactly as I had left it – 3 years ago.

“You have kept the house so well…” I said to my daughter.

“I love this beautiful spacious house…” my daughter said, “and it’s all thanks to you – if you hadn’t given us this house – we would be living in a tiny “shoe-box” apartment on rent…” my daughter said.

“It’s our family home – it will always be our home – whether I live here or not…” I said, filled with nostalgia.

________

To be continued in Part 3

________

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh. 
2. This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

This story is continued from HOMECOMING PART 1 posted in my blog at urlhttp://karvediat.blogspot.com/2021/10/homecoming-part-1.html
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

No comments: