Friday, October 29, 2021

Homecoming – Part 1

HOMECOMING

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

______

Part 1

Auckland Airport – circa 2016

______

 

I was delighted to see my daughter waiting for me at the exit of Auckland International Airport.

“You have grown so tall – and – you look so pretty…” I said to her.

My daughter smiled – she gave me a warm hug – and – she said to me:

“It’s been 3 years – I am so happy to see you, Daddy – I was eagerly waiting to see you – but – you took so much time – your flight landed more than an hour ago…”

“Immigration didn’t take much time – my bag arrived quickly too – but – there was delay at biosecurity – an old lady ahead of me in the queue had brought home-made pickles, sweets and mangoes from India – and – she was arguing and was refusing to pay the fine…” I said.

“How stupid – don’t they read the biosecurity rules before coming to New Zealand…?” my daughter said.

“Forget all that…” I said, “where have you booked me – in the same hotel where you work…?”

“No hotel - you are going to stay at home – our home…” my daughter said, firmly.

“But – your mother…?” I said to her, with a bit of apprehension.

(When talking to my daughter – I had always addressed my wife as “your mother” – even when we were married…)

“Mother…? You don’t worry about her…” my daughter said to me, “it is your house – and – I want you to stay with us at home…”

“Okay – shall we go by “Airport Shuttle Bus”…? We can get down at Mount Eden Village Bus Stop – and – walk down to our house in Epsom…” I said to my daughter.

“We are driving down in our car…” she said, with a confident smile.

“Car…? Has your mother come…?” I ask, feeling uneasy.

“No – I am driving…” my daughter said.

“You…? But you are just 17…” I said to her.

“Have you forgotten the rules…? I got my driving license last year. Of course – it is a restricted one – so – I can drive only during the daytime – from 5 AM to 10 PM – next year – I will get my full-fledged driving license…” my daughter said.

And – we – my daughter and I – we walked towards the parking area.

_______  

To be continued in Part 2

__________ 

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh. 
2. This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

_______

No comments: