Sunday, August 8, 2021

Three Conversations

FICTION SHORT STORY

THREE CONVERSATIONS

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

_________  

Dramatis Personae

Husband

Wife (Nisha)

Wife’s Mother (Nisha’s Mother)

_________

3 CONVERSATIONS

________

PART 1

HUSBAND AND WIFE

_________

“I married you to escape from my mother. And – you have brought her here…?” the woman angrily says to her husband.

“I thought…” the husband mumbles.

But his wife interrupts him and says: “Why did you bring her to our house…?”

“Your mother called me – she said that she was in distress…” the husband says.

“But you could have asked me…” the wife says.

“You don’t like to be disturbed when you are working from home…” the husband says.

“You could have waited till evening and discussed it with me when you came home after work. What was the crashing hurry to bring her over here…?” the wife says.

“I told you. She was in distress. Your mother called me in my office and told me that her landlord had thrown her out on the street. She begged me to come and take her…” the husband says.

“She must not have paid the rent. She keeps blowing up all her money by her reckless spending. It is her fault – there was no need for you to rush and “rescue” her. You should have told her to sort out her own problems…” the wife says.

“How could have I said that…? She is your mother…” the husband says.

“She is a bitch…” the wife says.

“How can you say something like that about your own mother…?” the husband says.

“Because she is what I said she was. I know her better than you. She “killed” my father…” the wife says.

“What…?” the husband says, aghast.

“My father was a kind man. She nagged him throughout – for money, for luxuries – she wanted to live in style – beyond our means – so – she wanted to have money at any cost. Do you know that my father died of shock – he had a heart attack when he discovered that she was having an affair – for money – prostituting herself…?” the wife says.

“Please don’t say such things about your mother…” the husband says.

“She is a disgusting woman. I hate her. I don’t want her in my life. You just throw her out of our house right now. Do you understand…?” the wife says.

“Okay. Okay. I will ask your mother to go away. But I will do it tomorrow morning. It’s late now – and – we can’t throw her out at night. Where will she go…?” the husband says.

“Where she goes – what she will do – that’s not my problem – nor is it yours. You ask her to go – right now…” the woman says to her husband.

“Please. Let her stay for the night – on humanitarian grounds…” the husband pleads.

“Do you know what’s the problem with you…? You try to show off that you are a “Good Samaritan” – and this attitude of yours is painful for me. You did the same thing when I wanted to fire that “nosy parker” maid…” the wife says.

“That maid was with me for so many years – and she was so old – it was cruel of me to have fired her – but I did it – I fired her – just to satisfy you – because you threatened to leave me if I didn’t sack the maid…” the husband says.

“And that is exactly what I will do if you don’t ask my mother to leave our house right now…” the wife threatens.

“Please Nisha – be reasonable – where will she go at night – I will tell her to go in the morning…” the husband says.

“Okay. I don’t want to see her in the house when I wake up in the morning. I am going to the bedroom. I want to be alone. You sleep in the study…” the wife says.

“What about dinner…?” the husband asks.

“I will take something from then fridge and eat my dinner in the bedroom. You eat dinner with your “darling” mother-in-law. I don’t want to see her face…” the wife says.

“Meet your mother at least once…” the husband says.

“I met her when she entered the house with you – in fact – I got a shock of my life when I unexpectedly saw her with you…” the wife says.

“You were so disrespectful to your mother – when she greeted you – and you rudely told her to go inside…” the husband says.

“Disrespectful…? Does she deserve any respect…?” the wife says.

“I knew there were issues between you and your mother. But – I didn’t know things were so bad…” the husband says.

“You needn’t bother about all that. You just see that she leaves this house tomorrow morning. Do you understand…?” the wife says.

“Yes…” the husband says.

“And now – you don’t disturb me – I want to be alone…” the wife says to her husband – and she walks away.

________

 PART 2

 WIFE AND LOVER

________

When she is all alone – in the privacy of her bedroom – the wife calls up her lover.

Her lover lives two floors above her apartment in the same building.

The wife says to her lover: “You don’t come tomorrow…”

“Why…? What happened…?” her lover asks.

“My mother is here…” the wife says.

“What…? Your mother is with you. For how many days…?” her lover asks.

“I don’t know – hopefully – she will go away tomorrow – but – till she is here – you don’t come home – I will tell you when she goes away…” the wife says to her lover.

“Okay…” her lover says, “I won’t come to your house till you tell me…”

“Can we meet outside somewhere…?” the wife asks her lover.

“No. No. It is too risky. Everyone knows us in town…” her lover says.

“I can come up for a “quickie” to your house when your wife goes out – call me and I will come…” the wife says to her lover.

“Are you mad…? My wife hardly goes out – she is working from home too…” her lover says.

“We will have to wait till my mother goes away and the coast is clear…” the wife says to her lover, “It is best to lie low till my mother goes away…”

“Yes – that is the wise thing to do…” her lover says, “Let’s hope she goes away tomorrow. I will miss you terribly...”

“I will miss you too…” the wife says to her lover.

________

PART 3

HUSBAND AND WIFE’S MOTHER

_______

The husband and his wife’s mother sit at the dining table for dinner.

“Thank you for coming…” he says.

“Don’t worry – I will keep an eagle eye on Nisha – and – I’ll stay here for as long as you want – but – tell me – are you sure she is having an affair…?” she says.

“Yes…” he says, “there are so many tell-tale signs – and worse – they are doing it right in the bedroom – in our bed…”

“It will stop – I don’t think he will come when I am at home – and – if she goes out – I will follow her and find out if she is doing any hanky-panky – and with whom…” the woman says.

“Thank you…” the man says.

“I told you not to marry my daughter…” the woman says, “she is half your age – 25 years younger than you…”

“I fell in love with her – madly in love with her…” the man says.

“When you had come home – I thought you wanted to marry me – but you shocked me by telling me that you wanted to marry my daughter…” the woman says.

“I was crazy about her…” the man says, “she mesmerized me with her charms…”

“And now – you are regretting marrying her…?” the woman says, “she got what she wanted – and you…?”

“I don’t know…” the man says – and he looks very distraught.

The woman takes his hand in hers – and she says to him: “Don’t worry – you can always come to me if you want a shoulder to cry on – I will always be there for you…”

_______ 


VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.


Disclaimer:
This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: