Sunday, August 15, 2021

Jingoism and Patriotism

 INDEPENDENCE DAY STORY

__________ 

JINGOISM versus PATRIOTISM

Fiction Short Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

_________ 


A Flag Hoisting Ceremony is held in our residential society on Independence Day.

This story happened a few years ago during the Independence Day Flag Hoisting Ceremony held in our residential society (gated community).

Most residents of our residential society are “Techies” who work in various IT Software Firms in the IT Park at Hinjewadi near Pune.

After Flag Hoisting – there was a program of patriotic songs by children.

I noticed a small boy displaying patriotic fervor with great zest – singing patriotic songs most passionately.

Though it was not a fancy-dress competition – the small boy was wearing a dress resembling military uniform – and he even had a toy gun in his hand – which he was waving fervently.

Later – while we were having tea and snacks – I talked to the small boy’s parents – and mentioned his military uniform and toy gun.

“He loves the Army…” his mother said.

“Yes – my son is very patriotic…” his father said.

“You should put him in a Sainik School…” I said, “I think they admit boys when they are 10 years old – from the 6th standard onwards…”

“Why Sainik School…?” the mother asked me.

“Sainik School will prepare him for the National Defence Academy – NDA – so – he can join as an Army Cadet and later become an Army Officer…” I said.

“Army…? My son is not going to waste his life in the Army – I have got much better plans for him – we are going to put him in an international school…” the father said.

“International School…?” I asked him, a bit curious.

“Yes – I want my son to have the best education – and – after his International Baccalaureate (IB) – we will send him abroad for higher studies…” the father said.

“In any case my son can’t join the Army – he is an American citizen…” the mother said.

“Oh – you are US Citizens…?” I asked her.

“Our son was born in the US when we were working there – so – he is an American citizen…” the father said.

I looked around and saw plenty of jingoism among the young “Techie” couples – and I wondered if they confused jingoism with patriotism.

Now – Sainik Schools have been opened to girls – and – I saw many politicians and “feminists” applaud this decision to admit girls into Sainik Schools.

I wonder how many of these politicians and “feminists” will motivate their daughters or granddaughters to join Sainik Schools…?

_______ 

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

 

No comments: