Thursday, July 22, 2021

Unfinished Story – THE VISITOR

 

THE VISITOR

A Very Short Story

Blog Fiction

By

VIKRAM KARVE

 

A short story is a piece of prose fiction which can be read at a single sitting.

 

In today’s technology-driven hectic times – the “span of attention” of the reader is just a few minutes.

 

So now – a “single sitting” means just a few minutes.

 

Dear Reader – let me try to write a very short story that you can read on your smartphone in a “single sitting” of a few minutes.

 

_________

 

THE VISITOR

 

Last year – as COVID cases started rising in my neighbourhood – I shut down my office – and “escaped” to my farmhouse – just a day before lockdown was imposed.

 

One morning – a man came to see me at my farmhouse.

 

“Sorry for barging in like this without an appointment – I intentionally didn’t call – because – I felt you may refuse to see me…” he said.

 

He introduced himself – he was a business tycoon – he gave me his business card.

 

“How did you manage to come here…?” I asked him, “there is a lockdown…”

 

“I managed an e-pass…” he said.

 

(Well – for the “rich and famous” – normal rules don’t apply – and after reading his business card – it was evident that he was quite an influential man)

 

“I heard that you are “No.1” in your field – I desperately wanted to consult with you – so I have come…” he said.

 

“There was no need to come all the way here – I am doing online consultations…” I said to him.

 

“I know – but this issue is sensitive – so – I wanted to discuss with you in person…” he said, “I will pay you whatever fees you want for your time…”

 

“Let’s go and sit outside on the lawns…” I said, “in these COVID days – it is better to talk in the open air – and we can maintain social distance – remove our masks – and talk freely…”

 

We sat down on the garden chairs on the lawn – with a table in between – quite a distance between us.

 

I removed my mask and said to him: “Okay – tell me about your problem…”

 

I started “audio record” on my smartphone – and kept my smartphone on the table in between us.

 

“Are you recording the conversation…?” he asked me.

 

“Yes…” I said, “it will help me later to analyse and make my notes…”

 

“Please don’t record our conversation…” he said, “I want it to be totally private…”

 

“Okay…” I said – and – I picked up the smartphone – I switched it off – and I kept it in my pocket.

 

“I have switched off my smartphone…” I said to him, “now you can speak freely…”

 

“My wife wants a divorce…” he said – coming to the point immediately.

 

“On what grounds…?” I asked him.

 

“She says that I am impotent…” he said.

 

“Are you…?” I ask him, “You’ve never had sex…?”

 

“Of course – I have had sex – in fact – I have had regular sex with my wife for the last 3 years since we got married…” he said.

 

“Then clearly – you are not impotent…” I said, “if you want – I will talk to your wife…”

 

“No. No. It’s not that – she says that I am the reason that we can’t have children…” the man said.

 

“Oh – so your wife is saying that you are sterile…” I said, “doesn’t she know the difference between impotence and infertility…?”

 

“I don’t know…” he said, “she wants me to get myself tested…”

 

“It is very simple…” I said, “you can get a sperm count test done – a semen analysis…”

 

“No – I don’t want to do it…” he said.

 

“You don’t want to get yourself tested…? Why…?” I asked him, curious.

 

“I am scared that the tests may come true…?” he said.

 

“Tests may come true…? Do you fear that you are infertile…?” I said to him.

 

“Yes…” he said

 

“You must get rid of your fears – get the fertility tests done…” I said to him.

 

“No…” he said, “suppose the tests say that I am infertile – that I am sterile and can’t produce a child – it will be a humiliating “loss of face” for me…”

 

“Loss of face…?” I said, taken aback.

 

“Yes. We come from a business community – mine is a business marriage – I must be able to produce an heir…”

 

“Wait…” I interrupted him, “what makes you think that it is you who are infertile – what about your wife – has she done fertility tests…?”

 

“She says that we should do the tests together…” he said.

 

“And – you don’t want to do the tests together because you feel nervous that the tests would show that it is you who is sterile…” I said to him.

 

“Yes…” he said.

 

“Why are you so worried…? It is not your fault if your sperm count is low. There is no stigma attached to infertility nowadays…” I said.

 

________

To be continued…

________

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.


Disclaimer:
This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

1 comment:

How do we know said...

OK now that is two stories to wait for!