Monday, May 24, 2021

The Politician and the Soldier – Story

Short Fiction

THE POLITICIAN AND THE SOLDIER

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

______

 

PROLOGUE

______

 

Dear Reader – before I start telling you the story of “The Politician and The Soldier” – let me first introduce myself – the narrator of this story.

Yes – I am the narrator of this rather curious story.

I am the politician’s “manager” – his “right-hand man” – his “major-domo” – his “all in one” assistant – or – if you wish to use more uncharitable terms – I am his flunkey – his lackey – his stooge – his minion – you can call me what you like – but I have become indispensable to him.

My “Master” – the politician – he is the “uncrowned king” of the place – wealthy – powerful – he controls everything – and – nothing moves here without his approval.

Everyone is terrified of him – including me.

_______ 

 

PART 1

_______

 

One evening the phone rings – the landline number.

I recognize the voice – it is the “Soldier”.

“Is he there…?” the soldiers asks me on the phone.

“Yes…” I say – and I connect the call.

The “soldier” speaks to the “politician” for around 5 minutes.

Then the “politician” summons me inside his office and says to me: “Is there anything in the evening…?”

“Yes…” I say, “you have to attend the party meeting followed by dinner…”

“Tell them I am not coming…” he says.

“Sir – it is a very important meeting – top party leaders are coming – the general-secretary will also be there – you must go there…” I say.

“Nothing is more important than my friend – I have already told him to come for dinner – you call up my wife and tell her to make something special – get whatever she wants from the market – and organize some good snacks to go with the booze…” he says.

“Sir – should I arrange some “Single Malt” Whisky…” I ask him.

“You have been with me for 3 years now – don’t you know – my friend will be getting a bottle of “Military Rum” for me…” the “politician” admonishes me.

_________

 

PART 2

_________

 

The “Soldier” arrives at 7 PM in the evening.

The “Politician” is genuinely delighted to see him.

“What have you got for me…?” the “politician” asks the “soldier”.

The “soldier” pulls out a bottle of rum from his bag.

“Ah…” the “politician” says, “let’s go inside and open the bottle…”

The “soldier” goes inside.

I look at the “politician” and say: “Sir – I have got all types of snacks – chicken dry fry, mutton kababs, fish fry, peanuts, pakoras etc. – and – I have briefed the servants how to serve them…”

“Good…” the “politician” says to me, “did you tell my wife…?”

“Yes, Sir – she is preparing a special meal…”

“Wonderful…” the “politician” says.

“Sir – I have informed them that you won’t be attending the meeting as you are indisposed…”

“Ha – Ha – “indisposed” – you have become an expert at inventing excuses…” the “politician” says, “you can go home now – if I want something – I will call you…”

“Thank you, Sir…” I say – and – I turn towards the office to lock it up.

The “politician” goes inside his house to join his friend – the “soldier”.

______

 

PART 3

______

 

NEXT MORNING

______

 

“How was the evening, Sir…?” I ask the politician.

“We really enjoyed ourselves till the wee hours of the morning…” he says.

“Sir – I have been wanting to ask you something for a long time – but I don’t have the courage to ask…?” I say.

“Come on – you have been with me for over 3 years now – you can ask anything you want…” he says.

“Sir – it is about your soldier friend – you always give him an immediate appointment – and you cancel everything – however important – just to spend time with him…” I say.

“He is my best friend…” the politician says.

“But, Sir – he is just a soldier – and – you are such an eminent person – so wealthy – so powerful – and – you only move in “high-society” – and – you eat and drink the best – but – when your soldier friend comes – you drink cheap military rum with him…” I say, “and yesterday – you cancelled a most important appointment – a crucial political meeting…”

“I told you once – my soldier friend is the most important thing to me – so – when he comes – other things just don’t matter…” the politician says.

The politician pauses – looks at me – and says:

“Okay – I know you are curious – today – I will tell you about our friendship. We – the soldier and I – we were classmates in school – best friends. After finishing school – both of us wanted to join the Army – so – when there was a recruitment rally – both us went there – we both wanted to join the Army…”

“Oh – so you too were in the Army – Sir…?” I say.

“No. He was selected – but – I was rejected…” the politician says.

“You were rejected – why…?” I asked him.

“Till today – I really don’t know why the rejected me…” the politician says, “they made us do all the tests – and – they selected him and rejected me…”

“You must have been disappointed…” I say.

“Yes – I was terribly disappointed – but – my friend was even more disappointed than me – and he said that he would not join the Army since I was not coming – you see – we had been inseparable friends since childhood…” the politician says, “but I convinced him to go and join the Army…”

“And you…? Sir…?” I ask him.

“Well – I did odd jobs – here and there – for a few years – and then – a political party asked me to do campaign work during elections – later – I joined that political party – and – the rest is history – as they say…” the politician says, “but throughout my bad days my friend would write to me and boost my morale…”

“And your friendship remains as strong as ever…” I say.

“Yes – whatever happens – we will always remain friends…” he says.

“Sir – if you don’t mind – I wanted to ask you if your soldier friend mentioned that he was in a bit of trouble – and – did he ask your help…?” I say.

“No – he didn’t say anything – what is the matter…?” the politician says, looking surprised.

“His family had taken a loan from the cooperative bank for their farm – they couldn’t pay back the loan – so – the bank had declared them as defaulters…” I say.

“Defaulter…? How do you know all this…?” he asks me.

“Sir – he is your close friend – and it is my job to keep track of such matters – I knew he would meet you when he came on leave – and probably ask your help…” I ask.

“You have not understood him – he will never ask for help – it is a question of dignity – he is a man of honor – a soldier – and – you have not understood our friendship – obligations can destroy the best of friendships…” he says.

“So – you are not going to help him…?” I ask the politician.

“Of course – I am going to help him – but he should not know that I have helped him – do you understand…?” the politician says, “you do one thing – pay off the entire outstanding loan and interest amount – and tell the bank manager to tell my soldier friend that his loan has been waived under some government scheme. No one should know that I have paid the money – do you understand…?

“Yes – Sir – it shall be done in a most discreet manner…” I say to the politician.

“That’s good…” the politician says, “you have done the right thing to inform me – keep a track of his family – in case they have any problems – especially when the soldier is away – in case they need something – but – remember – whenever you help them – do it quietly and anonymously…”

“Yes, Sir – may I go now…?” I say to the politician.

“Okay – keep be briefed…” he says.

_________

 On my way out – I smile to myself – even ruthless people have a compassionate side.

 _________ 


VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:

1. This story is a work of fiction. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:

No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

_____________


No comments: