Wednesday, July 13, 2022

My Muse Manisha – an unfinished story

_____ 

Short Fiction

_____

MY MUSE

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

_____

There is a saying:

“The best kind of friendship is one where two people love the same books

We – Manisha and Me – we loved the same books – so – we became the best of friends.

_____

Let me tell you how we met.

After I retired from the Navy and settled down in Pune – I joined a library.

After retirement – most of my Veterans Friends took up golf – or other pastimes – so they joined various clubs and groups – but – I loved books – and I intended to spend my time reading (and writing) – so – I took membership of the best library in Pune.

I met Manisha on my very first day in the library – a Sunday.

While browsing books in the literature section of the library – I heard a feminine voice call out to me softly.

I looked up from the book in my hands.

It was a pretty girl – maybe around 20.

“Are you Mr. Vikram…?” the girl asked me.

“Yes…” I said to her.

“My name is Manisha – I like your stories…” she said.

“Thank you. Manisha…” I said to her, “do you follow my blog…?”

“Of course, I follow your blog – I have even subscribed to it – in fact – I recognized you from your blog profile picture…” she said to me.

I felt good – it feels good to be recognized – especially after retirement – when you are a non-entity.

“Do you like my stories…?” I asked her – wanting to hear some praise to boost my ego.

“Of course – I like your stories – you write so well…” she said to me.

I felt good – so – I smiled at Manisha.

“Thank you…” I said to her.

“I like your first story the best – “Rendezvous at Sunrise” – and – I like your romantic stories – but – your latest story – I didn’t like it very much – I think you are trying to experiment – but I feel you should stick to your original natural style of writing…” she said, candidly.

For a moment – I was taken aback.

Seeing the expression on my face – she seemed contrite.

“Oh – I am sorry…” she began to apologize – when I interrupted her.

“No. No – don’t feel sorry – in fact – I appreciate you for your honest feedback – but you must tell me exactly where I am going wrong – so that I can improve my writing…” I said to her.

I could see a bit of hesitancy on her face – so – I decided to ease her reluctance.

“I really want your feedback – please tell me exactly what you didn’t like about my writing style in my latest story – I will appreciate it very much…” I said to her.

“Okay – let’s go to the internet terminal – I will show you…” she said.

We walked across to the internet room in the library – we sat in front of the monitor – I opened my blog – and – she discussed my latest story in a most free and frank manner.

“Look at the ending of this story – it is so abrupt – it leaves the reader unsatisfied and confused…” she said.

I wanted to tell her about Hemingway – his Iceberg Theory – but it she seemed to read my mind.

She looked at me and spoke.

“Don’t try to imitate famous authors – just write in your own unique style – like most of your earlier stories – let me show you…” she said – and – she scrolled down my blog and opened my first story – “Rendezvous with Sunrise” – and – she compared it with my latest story – then she showed me some my earlier stories – and I clearly understood her point of view.

I was amazed that she had read my stories so carefully and this filled me with a sense of happiness and pride.

“Thank you so much…” I said to Manisha, “you are the first person who has given me such a thorough critique of my writing – I will certainly consider all the points you have told me when I write – but you must keep giving me feedback…”

“Of course…” she said to me, “you write a story during the week and post it by Saturday – I will read it immediately – and we will discuss your story on Sunday – when we meet here at the library…”

I loved her enthusiasm and zest – she was a really passionate reader – and most importantly – she liked my writing.

I smiled at her.

“Yes – that’s a great idea – I will look forward to discussing my stories with you every Sunday…” I said to her.

I marvelled at her acumen and faculty – she looked so young – but she had profound insight into the finer aspects of creative writing and literature.

Her voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Shall we go back and see some short story books…?” she said to me.

We went back to the literary section of the library.

We browsed a few short fiction anthologies together – we showed each other our favorite stories – and – we realized that our literary tastes were similar.

As I had said earlier:

“The best kind of friendship is one where two people love the same books”.

Well – our literary tastes matched – metaphorically – “we loved the same “books” – and – I could sense that it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship between Manisha and Me.

______

Time passed fast.

After browsing in the literary section – we went to the magazine section – and I showed her some literary journals which featured contemporary creative writing and short fiction.

After some time – Manisha looked at me.

“I am feeling hungry – let’s go across to Vaishali for a snack…” Manisha said to me.

“Okay…” I said – I was feeling hungry too.

We crossed the road – luckily a table was vacant in the normally crowded restaurant.

Manisha ordered a Masala Dosa – I ordered an Onion Uttapam – and we talked.

“You really know a lot about literature…” I said to Manisha.

“I am a student of literature…” she said.

“You are so lucky…” I said to her.

“Why…?” she asked me.

“I wish I could have studied literature instead of science and engineering…” I said, “but in our time – we weren’t given a choice…”

“But you write so well – and you know so much about literature…” she said.

“I always loved reading – so though I did different work – reading and writing were always my interests – my hobbies…” I said to her.

“The best writers are engineers, doctors – most haven’t formally studied literature…” she said.

And – we talked and talked – then went back to the library – and browsed and selected books – till closing time – 6 PM

“Do you come to the library often…?” I asked Manisha.

“On my college days – I come whenever I get time – but – I come to the library every Sunday…” she said.

“I will also come every Sunday…” I said, “I live quite far away – so – I will write throughout the week – and – I will come to the library every Sunday…”

“That’s great – let’s meet over here next Sunday – I’ll be here at 11 AM – when the library opens…” she said – and then – she smiled a sweet goodbye – and – she walked away.

______

Next Sunday – I was sitting on the bench outside the library at 10:45 AM – waiting for the library to open – and – of course – eagerly waiting for Manisha to arrive.

I wanted to know her views on the story I had written that week and posted on my blog on Saturday.

______

Story to be continued…

______

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a spoof, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
3. E&OE

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: