Thursday, May 21, 2020

The “Butterfly”


THE “BUTTERFLY”
Fiction Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE

“Do I need to flirt with every man I meet in the hope that he would marry me…?” she said, “That’s what my mother wants me to do – she literally pushes me towards every officer she thinks is an “eligible bachelor” – hoping that he would marry me….”

I remained silent – to let her vent out her emotions.  

She looked at me and said: “My mother – she pushed me into the arms of your course-mate – hoping he would marry me – but – your course-mate did exactly the opposite – he fucked me – and then – he dumped me….”  

“Please don’t use such vulgar language…” I said.

“Vulgar…?” she said, “You are a real prude – aren’t you…?”

“It doesn’t look good – a nice girl like you using such “four letter words”…” I said.

“Ha – Ha – “four letter word” – you want me to use the word “lovemaking” – do you…?” she said, “Well – there was certainly no “love” involved – it was an act of “lust” – he got me drunk – he took me to his cabin – and he fucked me…”

“He got you drunk…? Did he…?”

“No. No…” she interrupted, “I got drunk willingly – to loosen my inhibitions. It was my first time – and I was a bit nervous…”

“Oh…” I said.

“I had flirted with many officers before – but I knew where to draw the line. But all those flirtations turned out to be transitory – fleeting romances – but with your course-mate – it was different – he wooed me quite intensely – I felt that he was genuinely interested in me – I thought that if I let him fuck me – he would marry me – but – exactly the opposite happened – the moment I let him fuck me – he dumped me – I think that was all he wanted – to fuck me…” she said.

“That’s bad…” I said.

“He probably thought I was a woman of “loose morals” – not “wife material”. I was good enough to have a “good time” with – but not good enough to marry…” she said, “So – he went home – and he got married to the “back home type” girl selected by his parents. And – I have lost my virginity – so now – no one will marry me…”  

“Don’t say that…” I said, “Times have changed. People are more broad-minded nowadays…”

She looked at me and smiled.

“Will you marry me…? I am telling you that your course-mate fucked me and I am not a virgin. Come on – you marry me…” she said to me.

I remained silent – not knowing what to say.

“You see – it is easy to talk modern things – but doing it in actual life is difficult – most of you officers I have met – you show off that you are very modern and liberal – but actually – you all are narrow-minded MCP’s – like your course-mate – who fucked me and dumped me…” she said.

“Why are you saying all this to me…? Did I ever do anything wrong to you…?” I said to her.

“No. No. You are the best officer in your course. I still remember what you told me when I tried to flirt with you…” she said.

“What did I tell you…?”

“You told me what your grandfather had said to you – “If you don’t want to go to a certain town – then don’t take the first step on the road to that town…” – she said, “You made it quite clear that since you didn’t intend to marry me – you were not interested in flirting with me…”

“You follow the same principle too – albeit in the opposite manner – you flirt with a boy in the hope that he will marry you – like your mother advised you…” I said.

“Yes – but it boomeranged with your course-mate…” she said, “I flirted with him – I even let him fuck me – in the hope that he would marry me – and instead – he dumped me – and I lost my virginity in the bargain too…”

“But you have decided to “Bash on Regardless”…” I said, “You are going to keep “flirting” till you find a husband…” 

“Yes. I am meeting someone tonight…” she said.

“Here – in the Club…?” I asked her.

“Yes…” she looked at her watch and said, “It’s almost 8 o’clock – he should be coming now…”

“Oh. Then I should go – I don’t want to be a “Kebab Mein Haddi”…” I said.

I got up to leave – and I said to her: “All the Best…”

“I enjoyed talking to you…” she said, “Just talking for the sake of talking – no intention – no ulterior motive – no expectations – just simple conversation…”

“Me too…” I said – and I walked across the club lawns towards the bar.

Dear Reader – did I tell you the name of the girl I was talking to…?

Well – her name was “Nisha” – yes – Nisha.

THREE YEARS LATER

“Why don’t you sit in the wardroom and have a drink…” the OOD said, “I’ll finish off my rounds and join you…”

[The Wardroom is a Naval Officers’ Mess on a Warship or Stone Frigate (Naval Shore Establishment). OOD is the acronym of “Officer of the Day” – the “de facto” and “de jure” Commanding Officer of the warship in off-hours in harbour]

I walked down to the Ship’s Wardroom.

I was surprised to see Nisha sitting inside – she was all alone – except for the steward standing behind the bar.

I smiled at her – she smiled back.

I sat down in front of her.

“So nice to see you here…” I said to Nisha.

“Yes – it’s been 3 years since we last met – isn’t it…?” she said.

“Yes…” I said, “In the club…”

“I didn’t know you were on this ship…” she said, “in fact – I didn’t see you on other ships too – or – in the club – or in the mess…”

“No. No…” I said, “I am not on this ship – in fact – I am not even posted in Mumbai – I am in Delhi – I have come on Temporary Duty here – the OOD is my Boss’s brother-in-law – I have come to collect some duty free canteen stuff for him…”

The steward asked me what I would like to drink.

“Get me a “Chivas Regal” – Large…” I said – and – I looked at the glass on the table in front of Nisha. She seemed to be drinking whisky too – so – I asked her, “same for you…?”

“Okay…” Nisha said – looking at her glass, “But I am having “Black Dog” with Soda…”

I looked at Nisha and asked her: “So – where is your “host”…?”

“He has gone to his cabin – to “tidy up”…” Nisha said.

“So – are you still flirting with every man you meet in the hope that he would marry you…?” I said – tongue-in-cheek.

“No…” Nisha said, with a naughty smile, “Now – I flirt just to have a “good time”….”

Suddenly – the OOD popped into the Wardroom – he smiled at Nisha – then he looked at me – and – he said to me: “Ah – I can see that you are comfortable. I’ll just go to the gangway and call up the Captain – I’ll make the “rounds report” to the Captain – and I’ll join you here for a drink…”

(This story happened 45 years ago – in the 1970’s – and those days – when a ship came to harbour and berthed alongside a jetty – a landline telephone was rigged up at the Quartermaster’s Post near the Ship’s Gangway)

The OOD left – and – an Officer entered the Wardroom.

I knew the officer – not intimately – but – I knew him just by face.

The Officer had a “spoken reputation” of being an ardent womanizer – a “Casanova”.

I wished him – he wished me back.

Then – the Officer looked at Nisha and said to her: “Let’s go up to my cabin…”

Nisha finished her drink – she smiled at me – and – she left with the Officer – to his cabin – to have a “good time”.

After Nisha and the Officer had left – I pondered over Nisha’s words:

“Now – I flirt just to have a “good time”….”

Earlier – she was flirting with the intention of “hooking” a husband – and now – she had become a “hooker” – a “fleet auxiliary”.

________________

Dear Reader:

If you wish to know more about the sobriquet “fleet auxiliary” – please read this story (click the link below):


VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

No comments: