Monday, May 9, 2011

A QUICK BITE

A QUICK BITE  
By 
VIKRAM KARVE
 
Here is some flash fiction… for a quick read…  
 
I am having a quick bite at Quick Bite…! 
 
Hey, I’m not trying to be funny.

“Quick Bite” is the fast food joint opposite our office complex where we often rush out to have a ‘Quick Bite’. 
 
I sit at a table for two, concluding my quick bite with a cup of coffee, when I see the office macho-man Raj enter Quick Bite for a quick bite.  

His eyes search for a vacant table but the place is jam-packed.
 
He looks in my direction and I beckon him to sit on the vacant chair opposite me.   

As Raj settles down I ask him, “All alone…? Where is your girlfriend…?”
 
“Girlfriend…?” he asks.
 
“Rita…” I say. 

“She’s no longer my girlfriend…” he says.
 
"Really?" I interrupt, “That's great. It is good you dumped that shameless nympho.”

“Shameless nympho?” he asks.  

“Musical Beds…Ha, Ha…Musical Beds… ” I say laughing.  

“Musical Beds?” he asks.  

“Ha, Ha … That’s what we called her in college … that nympho Rita … Musical Beds … just like we play Musical Chairs … Rita plays Musical Beds … but let me tell you Raj … you’ve done the wisest thing by dumping Rita,” I say hurriedly gulping down the remains of my coffee.
 
Raj looks at me with a perplexed expression on his face, but I am in a hurry, and got a lot of work to do, so I quickly get up, pat his shoulder, and rush back to my office. 
 
Suddenly I see Rita talking to my colleague Chanchal near the entrance.

Chanchal waves out and calls me so I go towards them.

“Hey, you know what?” my chatterbox colleague Chanchal says excitedly the moment I come near them.  

“What?” I ask.

“Rita and Raj got married yesterday. It was a very sudden secret hush-hush affair – parents’ opposition, you know. That's why they didn't tell anybody, ” Chanchal says.

“Really?” I ask surprised.

“Yes,” Rita looks at me and says, “I am no longer your friend Raj’s girlfriend. Now, I am his wife.” 
 
With these words, Rita turns around with a flourish and walks towards Quick Bite for a quick bite with Raj.
 
 
A QUICK BITE  
Flash Fiction 
By 
VIKRAM KARVE 

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.


No comments: