Wednesday, January 25, 2012

HOW TO QUIT SMOKING FOREVER - a Three Stage Technique


DO YOU WANT TO QUIT SMOKING

On a request by some of my friends, I am re-posting this memoir which so many smokers found useful. 
It may be worthwhile to browse through it once again if you want to stop smoking permanently. And even if you don't smoke, maybe you tell someone who smokes and wants to quit about my blog post. 

Do you smoke? 
Do you want to quit smoking? 
I was a smoker once and it has been more than ten years since I quit smoking. 
Here's how I did it. It was a three stage process. 
First I learned the art of smoking. 
Then I actually quit smoking. 
Finally I made sure that I did not start smoking again.
Read about it below and try it yourself. 
This technique works - you can take my word for it. 
Ever since I quit smoking ten years ago I have never even had the slightest desire to smoke a cigarette.


HOW TO QUIT SMOKING MADE SIMPLE 
(In Three Parts)By
VIKRAM KARVE

Part 1 - Learn The Art of Smoking
Part 2 - Stop Smoking (How to avoid withdrawal symptoms and tackle the day after you quit smoking)
Part 3 - How to ensure you do not start smoking again.


Part 1 - LEARN THE ART OF SMOKING

Do you want to quit smoking forever?  

Then first you will have to master The Art of Smoking.

The first step towards quitting smoking is to learn how to enjoy smoking.

And in order to learn how to derive supreme enjoyment from smoking one must first learn the art of smoking.

Seems absurd – a paradox – isn’t it?

I stopped smoking more than seven years ago and I know I shall never smoke again.

Let me tell you how I quit smoking.

If you are a smoker, maybe you can benefit from my experience, or maybe you can pass this on to a smoker friend who wants to quit.

I got my clue from an apocryphal teaching story I read somewhere. I reflected upon it, carrying it my mind for a long time, until I fathomed the story’s inner depth and meaning.

A seeker asks the master, “Can I smoke while meditating?”

“No!” scolds the master angrily.

Another seeker then asks, “Can I meditate while smoking?”

“Yes!” says the master knowingly realizing that this seeker is on the path to enlightenment.

This is the key, the first step – if you really want to stop smoking.

First learn to meditate while smoking.

Here’s how I did it.

One evening, I take one cigarette, just one, and walk down to Marine Drive and sit down on the parapet, at the southern tip near Nariman Point, in the cool sea breeze watching the sun being swallowed up by the Arabian Sea, crimson-yellow petals being thrown high up in the distant sky gradually devoured by the enveloping twilight.

Soon it is dark, quiet and tranquil, and I feel calm and relaxed.

I take out the cigarette from my pocket and hold it in front of me, look at it lovingly and close my eyes.

Yes, you must close your eyes – it accentuates your other senses, makes you more conscious of what’s going on inside you.

I hold the cigarette near my nose and breathe in the rich aroma of the tobacco, gently moving the cigarette as I take deep breaths, savoring the sweet fragrance of the tobacco tinged with the fresh scent of the paper and filter, until my olfactory system is truly and fully satiated.

I then put the filter between my lips, taste it and suck in air deeply through the unlighted cigarette.

It feels good.

I then open my eyes, light the cigarette, close my eyes, get ready and take a deep drag, focusing on my breath as I inhale, allowing the smoke to permeate deep within me, infusing a sensation I cannot describe, and watching carefully with my inner eye as I exhale – slow, long and relaxing.

Is my system being energized or depleted – I do not know – but I continue my unhurried meditative smoking, eyes gently closed, my inner senses fully conscious, aware, observing attentively, till the cigarette is over.

I open my eyes, come out of my trance and instinctively I gulp in a huge amount of the fresh sea breeze and rinse my lungs and system.

As I walk back I decide that this is how I shall smoke each and every cigarette from now on – meditative mindful smoking – the only way I shall smoke.

Most “smokers” haven’t learnt how to enjoy a smoke.

We keep puffing away every waking moment of their lives without even noticing it.

You grab a quick smoke in a hurry, you smoke when you are bored, you smoke while talking, while working, while doing something - smoking and multitasking - that is the problem - smoking and multitasking.

You smoke unconsciously, cigarette after cigarette, without even realizing it. 

Is it worth it ... ?

Why smoke if you don’t enjoy it ... ?

I decide.

Whenever I feel like smoking I shall stop everything and prepare myself for a meditative smoke.

I will go to some quiet place where I can sit undisturbed, alone.

Yes I must be alone.

Meditative smoking is a solitary activity.

When I smoke, I shall only smoke – no multitasking.

No more smoking with friends, with tea or coffee, no more smoking in the office feeling a guilt conscience that non-smokers don’t like it or at home with my wife nagging me, no more hurried puffs, no more mindless unconscious smoking – only meditative, mindful, conscious smoking in glorious solitude, maintaining inner calm and tranquility, and total awareness.

I follow this religiously, and soon I discover that the number of cigarettes required to satisfy me have drastically reduced and soon I am smoking only one cigarette a day – every evening, at sunset, just as I described it.

For me smoking is a special occasion requiring solitude and a congenial ambience, and if I cannot create the right atmosphere, both internally and externally, I shall not smoke.

When you have mastered something it’s time to let go and move on.

One day I feel I have mastered the art of smoking, derived all the enjoyment I wanted to from this activity, and reached a state of contentment and satiety.

It’s time to let go.

At sunset I go to my favourite place on Marine Drive, enjoy my final meditative smoke and toss the cigarette butt into the sea.

It’s been more than seven years now and I haven’t had a smoke since nor have I ever felt the urge or craving to smoke.

I know I will never smoke again.

I have quit smoking forever.

Quitting smoking is easy. 

You must ensure you don’t start smoking again. 

You have to break the habit forever. 

For this it’s best to use an NLP technique like Anchoring combined with Force Field Analysis which I have described in Part 2 below. 

And don’t worry about withdrawal symptoms – it’s a myth. There are no such things as withdrawal symptoms when you stop smoking.

I am writing all about it in Part 2 below: THE DAY AFTER I QUIT SMOKING.


Part 2 - THE DAY AFTER I QUIT SMOKING

Here is the story of the day after I quit smoking.

One of the things that deters smokers from quitting decisively in one go is the fear of withdrawal symptoms.

This results in smokers resorting to half-baked remedies like gradual reduction, nicotine patches, low tar cigarettes and various other futile therapies. In my opinion this exaggerated importance given to withdrawal symptoms is just a big myth, a ploy, an excuse by addicts to avoid giving up smoking.

The so-called withdrawal symptoms are nothing but craving.

The best and most effective way of quitting smoking is to just stop smoking, totally, in one go, and then never to smoke again.

Don’t be afraid of the so-called “withdrawal symptoms” – you can easily tackle the craving. You can take my word for it – I successfully did it and conquered the craving for smoking once and for all.I have written earlier and described how I quit smoking. I’m sure you must have read it right here in my blog. 

Now let me describe to you the day after I quit smoking. [and banish the fear of "withdrawal symptoms" from your minds once and for all!].I woke up early, at five-thirty as usual, made a cup of tea, and the moment I took a sip of the piping hot delicious tea, I felt the familiar crave for my first cigarette of the day.

I kept down the cup of tea, made a note of the craving in my diary, had a glass of hot water (quickly heated in the microwave oven), completed my ablutions, and stepped out of my house, crossed the Maharshi Karve Road, and began a brisk walk-cum-jog around the verdant tranquil Oval Maidan, deeply rinsing my lungs with the pure refreshing morning air, which made me feel on top of the world.

The Clock on Mumbai University’s Rajabai Tower silhouetted against the calm bluish gray sky, was striking six, and I felt invigorated by the fresh cool air cleansing my lungs. I had overcome my craving and not smoked what used to be my first cigarette of the day.

I then went on my daily morning walk on Marine Drive to Chowpatty and on my way back I spotted my friends ‘N’ and ‘S’ across the road beckoning me for our customary post-exercise tea and cigarette at the stall opposite Mantralaya. I felt tempted, but my resolve firm, I waved out to them, looked away and ran towards my house.

They must have thought I’d gone crazy, but it didn’t matter – I had avoided what used to be my second cigarette of the day.

I made a note of it my diary, as I would do the entire day of all the stimuli that triggered in me the urge to smoke – what I would call my “smoking anchors” which could be anything, internal and external, tangible or intangible – people, situations, events, feelings, smells, emotions, tendencies, moods, foods, social or organizational trends, practices, norms, peer pressure; and most importantly how I tackled and triumphed over these stimuli.

After breakfast, I did not drink my usual cup of coffee – a strong “smoking anchor” which triggered in me a desperate desire to smoke, and drank a glass of bland milk instead, thereby averting what used to be my third cigarette of the day.

It was nine, as I walked to work, and I hadn’t smoked a single cigarette.

It was a long day ahead and I had to be cognizant, observe myself inwardly and devise strategies to tackle situations that elicited craving for smoking – recognize and neutralize my “smoking anchors”, so to speak. 

Anchoring is a naturally occurring phenomenon, a natural process that usually occurs without our awareness.

An anchor is any representation in the human nervous system that triggers any other representation. Anchors can operate in any representational system (sight, sound, feeling, sensation, smell, taste).

You create an anchor when you unconsciously set up a stimulus response pattern. 

Response (smoking) becomes associated with (anchored to) some stimulus; in such a way that perception of the stimulus (the anchor) leads by reflex to the anchored response (smoking) occurring.

Repeated stimulus–response action, reinforces anchors and this is a vicious circle, especially in the context of “smoking anchors”. 

The trick is to identify your “smoking anchors”, become conscious of these anchors and ensure you do not activate them.

The moment I reached office I saw my colleague ‘B’ eagerly waiting for me, as he did every day. Actually he was eagerly waiting to bum a cigarette from me for his first smoke of the day (“I smoke only other’s cigarettes” was his motto!).

I politely told him I had quit smoking and told him to look elsewhere. He looked at me in disbelief; taunted, jeered and badgered me a bit, but when I stood firm, he disappeared.

I had avoided what would have been my fourth cigarette of the day!

I removed my ashtray from my office, declared the entire place a "no-smoking zone" and put up signs to that effect. The working day began. It was a tough and stressful working day.

I was tired, when my boss called me across and offered me a cigarette. I looked at the cigarette pack yearningly, tempted, overcome by a strong craving, desperate to have just that “one” cigarette.

Nothing like a “refreshing” smoke to drive my blues away and revitalize me – the “panacea” to my “stressed-out” state! It was now or never!

I politely excused myself on the pretext of going to the toilet, but rushed out into the open and took a brisk walk rinsing my lungs with fresh air, and by the time I returned I had lost the craving to smoke and realized, like in the Oval early in the morning, that physical exercise is probably the best antidote.

Also, I had avoided what would have been my fifth cigarette of the day.

Now I am going to stop counting...!

People may think I’m crazy, but even now I rush out of my office once in a while to take a brisk walk in the open and not only do I lose the craving for a smoke but I feel distressed and invigorated as well.

Conversely, once I rushed into a “no-smoking” cinema when I desperately felt like a smoke while strolling in the evening.

Often, after dinner, when I used to feel like a smoke, I rushed into the Oxford Bookstore next door, for a long leisurely browse till my craving dissipated.

And, of course, one has to change his lifestyle, activities, and, maybe, even friends.

Always try to be with likeminded people who you would like to emulate – if you want to quit smoking try to be in the company of non-smokers.

It was simple after that, but my diary for that defining day makes interesting reading of smoking anchors – saunf or supari after lunch, afternoon tea, the company of smokers, paan… But the crucial test came in the evening.

My dear friend ‘A’ landed up for a drink. Now ‘A’ is a guy who does not smoke in front of his kids and wife. 

I am sure she knows as a husband cannot keep secrets from his wife - especially "minor" vices...

So since he doesn’t smoke in his own home he makes up in other people’s houses. But mind you, he doesn’t bum cigarettes – in fact he gets a pack and generously leaves the remaining behind for the host.

We poured out a rum–paani each, clinked our glasses, said cheers, and sipped. 

My friend ‘A’ lit a cigarette and offered the pack to me.

At the end of a hot, humid and tiring day, the fortifying beverage induced a heavenly ambrosial sensation which permeated throughout the body and what better way to synergise the enjoyment than to smoke a cigarette along with the drink and enhance the pleasure to sheer bliss.

Till that moment, for me, drinking and smoking were inextricably intertwined – they complemented, accentuated each other and accorded me the ultimate supreme pleasure. I enjoyed my smoke the most along with a drink. I realized that drinking was my strongest “smoking anchor” and if I had to quit smoking permanently I would have to give up drinking forever. So that’s what I did.

At this defining moment of my life, I quit drinking forever. 

It’s been more than seven years now and I do not smoke and I do not drink.

I will never smoke again – I have quit smoking forever.

I may be tempted, but I know I can overcome the urge, for I have mastered the art of taking charge of my “smoking anchors”.

And from time to time, I shall look at my old diary to remember and cherish that cardinal day of my life – ‘the day after I quit smoking’.

Dear Reader, I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. I am sure you won't too. 

So just Quit Smoking today and make it a day to remember.

But what will you do if you get the urge to smoke again? How will you avoid the desire, the craving, to have a smoke? Simple. Use FORCE FIELD ANALYSIS. Read Part 3 and make sure you give up smoking forever and never start smoking again. 


Part 3 - HOW TO NEVER START SMOKING AGAIN

Force Field Analysis provides a framework for looking at the factors or forces that influence a situation or activity.

Restraining Forces are those which inhibit or discourage the occurrence of a particular activity and Driving Forces are those which promote, facilitate and encourage the occurrence of the same activity.

Let’s say Driving Forces are positive anchors and Restraining Forces are negative anchors (similar to the anchors in NLP which we saw in Part 2 above).

Let’s take the case of smoking. 

Sit down, close your eyes, and introspect.

Can you identify the stimuli, the triggers, and the situations, the driving forces, which create in you the desire and give rise to the urge to smoke?

These driving forces that create in you a desire to smoke can be anything, internal or external, tangible or intangible – people, situations, events, parties, tendencies, moods, alcohol, foods, social or organizational trends, practices, norms.

Now, make a list of restraining forces that discourage or inhibit you from smoking.

Compare the two lists. Now all you have to do is to make sure the restraining forces that discourage you from smoking overpower the the driving forces that create in you the desire to smoke. 

Yes, all you have to do to quit smoking is to strengthen the restraining forces, mitigate and weaken the driving forces and most importantly, where possible, change direction of some driving forces and convert them into restraining forces by using techniques from concepts like NLP, 4T etc or, best of all, your own improvised techniques.

Learn how to tactfully and effectively avoid smoking.

Suppose your friends try to force you, taunt you saying you are a sissy, spoil sport, killjoy etc simply say, "I really must go," and leave the place.

Always be with likeminded people whom you want to emulate.

Remember what Epictetus said: 


If you want to do something make a habit of it
If you want not to do something refrain from doing it.


I have also read somewhere:

If want to be happily married, remain in the company of happily married people.

Similarly: 

If you want to stop smoking try to be in the company of non-smokers.

Avoid situations which elicit craving.

Substitute healthy activities like physical exercise, recreation and creative hobbies instead of smoking.

Change your lifestyle, your friends, and your activities.

Identify your stimuli, triggers, situations, people and anchors, internal and external, tangible and intangible – the driving forces that create in you the urge to have a smoke and facilitate smoking and mitigate them by improvising force field analysis as it suits you best. Try to be in places where smoking is not allowed.

Force Field Analysis works for me. I am sure it will work for you too.

If you are a smoker I hope this blog post of mine will help you quit smoking and if you are not a smoker please send the link of this article to him or her and help them quit smoking. 

VIKRAM KARVE 
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2012
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Did you like this article?
I am sure you will like the 27 short stories from my recently published anthology of Short Fiction COCKTAIL 

To order your COCKTAIL please click any of the links below:
http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html


COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the links below:
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

Foodie Book:  Appetite for a Stroll
If your are a Foodie you will like my book of Food Adventures APPETITE FOR A STROLL. Do order a copy from FLIPKART:
http://www.flipkart.com/appetite-stroll-vikram-karve/8190690094-gw23f9mr2o

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories, creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional research papers in journals and edited in-house journals for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for almost 14 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.

Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com   
vikramkarve@gmail.com

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

42 comments:

Sandeep Pandey said...

Hi, nice blog & good post. You have beautifully maintained it, you must try this Indian Travel Agency website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!
Flexi said...
Travel Agency in India

Anonymous said...

I wish to show my appreciation to the writer just for bailing me out of this matter. Just after looking through the online world and getting solutions that were not pleasant, I thought my entire life was well over. Being alive without the solutions to the difficulties you have fixed through the write-up is a serious case, and ones which could have negatively affected my entire career if I hadn't encountered your website. The training and kindness in controlling everything was very useful. I am not sure what I would have done if I hadn't come upon such a step like this. I can now look ahead to my future. Thank you very much for your expert and effective help. I won't hesitate to recommend the sites to anybody who should receive direction on this problem.
ErgoHunter, Avid

Kharie said...

I really like your ideas on compiling some important notes and links on how to really stop smoking. It is really hard especially when a person used cigarettes for so long. But I also believe that Hypnosis can also a big factor on how to quit smoking. I just stumbled on this video and concentrated. http://tinyurl.com/FreeGregoryHypnosisVideo

I think it effective too.. What do you think?

Genevie said...

I like the idea to tell us how to quit smoking, there are many ways on how to do that but i think it depends on the person who want to remove it forever like instead cigarette chew a chewing gum or use electronic cigarette a very effective method. I love the way you share this but if you add some videos on it i think your blog is on the hot-seat right now.

electronic cigarette

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Genevie - hope this helps smokers kick the habit

Joshua Harris said...

I tell people the best way to quit- isn't really to literally quit, but to make a SWITCH with an alternative to take its place! There is only one real thing that will allow you to do this: Modified Electronic Cigarettes....not the disposable kind but the rechargeable, quality kind that can be found at www.jvmodshop.com. These devices deliver nicotine through flavored vapor/steam and allow you to rid your life of smoke. My husband smoked 22 years, and hasn't picked up a cigarette in 2 years thanks the modified electronic cigarettes. It has saved us 90% compared to cigarettes and even his teeth look whiter, he can smell things he wasn't able to smell in years, this is real. www.jvmodshop.com

The Ex-Smokers Secret said...

Great Vikram! You have really shared an awesome post. I completely agree with you and very useful information to every smokers to help them quit smoking. I would also suggest Hypnosis session for quit smoking is also a great way to quit smoking..

Regards Preeti.

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Hi Preeti (Ex-Smokers Secret)
Thank you for the nice words.
I agree, hypnosis may work for those with less will power.
Regards
Vikram

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Hi Joshua Harris,
That's a great way to quit

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vikram for your blog. I will surely try it. I have been smoking from last 5 years and i think it is time for me to stop it and never start it. I think you should give lectures about this topic in colleges and universities.. It would help youth to not to start smoking and to quit it soon..

shalki said...

Loved your article. Waiting for the clock to strike 5. Gonna go to marine drive and meditate with my cigarette :)

Ehow Solutions said...

These are good techniques one should fight hard to quite it permanently.

hypnosis to stop smoking said...

A smoking habit is so hard to break that it doesn't seem possible that a series of simple encouraging text messages could help in any significant way.

Anonymous said...

gone through enough of text. but i think and hope this might help. i have been smoking from since my final year college (not less than 1 and not more than 4) and would certainly write about my experience for next seven days as comments here.....it would be gr8 if u could help me with the any behavioural modifaction to combat lazyness that comes after not smoking( to combat the dopamine thing from ventrolateral tract of thalamus triggered from nucleus ambiguos ) coz i dont study the day i try to quit smoking...

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Dear Anonymous,
So, studying is your smoking anchor.
You will have to delink studies from smoking.
How do you do this?
STOP STUDYING
Don't study for one day and make sure you don't smoke that day. First, throw out all your cigarettes. Go out, see a movie, be in non-smoking areas, spend your day with non-smoker friends. Avoid anything that creates in you an urge to smoke - like tea or alcohol.
START STUDYING
Now slowly start studying in non-smoking zones like your college library. It will take time. The moment you are confident revert to studying in your room. But you must avoid your smoker friends and have strong willpower to never smoke again.
Also, it is better to feel lazy than to smoke. You will get over it after some time.
All the Best.
Do post your daily progress comments here.
Regards
Vikram

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Shalki
How was the meditation on Marine Drive?
LOL
Vikram

Anonymous said...

Day one, First time in last two years there has been a day when i didn't smoke..
"Self-help strategies alone only marginally affect quit rates.....bupropion or ..verniciline ,@4B2 nicotinic " ref.Harrison's principle of internal medicine..Page 738 18th edition under Smoking cessation You just proved it wrong

The constant idea of combating one anchor at a time is really brilliant..
My anchors were
1.talk with my Gf and triffle clashes which made me to divert my attention from studies( the intresting thing is i avoided the clash, it seemed today i used to create a conflict myself to make me stressed and find a reason to smokin;; but for that i am not really sure)
2.my exhausted mind at 11 after few hours of studies
3.my little low mood mood in evening
4. sight of cigarette shop while i went to market.

instead of Movies i watched T.V for little long and I am half of my day's target at studies but that is normal ,even more than few days.I feel little dizzy but i guess that is due to down-regulation of my dopamine receptor in thalamus. at the end of the day I m very very happy.

But i am not sure for if an impulse comes to me( with thoughts in accordance to my ego defense mechanism) and i would get some smoke and regret it later.....

And thanks a lot Mr.Vikram....I want it to work...And i will keep sharing...

Anonymous said...

Day 2: I am happy i didn't smoke the whole second day. but i want a cigarette badly..I m thinking of getting one since last 20 minutes..( with thoughts like i didn't follow the first part and directly jumped over second..i should follow it from start)see my mind playing games to me....a fact about cigarette is that u cant have an erection while smoking , u can have it before and after but not while smoking....and that is bcoz smoking pleasures u more than orgasm.( though there is no as such pleasure index; i beleive it though)... i guess my missing it is obvious..
in the morning i felt fresh, little different and then i recalled what had changed (i didn't smoke last day) detoxified as never before but slowly i started missing it..
Anchor thing worked.."fight one anchor at a time;it works"
but i m irritable, studied very less and did a binge eating in the evening while in market while combatting my anchors..two samosas with cholay, plate of panipuri, bread butter two cups tea (all in evening;;and i am not overweight B.M.I=22)
Its getting hard "the more i am resisting ;the more its persisting"
I want myself to be free of craving, and i wish tomorrow morning i dont crave as i did today""
While i encounter my anchor "one at a time", i somehow keep recalling the end of Novel of Paul Coelcho' the devil and miss pryme" and it helps..
Mr. Vikram i felt dumb the whole day , opened my lappy many time without any purpose reading your blogs, googling and wasting..
Could you plzz help me out to feel a little more alive and concentration tips...
I didn't smoke today But i am not sure about tommorrow..
.Now i realize why the score for craving a cigaret has been increased and equaled to Cocaine abusers in new guidelines of W.H.O..
My fight continues..would keep updating)...

Anonymous said...

Day 2: I am happy i didn't smoke the whole second day. but i want a cigarette badly..I m thinking of getting one since last 20 minutes..( with thoughts like i didn't follow the first part and directly jumped over second..i should follow it from start)see my mind playing games to me....a fact about cigarette is that u cant have an erection while smoking , u can have it before and after but not while smoking....and that is bcoz smoking pleasures u more than orgasm.( though there is no as such pleasure index; i beleive it though)... i guess my missing it is obvious..
in the morning i felt fresh, little different and then i recalled what had changed (i didn't smoke last day) detoxified as never before but slowly i started missing it..
Anchor thing worked.."fight one anchor at a time;it works"
but i m irritable, studied very less and did a binge eating in the evening while in market while combatting my anchors..two samosas with cholay, plate of panipuri, bread butter two cups tea (all in evening;;and i am not overweight B.M.I=22)
Its getting hard "the more i am resisting ;the more its persisting"
I want myself to be free of craving, and i wish tomorrow morning i dont crave as i did today""
While i encounter my anchor "one at a time", i somehow keep recalling the end of Novel of Paul Coelcho' the devil and miss pryme" and it helps..
Mr. Vikram i felt dumb the whole day , opened my lappy many time without any purpose reading your blogs, googling and wasting..
Could you plzz help me out to feel a little more alive and concentration tips...
I didn't smoke today But i am not sure about tommorrow..
.Now i realize why the score for craving a cigaret has been increased and equaled to Cocaine abusers in new guidelines of W.H.O..
My fight continues..would keep updating)...

Anonymous said...

day 3 afternoon..
i lost.....
smoked a cig...
i felt like a patient of O.C.D
...
would still try..and would keep updating...for next 4 days..
its distressing..

nishant

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Hi Anonymous (Nishant) - Why did you smoke? What created in you that urge to smoke? Try to analyse and focus on getting rid of that anchor. Have you tried Force Field Analysis (Part 3 of the above article). Best thing is avoid being alone and be with non-smokers. Drink lots of water. Go for a movie. Make sure you are in places and with people who are "restraining forces" for your smoking.
Forget about day 3 and bash on regardless with your resolve to quit smoking.
Tell yourself that if you don't quit now you may never ever quit smoking.
All the Best
Vikram

Anonymous said...

when i m not doing anything i just feel why not go out and get some smoke..
I smoked 4th and 5th 4 cigs a day...
Gonna Restart..ofcourse thats not happy to anounce....

And No...i didn't follow the Forced field analysis..coz.
the idea of combating one anchor a time seemed so complete to me at the end of two days that i didn't bother to give it an add-on
secondly i didn't even expect myself to be without this cig monster for few days( actually its longest smoke free tenure ever since i smoked.)
"the clinical criteria for smoking addiction calls for atleast one ciggarete per day for a month"..

i am having my NEET PG on 29th and this means my life and career to me..and i am afraid trying to quit smoking might not be a right thing at wrong time..
Mr. Vikram as always kindly suggest can this affect terribly in my exams..

May God bless you in this noble deed of helping addicts....
YOUR WORDS-MY ACTION..MAY IT END
HAPPILY..

would keep updating...


nishant

Buy vaporizers said...

Awesome and new thing here I found.

Alternative Medicine Vaporizers said...

Lots of time I read your blog and you have lots of good post for us.

Anonymous said...

Im so glad i came across this blog. I had decided to go cold turkey after a day of heavy smoking and drinking. After reading this blogpost i can proudly say that i havent touched a cigarette in 3 weeks now. But more importantly i have had drinking sessions (used to chain smoke when drinking) attended a rock concert (again would light up very often) , hung out with smokers and absolutely no urge to smoke. Hopefully this continues forever. And i cant describe how good i feel after quitting. Thank you for helping me quit smoking.

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Hi Anonymous,
I am so happy that my blog helped you quit smoking. I am sure you will never start again.
Congrats.
Regards
Vikram

NLP Training said...

Firstly i'll congrats you and your effort.You make such a wonderful work here.I hope many peoples whom are suffering from this bad habit see this and join too. Specially our young generations.Thanks you make things easy.

portable vaporizer said...

Wow I really like that way to quit smoking , I am sure it will help my sister too in quiting..

Vivek said...

Further to my comment on Nov 12, still going strong. Sent this blog post across to smoker friends of whom one has quit smoking too.hopefully more people benefit from your simple analogy of why smoke when you dont enjoy it and quit for good!
thanks again
vivek

vaporizers said...

Very very useful tips are given in this blog to stay out of smoking and it will help for sure to stay out of smoking thing.

Unknown said...

This worked for me, so sharing with you guys.
Money is the strongest motivator for me. Just calculate what it might cost, then think of using that for a greater cause.

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Hi Katrina,
I am so glad to read your idea on how to quit smoking.
Oh yes, any motivator to stop smoking is good, even calculating the money you are going to save and thinking of using it for a greater altruistic cause.
Great Idea.
All the Best
Regards
Vikram

Anonymous said...

Hi

“I know what to do but never implement it..”
one day my daughter asked me – Daddy, why are you crying sometime? I simply looked at her and told her I couldn’t do what I promised myself I would do…She then asked me why. It wasn’t easy to tell her because I was so afraid that she will believe in this too. I told her I set goals in life but I had a belief system that said I cannot do that and knowing that it destroyed me day by day, week by week and month by month.

I tell you this because some of you have this talk with yourself, some with your wife\husband and some with their parents.

It’s so darn hard to focus and do stuff in life because it’s hard to commit and do anything.

BUT…

I found the solution and I thank god this has happened to me.

you can search it via google or just use the link below to direct you to what helped me in life.
my best wishes to you,
Erik Chepoy.

http://d8d866z5q8n0vlzjwmia3rnd1y.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=PERFECT YOUR MIND

I hope I help some of you…Maybe not all but at least one person to benefit of this I will remain a happy person.

Thanks in advance for reading my story

Unknown said...

Oh! Magnificent post. Really this site is extremely obliging for all concerning this. I got a small number of important helps from here and extremely recommended it. Certainly I will be acquainted with my relatives and relevant competitors concerning this blog and will wait for more. Thanks a lot…….

Ummi said...

Thanks for share it.

buy vaporizers said...

Quiet informative blogpost and very helpful also in quiting smoke easily..

Jim T said...

Your article is quit usefull. I quited smoking 7 months ago. I used an online program called: The painless stop smoking cure and I saw the results immediately. Other people may have quitted smoking without it but I think it's a useful program

Unknown said...

Hypnotherapy for lose weight, stop smoking, inspiring positive change and any other issue that we can help with.
Hypnosis smoking
Stop smoking hypnosis

Unknown said...

Hypnosis works by helping you to establish a new patterns of behaviour, by visualising and dealing with the issues at a subconscious level you can realise lasting change.

Hypnosis smoking
Stop smoking hypnosis

herbal vaporizers said...

Quit smoking using herbal vaporizers as they are very safe to use.

herbs vaporizers said...

Quit smoking by using the alternative smoking devices easily and stay healthy.

Quit Smoking said...

Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting information. I’ve wanted to write something like this text on my blog and this gave me excellent idea. Cheers!