Wednesday, May 11, 2011

MY PET DOGS

My Canine Companions

By
VIKRAM KARVE

I remember my first pet dog Goldie, a Cocker Spaniel, who was presented to us by our neighbour in Devlali in 1961, when I was just five.


We named him Goldie because of his colour, and the tiny one month old pup remained my constant companion and loyal friend till he passed away in 1970.

Then we had Bruno, a cute cuddly Lhasa Apso, who disappeared, or maybe was stolen one day.

After that a black playful Dachshund called Sherry entered our family.


I loved Sherry so much that I have named all my subsequent dogs Sherry.

In 1982 we were presented a lovable snow-white Lhasa Apso girl as a wedding gift.


Of course we named her Sherry.


Ours was an arranged marriage and probably the only thing that was compatible was that we both loved dogs.

Today it is my favourite Doberman X Mudhol Hound girl Sherry who illuminates every moment of our lives with happiness, joy and delight. Just imagine, she was the runt of the litter, weak, dying, when my wife brought her home, and we nurtured her, and look how lively she has become - indeed Sherry is the light of our lives!

If you ask me “Why do people keep dogs?” 

I will ask you “Why do people have children?”

And remember, your children will grow up, and, one day, may go away from you, maybe for higher studies, or to pursue their careers, or just leave you because they want to stay separately; but your dog will never leave you and will loyally remain with you forever till death.

Of course, if you throw out your dog, or get rid of it, then it’s a different matter; but your dog won’t leave you of its own accord.

If you are thinking of getting a dog into your home, as a family member, remember you are making a commitment to that dog for its lifetime, probably even more than your own children. 

You need not go in for a fancy foreign breed. An Indian Breed or Mixed Breed or a mongrel, a stray, is hardier and will give you more pleasure. 

And once the dog joins your family, invest your love and time to build a special bond that only a dog can offer, and you will both be happy you did.


You can take my word for it!

VIKRAM KARVE

No comments: