Wednesday, May 4, 2011

THE TOMBSTONE

THE TOMBSTONE
Fiction Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE
“See this.” 
“It’s a lab journal.” 
“I picked it up at the raddiwala.” 
“Hey, I sent you to sell old newspapers, not collect raddi.” 
“Open it, read the name.” 
“John Morris.” 
“John Morris? That is my husband’s name.” 
“I know – unbelievable, isn’t it? Just imagine – your husband’s science lab journal, after so many years – and that too here, at a raddiwala in Delhi.” 
“Let’s go to Mussoorie.” 
“Mussoorie? Now? Are you crazy?” 
“To John’s school. He studied in a boarding school in Mussoorie but he never tells me anything about his schooldays.  I’m dying to know – let’s go, please.” 
“Annie, be sensible. You’ve got to catch the flight back home to New Yorkearly tomorrow morning.” 
“Please Priti, I have to go – this journal, serendipity, it’s a signal. Let’s go in your car – Mussoorie is only a five hour drive – we can easily be back by evening.” 
"Okay, let's go."
That afternoon the two women are seated in the office of the Headmaster of a famous school in Mussoorie. 
“I wonder how this school journal surfaced after twenty years, and that too in Delhi,” the Headmaster says, with an expression of awe. 
“I’d love to know about my husband’s schooldays – photos, anything…” 
“Well, I’ve joined recently; most of the staff too…why don’t you ask the Bursar…he’s an old timer.” 
Annie and Priti walk to the Bursar’s office and show him the science lab journal. 
“Mrs. Bhalla must have taken this journal with her to Delhi as remembrance when she retired,” the Bursar says wistfully. 
“Remembrance? Mrs Bhalla?” 
“Our previous Science Teacher – John Morris was her favourite student – she treated him like a son.” 
“Son?” 
“Yes. John was an orphan – he lost both his parents in a car accident…” 
“I know.” 
“…and Mrs. Bhalla was a childless widow. They lived for each other – like mother and son.” 
“It’s surprising – John never told me about Mrs. Bhalla…” 
“John told you? When did you meet John Morris?”
“Two weeks back.” 
“Two weeks back? That is impossible. Where did you meet John?” 
“In New York. At home. John Morris is my husband.” 
“John Morris is your husband? That’s just not possible…” 
“Not possible? Why do you say that? I am Annie Morris – I have been married to John Morris for five years.” 
“Look here young lady. There seems to be some mistake…” 
“Mistake ? No. No. There is no mistake. Everything fits perfectly. John told me he studied here. Twenty years back, in 1988, he must have been in class nine, like it’s written on this journal. I know he was born in 1974.” 
“1974 ?” 
“Yes. The 7th of September 1974.” 
“Oh, My God…How do you know all this? Tell me, do you remember when you first met John Morris?” 
“Of course I remember – I first met him in May 2001. In New York. Why are you asking me all this?” 
“Come with me,” the Bursar says, and the two women follow the podgy old man up the slopes of Landour to the cemetery near Lal Tibba. 
The two women, Annie and Priti, freeze with shock as they read the large bold letters engraved on the tombstone: 
                 JOHN MORRIS
      BORN: 7 SEPTEMBER 1974
      DIED: 15 DECEMBER 1988
                 RIP 
Annie Morris stares at the tombstone. Her brain goes into a tizzy and suddenly she blurts out: “If this is the real John Morris, then who is that man living with me in New York? And if that man in New York, my husband, is the real John Morris, then who is this man lying dead for twenty years in this grave? Who is my husband? Can someone please tell me who is my husband?” 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2011
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
Did you like this story? 
This is a story about relationships, and so are the stories in my recent book COCKTAIL.
I am sure you will like the stories in my recent collection of 27 short stories COCKTAIL
So, how about trying out this delicious heady exciting COCKTAIL 
(just click the links below to order online on flipkart, indiaplaza or from the publisher)

Cheers       
About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures(2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories, creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional research papers in journals and edited in-house journals for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for almost 14 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts. 

Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm

Email: vikramkarve@sify.com          

Fiction Short Stories Book


© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

No comments: