Wednesday, November 30, 2016

How to Plan Your Life

HOW TO PLAN YOUR LIFE 
Ramblings of a Retired Mind
By
VIKRAM KARVE 

ARE YOU LETTING OTHERS PLAN YOUR LIFE...?

If you travel on a road which others have built – then you will reach the destination where the road goes.

Yes – if you travel on a road that someone else has built – you will reach that destination which those who built the road want you to reach.

You will not the destination you want to reach.

It is true  isn’t it?

Since others have built the road on which you travel  you will reach the destination which the road-builders want you to reach.

In a metaphorical sense  it is the same with the journey of life too.

If you let others plan your life – then you will reach the “destination” which they want you to reach.

That is why – you must plan your own life according to the “destination” or goal that you want to reach.

Unfortunately  it is easier said than done.

How do you land up travelling on the wrong road on the Journey of Life...?

It all starts when you are small – too young to understand things  and too immature to formulate your life goal.

The moment you enter school – your parents decide what they want you to achieve – the “destination” they want you to reach – and your ambitious parents start planning your life accordingly.

Your teachers play a role in planning your life too.

And – you are quite clueless to understand anything – since you are too young to understand what is going on.

It happened with me too.

In Class 9  I was put in the “Science” Stream.

No one asked me my choice  because probably  I was considered too young to make a choice.

In our school – there was a simple rule – only those “weak” in mathematics were sent to the “Arts” Stream.

And unfortunately  I was good at Maths.

Sometimes – it is a great misfortune to be good at something you don’t like.

Later  my parents, teachers and “well-wishers” decided that I must appear for the IIT JEE.

I cleared the JEE – studied Engineering for 5 years – got a B. Tech. degree  and reached the destination that they wanted me to reach (they wanted me to be an Engineer)

The same thing happened during most of my working life too.

It was others who did my career planning.

The HR bosses in the Navy decided which training courses I should do which areas of expertise I should specialize in  which ships I should be posted on  my appointments  everything.

And – I kept “travelling” on the “path” they planned for me  and  I duly reached the “destinations” they wanted to me to reach.

First  my parents and teachers planned my life.

Then  the Navy planned my life.

It was only after retirement – that I had the luxury of planning my own life according to the goals I wanted to reach.

No longer do I have to “travel” on roads that others have built for me.

No longer am I reaching “destinations” that others want me to reach.

Now  I am my own master.

I decide my goals – I plan my life  and I “build” my own road towards the “destination” that I want to reach.

But  I can do this only now – after retirement.

Just imagine what could have happened if I had been given an opportunity to plan my life in school.


WHO IS PLANNING YOUR LIFE...?

I trust things have changed now  and young children are being given greater independence to decide their own destiny.

I really don’t know  so you tell me.

Are young children being given the freedom to plan their own lives...?

Or – are parents still planning the lives of their children and making them “travel” on roads towards “destinations” that the parents want their children to reach...?

And worse  are some parents trying to achieve their own unrealized goals vicariously through their children...?

If you are a young student  remember that you have to plan your own life according to the goal you want to reach.

If you let others plan your life – then you will reach the “destination” they want you to reach.

And once you have travelled too far down the wrong road  it becomes difficult to turn back  and you are left with no choice but to continue travelling  till you reach the wrong “destination”.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

No comments: