Sunday, March 4, 2012

OFFICERS NEVER GET DRUNK THEY ONLY FEEL NICE

There is a saying in the Navy:
Officers are never late, they only get delayed
Officers are never drunk, they only feel nice



DRINKING ALCOHOL - GOLDEN RULE No. 2
FEEL NICE BUT DON'T GET DRUNK
By
VIKRAM KARVE

As I have written above, there is a saying in the Navy – Officers never get drunk, they only feel nice.

The aim of drinking alcohol is to feel high. But to get drunk is a terrible experience. If you’ve ever got drunk you know how painful the aftermath is and if you haven’t ever got drunk just watch the movie THE HANGOVER to see what all can happen when you get drunk. I enjoyed my drinks but I tried to make sure that I did not get drunk.

I had my first drink in 1978 – a peg of the best Scotch Whisky (King of Kings). I enjoyed it. For a few months I relished the choicest of Scotch Whisky, and later, when I came ashore I developed a taste for Rum, my favourite brand was Hercules Rum and I loved the taste of Rum-Pani. Later, as Hercules and Sea Pirate were not easily available, I drank Old Monk and Lord Nelson Rum. (Somehow after having savoured the best Scotch Whiskies I did not enjoy the taste of the Indian Whiskey of those days, except Solan No. 1 which I drank occasionally when Rum was not available). I enjoyed my sundowners for about 25 years when one day I suddenly quit drinking forever. I quit drinking because I wanted to quit smoking. I realized that alcohol was my biggest smoking anchor and whenever I had a drink I got a strong urge to smoke. Now for more than 10 years I am a strict teetotaler and non-smoker and I feel good but I do remember some episodes from my drinking days once in a while. I will share these delightful memories and also a few tips or Golden Rules for Drinking Alcohol based on my own experience.

I have already shared GOLDEN RULE NO. 1 on my Blog.
Please click the link below to read it

and then make sure you remember to come back here to read Golden Rule No. 2 - HOW NOT TO GET DRUNK

As I said, there is a saying in the Navy – Officers never get drunk, they only feel nice. So how do you make sure you don’t get drunk but feel nice too. It is simple. Just follow this golden rule: DRINK ONE GLASS OF WATER BEFORE YOU START DRINKING and then DRINK ONE GLASS OF WATER AFTER YOUR LAST DRINK. After that proceed for having your food and do not drink alcohol (even wines) with your meal or after your meal. Have dessert or pudding, especially something milk based like ice cream. End your meal with a glass of water (never have liqueurs or brandy if you have had drinks before dinner – in case you are fond of liqueurs do enjoy them after a relaxed meal which has not been preceded or accompanied by alcohol).  

And while you are having your drinks if you ever feel that you are getting tipsy, just interrupt your drinking and have a glass of cold water. 

Personally, I recommend choosing your drink as per the colour of the day (light colour drinks like Vodka, Gin and Beer in daytime), Whisky with plenty of bubbly Soda in the evening as a sundowner with the setting sun and dark Rum, Whisky or Brandy at night. I always drank my whisky or rum with plenty of water and avoided cocktails and “down-the-hatch” shots. Yes, never “down-the-hatch” or gulp your drink in a hurry. If you are drinking a rich brandy or single malt whisky neat, drink unhurriedly, take a small sip, close your eyes and roll the liquor on your tongue, in a relaxed manner, savour every sip as it slowly warms your insides and elevates your spirits

Remember the saying -  मज़ा लेना है पीने का तो कम कम धीरे धीरे पी 

Try it – a glass of cold water before you start and a glass of cold water after your last drink. A sure-fire way to feel nice but avoid getting drunk. Breathtaking in its simplicity, isn’t it? It works – you can take my word for it.

Remember the navy adage – officers are never drunk, they only feel nice.

So if you must drink, enjoy the experience and make sure you feel nice - but don’t get drunk.

Cheers…!!!

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2012
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Did you like this piece?
I am sure you will like the stories in my recently published book COCKTAIL comprising twenty seven short stories about relationships. To order the book please click the links below:
http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html

COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the link below:
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and he is currently working on his novel. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories and creative non-fiction articles in magazines and journals for many years before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for almost 14 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts. 

Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com        

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

2 comments:

shirin goel said...

ultimate….
mumbaiflowerplaza.com

Rachana Shakyawar said...

Beautiful!!!!
Your post reminds me of my paa, I think he only loved Scotch Whisky, and almost always I have seen his fav. Old Monk bottle lingering in shelf, which ones empty, my mom re-uses it by filling water and adding a moneyplant in it :P

Between, must say, why I'm admitting this is because he is a true gentleman and I have never seen him getting tipsy or behaving odd after he drinks. May be like you he also knw all trick how to maintain balance and enjoy drink instead. So I adore this very quality in him. However, i'm glad that my hubby does not drink, somehow we both hav same kind of taste in food & drinks. So it is wonderful. He loves lemonade and I cannot live without orange juice, we are one citrus family.

I so love reading ur posts, it always urges me to share my story with you, yeah all funny stuff!

Thank you for being there!!
~ Keep the Spark ALive..