Monday, March 5, 2012

I WRITE BECAUSE IT MAKES ME HAPPY


The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts 
WHY I WRITE
The Thrill and Enjoyment of Creative Writing
By
VIKRAM KARVE

There is a saying: happiness is a journey, happiness is not a destination.

Yes, happiness is the manner in which you travel the journey of life.

It is the same with creative writing. The process of creative writing is more enjoyable than the completion. It is the creative journey, the manner of travelling, which is more thrilling and rewarding than the material reward of success after publication of your creative work.

Earlier I wrote fiction short stories. I enjoyed the whole process of writing a short story – thinking of the idea, the theme, the plot, the characters, the setting, the writing of the story. During this creative process the story belonged to me.

Once the story was completed and published, it was all over. Now the story belonged to everyone. It is like pregnancy – once a baby is conceived she is nurtured inside the mother and after the baby is born she belongs to everyone.

When you are in the process of creative writing you will transcend into the world of thought and reflection and your mind will always be filled with interesting thoughts and this will always keep you happy. 

Yes, it is true:

The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts 

Creative Writing makes me think interesting thoughts and thus keeps me happy. 

The man who does not write is imprisioned in his immediate world in respect to time and space. His life falls into a set routine, limited to contact and conversation with his family, workplace colleagues, a few friends and acquaintances, and he sees only what happens in the world around him. But the moment he starts writing he immediately enters a different world.

I am writing a fiction novel now and let me tell you that I am thoroughly enjoying the wonderful process, the creative journey. First thing in the morning, the moment I wake up, I think of the story, the plot, the scenes, the characters of my novel, I transcend to a world of my own and throughout the day fascinating thoughts perambulate in my mind. This is truly a stimulating experience which keeps me happy and cheerful throughout the day until the last moments before I drop off into sleep at night .

I am sure that my novel will be good because I have put my heart into my writing and the way it is shaping up I am confident that my novel will be a success, but that is not my only goal or the primary aim of why I am writing every day. I want to enjoy the sheer thrill of the creative writing “journey” more than the “destination” of publication of the novel.

I write because it makes me happy. Even blogging (the modern day “writing”) makes me very happy too. As I had once written: A Blog a day keeps the doctor away.

So, Dear Reader:

Write, Blog, keep thinking interesting thoughts, and be Happy.

I will end with a quote on happiness from William Lyon Phelps:

The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts. Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good company, good conversation, are the happiest people in the world. And they are not only happy in themselves, they are the cause of happiness in others.”

VIKRAM KARVE 

Copyright © Vikram Karve 2012
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Did you like this piece?
I am sure you will like the 27 short stories from my recently published anthology of Short Fiction COCKTAIL 

To order your COCKTAIL please click any of the links below:
http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html



COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the links below:
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

Foodie Book:  Appetite for a Stroll
If your are a Foodie you will like my book of Food Adventures APPETITE FOR A STROLL. Do order a copy from FLIPKART:
http://www.flipkart.com/appetite-stroll-vikram-karve/8190690094-gw23f9mr2o

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories, creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional research papers in journals and edited in-house journals for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for almost 14 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.

Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com     
vikramkarve@gmail.com


© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

2 comments:

Rachana Shakyawar said...

To me writing is almost like a therapy. When I write I feel worth. When I write I feel as if I have accomplished something, I feel like I have shared something. It heals me. It reminds me rethink certain things re-establish my ideas and stuff in which I believe in completely. It further clears my thought process. Very satisfying. I'm glad that I read your blog/posts since they are so soul-stirring and make me ponder over certain aspects of life. Which is a wonderful process, must admit!!
You absolutely Rock!!!
Love the way you share your stories, your ideas and your concepts!!!! Glad that I can read!!!

~Keep the Spark Alive..

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Dear Rachana,
Firstly, sorry for the late reply.
I am so happy you like to read my blog. Thank you so much for your nice words.
Be Happy
Regards
Vikram