Tuesday, March 13, 2012

REQUIESCAT IN PACE - RIP - REST IN PEACE - My Favourite Short Stories Part 94


Requiescat in pace 
Rest in Peace 
RIP
Fiction Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE  

 
From my Creative Writing Archives - One of my earliest fiction short stories...
  
Read this slowly and carefully. 

Take your time.

Savour every word.

Try to enjoy reading this.

Beacause this is going to be the last thing you ever read.

Yes, you’re not going to read anything else after you finish reading this.

Let me tell you why. 

Because by the time you finish reading this, I am going to finish you off.

Yes. 

You read right. You read bloody right!

I am going to finish you off.

You can take my word for it.

I am going to finish you off once and for all.

Murder you in cold blood.

Till you are dead.

RIP.

Requiescat in pace
.

Or is it requiescant in pace?  
 
It doesn't matter. 

It just doesn’t matter how you describe death.

But one thing is sure - you are going to rest in peace.

That’s right. You are going to Rest in Peace.

Rest in Peace ...!
RIP.

Forever.

You think this is a big joke?

It is not a joke. 


Yes, my friend, this is no joke.

I’m going to terminate you.

I’ve been watching you for days. 

You’re so nice and healthy. 

That is why I have no compunctions, no guilt feelings, as I firmly believe that my victim ought to be in good health, since it is barbarous to kill anybody who is weak or of a sickly disposition. 

After you finish reading this, just sit back and relax. 

But don't turn around and look behind you.

That's right - DO NOT LOOK BEHIND YOU

I know you can find excuses to hang around your house, or your office, or wherever you are reading this; but sooner or later you’re going to have to get up and go out.

That’s where I’ll be waiting for you.

Or maybe I am closer to you than that.

Maybe I am in this very room where you are sitting.  

You think of death as something far away, something distant, don’t you...?

It is not...! 

Death is very near, very close to you. 

Maybe just behind you. Yes, death may be lurking right behind you. Right now!

Believe me. 

I am dead serious. 

Your death is just lurking behind your back.

Do not look behind you. 

Come on, Dear Friend. 

Tell me. Where are you reading this?

In your office on your PC? 

Or are you reading this at home, late at night, on your laptop? 

Or are you reading this outdoors, or while traveling, or on a lazy afternoon...?

Or have you taken a printout and are reading this propped up on your pillow in bed late at night?

It doesn't matter. 

It just does not matter.

Because I am going to come and kill you the moment you finish reading this.

You can take my word for it.  

If you are home while reading this, maybe I am in your house with you right now.

Maybe in this very room, stealthily creeping right behind you, waiting for you to finish the story.

Do not look behind you.  

Maybe I am watching surreptitiously though your office window.

Or maybe I am standing menacingly right behind you as you sit at your work desk staring at the monitor, waiting to pierce you with the deadly needle of the venom filled hypodermic syringe the moment you finish reading this.

Just sit still and keep reading.

Do not look behind you.  

Or maybe I’m sitting covertly right next to you in the Internet café where you are reading this.

Don’t look, dear friend. 

Don't turn, don't look.

Please do not turn around and look.

Just keep reading. 

Just focus your eyes on this page and keep on reading this.

Maybe I am waiting outside for you.

But don’t look around. Please do not turn and look around.

You will be happier if you don’t know – if you don’t see the needle coming.

So please do not look behind you.  

But wherever you are reading this, rest assured that I am near you, I am very near you, very very near you, watching and waiting for you to finish reading this.

And then I will silently slither right behind you.

And from the right pocket of my trousers I’ll carefully take out the lethal syringe.

Don’t be scared.

You won’t feel a thing.

Maybe just a wee little scratch, a teeny weeny prick of a tiny microscopic needle.

And you will die instantly.

It’s much better killing this way – instantaneous, effortless, clean, clinical, painless. 


I like it this way.

When I kill people this way they don’t even come to know.

Unless they turn around and look.

So don’t look behind you!

I am warning you. 

Yes I am warning you.

Just don't turn around and look behind you.  
 
You don’t believe in the macabre, do you?

You think my imagination is running wild and this is just my amateurish attempt at writing a short story, don’t you?

Go on, smile to yourself, thinking this is just a joke, a fib, a yarn.

But let me assure you that this is no joke.

Don’t look behind you


Please do not look behind you.

You don't believe me?

Okay, don’t believe me – until you feel the gentle prick of the hypodermic needle penetrating deep into your spine.


Then, my Dear Friend, you will Rest in Peace - RIP.  Requiescat in pace 

VIKRAM KARVE 
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2012
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Did you like this story?
I am sure you will like the 27 short stories from my recently published anthology of Short Fiction COCKTAIL - of course, there are no horror stories in Cocktail - in Cocktail there are short stories about love, romance and relationships

To order your COCKTAIL please click any of the links below:
http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html


COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the links below:
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

Foodie Book:  Appetite for a Stroll
If your are a Foodie you will like my book of Food Adventures APPETITE FOR A STROLL. Do order a copy from FLIPKART:
http://www.flipkart.com/appetite-stroll-vikram-karve/8190690094-gw23f9mr2o

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories, creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional research papers in journals and edited in-house journals for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for almost 15 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.

Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com   
vikramkarve@gmail.com

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
  

No comments: