Sunday, August 5, 2012

HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY


HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY 
By
VIKRAM KARVE  

PART 1 - IF YOU NEED A FRIEND GET A DOG

I still remember the apt quote from Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) in the classic movie WALL STREET :   

“ If you need a friend, get a dog 

It is true – if you need a genuine loving friend just get a dog.

Tell me, what is the highest form of love?
blog
I’ll tell you, it is called Agape Love – the totally pure and selfless love of one person for another.

Do you want to experience this highest form of love, agape love?

Simple, just get yourself a pet dog, a nice cute little puppy, and make a commitment to look after it as your own child.

You will learn The Art of Friendship from your dog.

There is nothing to surpass the strong affection, warm attachment, unselfish loyalty, total trust and true friendship of a pet dog who will love you unconditionally for its entire life.

You will love to come home to the enthusiastic greeting and genuine welcome that your dog will give you each time you return home which will fill you with love and joy.

Your pet dog will give you loyal jovial companionship and unquestioning affection forever, fill you with buoyant happiness and your life will become bright and breezy.

Remember 
your girlfriend or boyfriend may dump you 
your spouse may divorce you
your children may abandon you
your parents may disown you
your relatives may distance themselves from you
your colleagues may shun you
your neighbours may ostracize you
but your dog will always love you, be loyal to you and never leave your side
yes, you may get rid of your dog, but your dog will always love you and never leave you of its own accord.

In fact, investing your time and love in your dog is much more rewarding than wasting time, money and emotional effort indulging in unrequited romances and unfulfillingrelationships.

Once the dog joins your family, invest your love and time to build a special bond that only a dog can offer and see how your dog makes you learn and practice the Art of Loving and the Art of Friendship.

Just go ahead. Get a pet dog. You'll be happy you did and your life will change forever.

There is plenty of choice – whether you live in the city or the mofussil, in an apartment or bungalow, whatever your lifestyle, age and state of health, there is always a type of dog which will suit your personality and lifestyle. 

You need not be too fussy about pure breeds etc - even a rough and tough well cared for mongrel is a delight and will shower you with love. 

In Part 2 of this article I will give you a few tips on Pet Parenting once you get a dog in your life.
 



Here is a picture of my Doberman X Caravan Hound Girl Sherry (earlier the vets used to call her Doberman X but now they call her a more dignified Indian Hound).

Sherry says a loving Bow Wow to you.

PART 2 - PET DOG PARENTING TIPS


Now that you are thinking of getting a pet dog here are some pet parenting tips. 


Remember that it is going to be a genuine long-term commitment and your life will change forever. 

The pet dog is going to be a new member of your family. 

Before you bring the pet dog into your home and your life it would be worthwhile to read this:


TEN PET DOG PARENTING TIPS
(Your Pet Dog Speaks to You)

1. My life is likely to last ten to fifteen years. I want your company always. Any separation from you will be painful for me. You must spend plenty of time with me. Remember that when you get me to your home and into your life and family.
 
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Be patient. Tell me. Learn my language. Teach me your language. I will learn fast and obey you and try to please you always.

3. Place your trust in me – it is crucial for my well-being. I will always be steadfastly loyal to you.

4. Please don't be angry at me for long, and please don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment, your family members and your friends. I have only you.

5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me. I will quickly learn and understand all your emotions and body language too.

6. Always treat me with care and love. I will never forget it.

7. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hands, but that I choose not to bite you. Even if I am naughty never hit me. I will be contrite even if bring a serious look on your face.

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right food, or I have been out in the sun or in the cold too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too, will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys, especially my last journey. Never say: 'I can't bear to watch it', 'let it happen in my absence' or 'I am tired of you'. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I Love You.

If you are thinking of getting a dog into your home, remember that your dog will be a family member like your own children and you are you are making a commitment to that dog for its lifetime, and will have to look after your dog probably even more than your own children.

Dogs are incredibly loyal and are simply happy just being around you and give you unconditional joy, love and friendship. 


Your dog is your best friend and confidante. 

Remember that while you can hide your emotions from another human, you cannot hide your emotions from your dog. 

I will like to reiterate once more:

your girlfriend or boyfriend may dump you, 
your spouse may divorce you, 
your children may abandon you, 
your parents may disown you, 
your relatives may distance themselves from you, 
your colleagues may shun you, 
your neighbours may ostracize you, 
but your dog will always love you, be loyal to you and never leave your side 

(yes, you may try to get rid of your dog, 
but your dog will always love you and never leave you of its own accord, 
and your dog will never forget you till his dying day).

So, once the dog joins your family, invest your love and time to build a special bond that only a dog can offer. 

Build a long-term permanent and unique relationship with your dog. 

You will experience Agape Love, unconditional love of the highest order, and enjoy a loyal friendship which you have never experienced with human beings.

You don't have to go in for a fashionable expensive breed. 

You can adopt a stray dog or a mongrel or a mixed breed - they are more hardy and tough than pure breeds. Groom your pet properly, take it to a vet, inoculate it and make it healthy, give a mongrel puppy a home. 

Yes, get a dog. You will be happy you did.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2012
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Did you like this blog post?
I am sure you will like the 27 short stories from my recently published anthology of Short Fiction COCKTAIL
To order your COCKTAIL please click any of the links below:
http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html
COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the links below:
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

Foodie Book:  Appetite for a Stroll
If your are a Foodie you will like my book of Food Adventures APPETITE FOR A STROLL. Do order a copy from FLIPKART:
http://www.flipkart.com/appetite-stroll-vikram-karve/8190690094-gw23f9mr2o

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories, creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional research papers in journals and edited in-house journals for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for 15 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.

Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com      


© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: