Wednesday, March 30, 2022

MY FIANCÉE – short story

Short Fiction

______

MY FIANCÉE

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

______

I called Nisha – my fiancée.

Nisha answered almost immediately.

“I was waiting for your call – have you reached…?” Nisha asked me, excitedly.

“No – my flight got cancelled at the last minute due to some problem with the aircraft – so – they deboarded us – they made us wait in the departure lounge for 3 hours saying the flight was delayed and would take off once the aircraft was ready – and now they are saying that the flight is cancelled…” I said to her.

“So – when are you going…?” she asked me.

“Tomorrow morning…” I said to her.

“Tomorrow…? So late…?” she said.

“There was a flight in the evening – but – I decided to stay for a day – so that I could spend some time with you…” I said to her.

“That’s so nice of you…” she said, “where are you now…?”

“I am at the Airport Hotel…” I said to her, “Okay – it’s one o’clock now – I’ll be at your office in half-an-hour – we’ll have lunch – then see a movie – go shopping – and spend the evening together…”

“I have office till 5:30 PM – I’ll meet you in the evening – tell me where I should come – or – if you want – I can come to the Airport Hotel – and we can spend the night together…” she said.

“Take “half-day” off – let’s spend the day together…” I said to her.

“No. No. That’s impossible. I am extremely busy in office today – I don’t even have a moment to breathe – please try to understand – I have deadlines to meet today – I just can’t leave office now – we’ll meet in the evening – and – I will make it up to you…” Nisha said, in a beseeching voice.

“Are you in your office right now…?” I asked Nisha.

“Of course – I am working in my office – where else can I be at this time…?” Nisha said.

“You are not in your office…” I said to her, “You are sitting in “XXX” Club with a man – enjoying a glass of beer…”

_______

Nisha turned around trying to find me – but – I had hidden myself from her view – behind a wooden screen.

I could see her – because she was in the light – but – she couldn’t see me – because I was in the dark – behind the screen.

There was shock and consternation on her face – as she looked around – searching for me.

Then she got up and started walking towards the entrance.

I made a quick exit before she spotted me – I was in no mood to confront her – or – listen to her excuses and lies.

______

I took a taxi and went straight to Nisha’s house.

Her mother opened the door – she seemed surprised to see me – but she asked me to sit down.

After a few moments – Nisha’s father came into the living room – probably woken up from his afternoon siesta

I told them that my flight had got cancelled and I would be going the next day.

“Where is Nisha…?” I asked her parents.

“She has gone to work…” her father said, “didn’t you call her and tell her about your flight being cancelled…?”

“I did…” I said, “did Nisha call you and tell you something…?”

“No. Nisha hasn’t called since she went to office in the morning…” her mother said.

I looked at Nisha’s parents – they looked quite confused – but – I wanted to get it off my chest.

“Nisha and Me – it is an arranged marriage – and – the proposal came from you – so – I thought that it would be best to tell you first – I am breaking my engagement with Nisha – I don’t want to marry her…” I said to Nisha’s parents.

I thought Nisha’s parents would be shocked – show some emotions – maybe even shout at me angrily – but – they were totally silent – their faces numb – as if they were pole-axed.

_______

After some time – I spoke.

“I am sorry – but – please patiently hear what I have to say…” I said to Nisha’s parents.

And – I told them the whole story – about what had happened – what I had seen with my own eyes.

Nisha’s father spoke first.

“She was just having lunch with a man…” Nisha’s father said.

“The issue is not that she had lunch with a male friend. The issue is that she lied to me about it…” I said to him.

“She has male colleagues in office…” Nisha’s mother said.

“Did I ever say that she can’t socialize with her male colleagues…? Did I ask her to break her friendship with her male friends or prohibit her from having male friends…?” I said, “Why did she lie to me that she was in office when she was actually having lunch with an office colleague or a friend…?”

“Maybe – she thought that you may not like it….” Nisha’s mother said to me.

“If she thought that I wouldn’t like it – then – why do it…?” I said to Nisha’s mother.

Nisha’s parents remained silent.

I said to them:

“Please ask Nisha two questions:

Firstly – why tell a lie when there is no need to tell a lie…?

Secondly – why do something that you have to lie about…?”

______ 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
3. E&OE

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: