Friday, July 5, 2019

The Gregarious Officer


THE GREGARIOUS OFFICER
Story from My Navy Days
Short Fiction
By
VIKRAM KARVE

42 Years Ago – Circa 1970’s

“Uncle, Uncle – please come home…” the two girls said.

The two cute girls – sisters – one 9 years old – the other 7 – they were the two daughters of the gregarious Commander “D”.

In that desolate “Stone Frigate” Training Establishment – where we were undergoing our Specialization Course – as young Sub Lieutenants – more than 42 years ago – in the 1970’s – the affable Commander “D” was the most sociable officer – in whose home – we felt truly welcome.

The other 3 Commanders (and the few married Lieutenant Commanders) – they were quite standoffish – and they kept their distance from trainee officers like us.

So – after the mandatory “social call” – we never visited their homes in view of their rather unsociable attitude towards us.

But – Commander “D” was different.

He was most welcoming and hospitable – and very generous in offering food and drink whenever we young bachelors visited his home.

He kept an open home – and – every evening there would invariably be some bachelor officers enjoying his food, drink and generous hospitality.

I visited Commander “D” quite often – at least once a week – or even more.

He had two cute daughters – 7 and 9 – and they had a special liking for me.

They had nicknamed me “Shrikhand Uncle” – and – whenever they saw me – they would say to me:

“Uncle, Uncle – please come home…”

Let me tell you why the two small girls had named me “Shrikhand Uncle”.

Actually – I felt quite guilty “sponging” on Commander “D” – enjoying his food and drink so often.

So – one evening – I took a bottle of Rum with me.

Commander “D” was furious with me and admonished me:

“In my home – you will have my booze and food – do you understand…?”

His wife said to me:

“And – don’t you dare get food packed from the Mess into my kitchen. Here – in my home – you will eat whatever I cook…”

I did not know how to return his hospitality since Commander “D” refused invitations to come to the Wardroom Mess.

One Sunday – we had gone to the nearby town (Jamnagar) – and – as was our routine – we watched the afternoon movie show – and – we were enjoying Kachori and Rasgullas at our favourite Sweet Shop.

As usual – I bought my weekly quota of 1 Kilogram of Shrikhand (which I kept in the Wardroom Dining Hall Fridge to have with my Lunch every afternoon in the Mess).

I suddenly got an idea.

I bought 1 Kilo of Shrikhand for Commander “D” too.

If he objected – we would tell him the Shrikhand was for his daughters.

In the evening – I walked towards to the bungalow of Commander “D”.

His two daughters were playing in the park.

When they saw me – they came running to me – and said excitedly:

“Uncle, Uncle – please come home…”

“I have brought something for you…” I said, “And – I gave them the packet of Shrikhand…”

Surprisingly – the small girls hadn’t tasted Shrikhand before.

The moment we reached Commander D’s home – the girls made their mother open the Shrikhand packet and started tasting the Shrikhand.

The small girls loved the Shrikhand – and they came and told me how much they had liked the Shrikhand.  

Then – we followed the usual routine.

I played “Ludo” and “Snakes and Ladders” with the two small girls.

After some time – around 7:30 PM – the mother called the girls for dinner.

I went out on the lawn to join Commander “D” – who was already drinking Rum.

He poured me a drink – and we started drinking in earnest.

The girls came out after their dinner – they wished us Good Night – and they ran inside to their bedroom to sleep.

Commander D’s wife got us plenty of “Small Eats” to enjoy with our drinks – and she sat with us with a soft drink.

We talked – thoroughly enjoying our drinks, the “small eats” and the lively conversation.

Normally – there would be many officers – but tonight – surprisingly – I was their only guest.

Yes – every evening there would be someone or the other – enjoying Commander D’s hospitality.

Commander “D” and his bachelor officer “guests” would drink till late at night and have dinner after midnight.

That night – we drank till well after midnight – we had dinner at around 1 AM – and – by the time I returned to my cabin in the Wardroom Mess – it was almost 2 AM – in the wee hours of the morning.

As I told you – someone or the other “bounced” Commander “D” every evening – so – it was a “party” every evening in Commander D’s bungalow.

Commander D’s two small daughters would play in the children’s park – near the Wardroom – and whenever they saw a bachelor officer – they would say:

“Uncle, Uncle – please come home…”

I made it a point to get “Shrikhand” for them from town every Sunday – and since the two small girls had nicknamed me “Shrikhand Uncle” – the moment the saw me – they would say:

“Shrikhand Uncle, Shrikhand Uncle – please come home…”

For 6 months – we – the entire course – we enjoyed the generous hospitality of the magnanimous and gregarious Commander “D” – drinking copious quantities of his Rum – and – relishing the delicious food cooked by Commander D’s benevolent wife.

And – one day – our course was over – and we joined our respective ships – at Mumbai and Vizag.

I was lucky to get a Mumbai Based Ship – which enabled me to enjoy the delights of “Maximum City” whenever my ship was in harbor.

3 Years Later

I was lucky – after 2 years on a frontline frigate – I was appointed on a frontline destroyer – also based at Mumbai.

So – I had spent 3 years in Mumbai.

One evening I was strolling on Marine Drive.

I was delighted to see Commander D’s two daughters sitting on the parapet by the sea.

I waved out to them.

They recognized me.

“Hello “Shrikhand Uncle” – so nice to see you here…” the girls said.

They looked slightly grown up – 3 years had passed since I had met them last – then – they were 7 and 9 – now – they would be 10 and 12 – but they still looked very cute.

“What are you doing here on Marine Drive…?” I asked them.

“We live over there…” they said – pointing to a building across Marine Drive.

(Those days – many Naval Officers lived in houses in “South Bombay” (So Bo) – in posh localities of Mumbai – like Marine Drive, Churchgate, Backbay Reclamation, Colaba, Cuffe Parade, Apollo Bunder, Malabar Hill etc.

Earlier – even the Naval Officers’ Western Command Mess was located off Marine Drive in a building called “Vasant Sagar” on “A” Road Churchgate – and – Sailors’ Home was in Cooperage…)

I looked at Commander D’s two pretty daughters and said to them:

“When did you come to Mumbai…?”

“We came last week…” they said.

I expected them to say “Uncle, Uncle – please come home…” as they used to say 3 years ago whenever they saw a bachelor Naval Officer.

But – since they didn’t say it – I said to them:

“Come – take me to your home – I want to meet your Daddy and Mummy…”

The girls looked at me with an odd expression on their faces.

They remained silent.

So – I said to them:

“Oh – I don’t have “Shrikhand” with me – but I promise to get “Shrikhand” next time…”

The elder girl – 12 – she looked at me and said:

“Uncle – please don’t come home. If you come home – Daddy will start drinking – and – we don’t want him to drink…”

On hearing this – I was nonplussed – I didn’t know what to say.

On seeing the expression on my face – Commander D’s elder daughter said to me:

“You know how much Daddy used to drink. They have told him to stop drinking – but – he doesn’t listen. We are trying our best to stop his drinking – but – someone or the other comes home – and he drinks with them. Just yesterday – he got badly drunk. If you come home – he will drink with you all night. So – uncle – please don’t come home…”

I felt terrible.

Tears welled in my eyes.

“Please don’t cry, Uncle…” the elder girl said – with tears in her eyes – and her younger sister had tears in her eyes too.

The small girls I knew – they had suddenly grown up.

I said “goodbye” to Commander D’s daughters – and – I walked back to my ship.

I felt very sad for the two small girls.

3 Years ago – whenever they saw me – they would say to me:

“Uncle, Uncle – please come home…”

But today – when they saw me – they said to me:

“Uncle, Uncle – please don’t come home…” 

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh. 
2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

No comments: