Friday, September 21, 2018

Why I Write – The Thrill and Enjoyment of Creative Writing

WHY I WRITE
The Thrill and Enjoyment of Creative Writing
By
VIKRAM KARVE
 
There is a saying: 

Happiness is a Journey 

Happiness is not a Destination 

Yes  happiness is the manner in which you travel the journey of life.

It is the same with creative writing. 

The process of creative writing is more enjoyable than the completion. 

It is the creative journey, the manner of travelling, which is more thrilling and rewarding than the material reward of success after publication of your creative work.

I love writing fiction short stories. 

I enjoy the whole process of writing a short story – thinking of the idea, the theme, the plot, the characters, the setting, the writing of the story. 

During this creative process the story belongs to me.

Once the story is completed and published  it is all over. 

Now  the story belongs to everyone. 

It is like pregnancy – once a baby is conceived – the baby is nurtured inside the mother. 

After the baby is born – the baby belongs to everyone.

When you are in the process of creative writing – you will transcend into the world of thought and reflection – and your mind will always be filled with interesting thoughts – and this will always keep you happy. 

Yes  it is true:
 
The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts 

The man who does not write is imprisioned in his immediate world in respect to time and space. 

His life falls into a set routine, limited to contact and conversation with his family, workplace colleagues, a few friends and acquaintances  and he sees only what happens in the world around him. 

But the moment he starts writing  he immediately enters a different world.

I write fiction short stories now – and let me tell you that I am thoroughly enjoying the wonderful process  the creative journey. 

First thing in the morning  the moment I wake up  I think of the story  the plot  the scenes – and – the characters of my story. 

I transcend to a world of my own – and throughout the day  fascinating thoughts perambulate in my mind. 

This is truly a stimulating experience which keeps me happy and cheerful throughout the day until the last moments before I drop off into sleep at night .

I am sure that my stories will be good because I put my heart into my writing. 

Since the journey is more important that the destination – I never set deadlines. 

Rather than rush to complete the story – I want to enjoy the process of writing it. 

I want to enjoy the sheer thrill of the creative writing “journey” more than the “destination” of publication of the story.

I will end with a quote on happiness from William Lyon Phelps:

“The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts. 

Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development  who love good music, good books, good pictures, good company, good conversation – they are the happiest people in the world. 

And they are not only happy in themselves  they are the cause of happiness in others.” 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved) 

This is an edited extract from my blog post WHY I WRITE posted by me many times in various blogs including at urls: http://karvediat.blogspot.com/2010/12/why-i-write.html  and http://karvediat.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-write-because-it-makes-me-happy.html and http://karvediat.blogspot.com/2011/03/creative-writing.html etc

 

No comments: