Thursday, May 17, 2018

Tête-à-Tête

TÊTE-À-TÊTE
Fiction Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE

“Are you from India…?” the girl asked me.

“Yes…” I said.

“Tourism…?”

“Not really…? I am on a lecture tour – but I am seeing the sights also…”

“Oh – lecture tour – you are a Professor…?”

“Yes. I teach Management…”

“Oh. Management…? I studied Management too…”

“Really…?”

“I did my MBA in India. Then – I did my Masters in Management here in New Zealand…”

“If you were already an MBA – why did you do another Masters Course in Management…?”

“Because I want to settle down here in New Zealand…”

“Oh – so you are using the “student pathway” to citizenship…?”

“Yes. How do you know about the “Student Pathway”…?”

“I met a youngster who is keen on settling down here – like you…”

“Oh. Indian…?”

“Yes. He is my son’s school classmate. Like you – he too came here as a “student”. He told me that no one comes here for “genuine education” – they do these courses over here – because – the “student pathway” is the easiest route to residency and citizenship...”

“That’s true. All of us – we migrate to New Zealand using the “student pathway” – first “student visa” – then “work visa” – then “residency” – and finally – the coveted New Zealand “citizenship”…”

“Have you got citizenship…?”

“No. Not yet. Right now – I am on an “Employer Assisted Work Visa”. Hopefully – I will get my “Skilled Migrant Visa” soon – then – after 2 years I can apply for “Permanent Residency” – and then – after I complete 5 years in New Zealand – I will apply for Citizenship…”

“So – you have got it all planned…”

“Yes – I came here 3 years ago – for over one year during my course I was on a Pathway Student Visa – then – for almost one year I was on Post Study Work Visa – searching for a permanent job – luckily – I got a good job just in time – and since then – I am on an Employer Assisted Work Visa…”

“My son’s friend – he told me that the “work visa” phase is most uncertain – he is all stressed out…”

“Yes. Once you complete your course – first you have to find a job within one year – and then – you have to hold on to the job for 2 years…”

“I told him to return to India – but he is desperate to stay here…”

“Everyone who comes here is desperate to stay here at any cost – that’s why we migrants get exploited…”

“Yes – he told me about it – all sorts of menial and dirty jobs – excessive working hours – underpayment of wages – it’s almost like slavery – and he told me that immigrant students are being exploited by employers in their own ethnic communities – Indian Immigrants are exploited by “Kiwi-Indians” – our own people who have settled down here…”

“It’s true – but then – at the end of it all – you get residency – don’t you…? It’s just a question of braving it out for 2 or 3 years to achieve your ultimate aim…”

“He told me that there was even a “cash-for-job” scam – migrants had to pay money to get a “job letter” which was required for a work visa. Of course – I can’t believe that such things are happening here…”

“Of course it is happening – our people are experts at doing all these dodgy things. I don’t think Pakehas do all these unscrupulous things – but then – they are quite reluctant to hire migrants…”

Pakehas…?”

“New Zealanders of European Ancestry – they are called Pakehas…”

“Oh…”

“For us migrants – it is a Catch-22 situation. “Pakeha New Zealander Kiwis” don’t want us – and “Kiwi-Indians” exploit our vulnerability – because they know that we want to stay on here at any cost – in the hope of getting long term residency…”

“About wanting to stay here “at any cost” – my son’s friend told me a story – of course it is quite preposterous – so I didn’t believe him…”

“What story…?”

“He said that an employer told a migrant girl that she would have to sleep with him if she wanted a “job letter” for a work visa. And – the girl was so desperate – that she agreed – and she slept with him…”

“It’s possible…”

“How can it be possible…?”

“Well – maybe the deadline was approaching – and if she didn’t get a work visa – she would have to go back to India…”

“She should have gone back to India…”

“No one who comes here wants to go back – they are willing to go to any extent to stay on here and have a “better life”…”

“Better Life…?”

“Once you get permanent residency – it is certainly a “better life”…”

“Anyway – I don’t believe that a girl will sleep with someone just to get a work visa…”

“The story is true…”

“How do you know…?”

“I am that girl…” 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: