Wednesday, December 5, 2012

CARPE DIEM - A MORNING PRAYER TO SEIZE THE DAY

CARPE DIEM
A MORNING PRAYER TO SEIZE THE DAY
By
VIKRAM KARVE

BEGIN YOUR DAY WITH A PRAYER OF GRATITUDE TO MOTHER EARTH

Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi Karamadhye Saraswati 

कराग्रे वसते लक्ष्मिः करमध्ये सरस्वति  

Every morning, the moment I wake up at dawn, I open my eyes, put the two palms of my hand together, look at them and recite my Morning Shloka  - this prayer was taught to me by my late maternal grandmother when I was a small boy.

Then, after reciting my morning prayer, I close my eyes, place the palms of my hands on my eyes and continue to lie down in bed and think about what I am going to do during the day. 

After a few moments, I move my hands all over my body to warm up and pep up my circulation, energize myself, and then I  get up, say Carpe Diem  and, yes, I seize the day and make the most of it.

Here is the morning prayer:

Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi Karamadhye Saraswati

कराग्रे वसते लक्ष्मिः करमध्ये सरस्वति 

Just click below and hear this meaningful and melodious prayer (it is very short - just 2 minutes). 

The Sanskrit prayer, the English Transliteration and the meaning in English are given below too. 

Dear Reader, first click the song below and hear this short prayer.

After hearing the prayer please read the meaning of the prayer and my views below:





कराग्रे वसते लक्ष्मिः करमध्ये सरस्वति 
करमूले तु गोविन्दः प्रभाते करदर्शनम् 
समुद्र-वसने देविपर्वत-स्तन-मंडिते 
विष्णु-पत्नि नमस्तुभ्यंपाद-स्पर्शं क्षमस्व मे 

Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi Karamadhye Saraswati,
Karamuule Tu Govinda Prabhaate Karadarshanam,
Samudravasane Devi Parvatastanamandale,
Vishhnupatni Namastubhyam Paadasparsham Kshamasva Me

The front part of the hands (the finger tips) is credited to Goddess Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth. 

The middle part or palm is credited to Goddess Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning.

The Root of the hand (the part of hand near the wrist) to Govinda (the name of  Lord Krishna, an avatar of God Vishnu). 

So, every morning, one should have a reverent look at one's hand which represents sincere labour. 

I bow to Mother Earth, who has mountains and jungles on her body and whose clothing is made by the ocean. 

The wife of Lord Vishnu, please pardon me for touching you with my feet.


HOW TO GET UP IN THE MORNING

Never use an alarm clock which wakes you up in a disturbing manner.

Get up naturally and gradually open your eyes. 

And then as sleep goes away and you slowly come to your senses, just hold your palms above you, look at them and say this prayer. 

After this short prayer of paying obeisance to the Goddesses Laxmi and Saraswati and God Vishnu and expressing gratitude to Mother Earth, you must close your eyes, place the palms of your hands on your eyes and continue to lie down in bed for a few moments thinking about what you are going to do during the day. This palming is good for your eyes too and gives you a sense of inner peace. So just close your eyes, place your palms on your eyes, and contemplate about the day ahead. 

(Do not think about yesterday or about tomorrow, just focus on today). 

Then after a few moments, move your hands all over your body to pep up your circulation, energize yourself, and then get up, say to yourself Carpe Diem – and, yes, you will seize the day and make the most of it.

If your day begins well the rest of the day will be good. 

As they say: well begun is half done.

More importantly, this helps you live one day at a time.

I try my best to live one day at a time. 

For me every morning is a new day, a new life – so I try my best to make the most of it and then I hit the bed and go to sleep, forget about the day which is over and gone forever and wake up to another fresh new day. 

And when I wake up, I say my morning prayer, get into a positive mood, and Carpe Diem - I seize the new day.

Remember, the manner in which you get up in the morning decides the quality of your day

So, Dear Reader, wake up well and have a happy day ahead.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 


Did you like reading this blog post?
I am sure you will like all the 27 stories in my book  COCKTAIL an anthology of Short Fiction.
To order your COCKTAIL please click any of the links below:

http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html

COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the links below:
AMAZON

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925


Foodie Book:  Appetite for a Stroll
If your are a Foodie you will like my book of Food Adventures APPETITE FOR A STROLL. Do order a copy from FLIPKART:
http://www.flipkart.com/appetite-stroll-vikram-karve/8190690094-gw23f9mr2o

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer and blogger. Educated at IIT Delhi, IIT (BHU) Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and an anthology of short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories and creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional  and academic research papers in journals and edited in-house journals and magazines for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for 15 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing and blogging. Vikram Karve lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.

Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramwamankarve@gmail.com
      
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 



No comments: