Saturday, January 22, 2011

WHY I WRITE - The Thrill and Enjoyment of Creative Writing

WHY I WRITE
The Thrill and Enjoyment of Creative Writing
By
VIKRAM KARVE

There is a saying: happiness is a journey, happiness is not a destination; yes, happiness is the manner in which you travel the journey of life.

It is the same with creative writing. The process of creative writing is more enjoyable than the completion. It is the creative journey, the manner of travelling, which is more thrilling and rewarding than the material reward of success after publication of your creative work.

Earlier I wrote fiction short stories. I enjoyed the whole process of writing a short story – thinking of the idea, the theme, the plot, the characters, the setting, the writing of the story. During this creative process the story belonged to me.

Once the story was completed and published, it was all over. Now the story belonged to everyone. It is like pregnancy – once a baby is conceived she is nurtured inside the mother and after the baby is born she belongs to everyone.

When you are in the process of creative writing you will transcend into the world of thought and reflection and your mind will always be filled with interesting thoughts and this will always keep you happy. Yes, it is true, the happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts.

The man who does not write is imprisioned in his immediate world in respect to time and space. His life falls into a set routine, limited to contact and conversation with his family, workplace colleagues, a few friends and acquaintances, and he sees only what happens in the world around him. But the moment he starts writing he immediately enters a different world.

I am writing a fiction novel now and let me tell you that I am thoroughly enjoying the wonderful process, the creative journey. First thing in the morning, the moment I wake up, I think of the story, the plot, the scenes, the characters of my novel, I transcend to a world of my own and throughout the day fascinating thoughts perambulate in my mind. This is truly a stimulating experience which keeps me happy and cheerful throughout the day until the last moments before I drop off into sleep at night .

I am sure that my novel will be good because I have put my heart into my writing and the way it is shaping up I am confident that my novel will be a success, but that is not my only goal or the primary aim of why I am writing every day. I want to enjoy the sheer thrill of the creative writing “journey” more than the “destination” of publication of the novel.

I will end with a quote on happiness from William Lyon Phelps:

The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts. Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good company, good conversation, are the happiest people in the world. And they are not only happy in themselves, they are the cause of happiness in others.”


VIKRAM KARVE 

Copyright © Vikram Karve 2010
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.  


VIKRAM KARVE educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU, The Lawrence School Lovedale, and Bishop's School Pune, is an Electronics and Communications Engineer by profession, a Human Resource Manager and Trainer by occupation, a Teacher by vocation, a Creative Writer by inclination and a Foodie by passion. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories and creative non-fiction articles in magazines and journals for many years before the advent of blogging. His delicious foodie blogs have been compiled in a book "Appetite for a Stroll". Vikram lives in Pune with his family and pet Doberman girl Sherry, with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.

Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Academic Journal Vikram Karvehttp://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile of Vikram Karve - http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com
Foodie Book: Appetite for a Stroll 

http://books.sulekha.com/book/appetite-for-a-stroll/default.htm

© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

2 comments:

Ad woman said...

This is so true....I myself am a budding writer infact an aspirational copywriter...and the happiest days of my life are when my mind is thinking creative thoughts.....

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ saaniya - may all your days be happy and creative. Keep writing and blogging