Tuesday, August 3, 2010

WHY I AM GOING TO BOARDING SCHOOL

WHY I AM GOING TO BOARDING SCHOOL
Short Fiction – A Story from the pages of a Diary written by a Small Girl many years ago...
By
VIKRAM KARVE  


From my Archives -  a fiction short story I wrote a few years ago. A small girl's tale, narrated in her own words...


It all started when God took my baby brother away. 

Poor thing...my poor baby brother...

God took him away even before he was born...

And Mamma was never the same again.

She changed forever. 

We were so happy then... before God took my baby brother away...

A happy family - My Papa, my Mamma, my loving Granny and cute little Me.

We all lived in a cute little house in a place called Madiwale Colony in Sadashiv Peth in Pune.

In the morning Papa caught the company bus to his factory in Pimpri and Mamma walked me down to my school nearby on Bajirao Road.

And the evenings we all went to the Talyatla Ganpati temple in Saras Baug, played on the lush green lawns, and if Papa was in a good mood he would treat me to a yummy Bhel prepared by the man with the huge flowing beard at the Kalpana Bhel stall at Tilak Road crossing on the way back. 

On Sundays we would go to Laxmi Road for shopping, Misal at Santosh Bhavan, Amba ice cream at Ganu Shinde and, maybe, a Marathi movie at Prabhat, Vijay or Bhanuvilas. 

And once in a while, Papa would take us on his Bajaj scooter to Camp, or a ride on the Jangli Maharaj Road, or to picnic spots like Khadakvasla and Katraj lakes, or up Sinhagarh Fort, and once we even went all the way to Lonavala; Papa, Mamma and me, all riding on our beloved and hardy scooter. 

It was a good life, and we were happy and content.

Two things are a must for a happy home – first, you must love your home, and you must always want to go home because your home is the best place in the world for you ... and, second, your home must love you, your home must want you to come home, beckon you, yes, your home must welcome you and wait for you to come back, be happy when you come back and want you you to live inside it.

Our cute little house in Sadashiv Peth with all the loving people in living in it was indeed a happy home. 

And I had lots of friends all around. 

One day they all said Mamma was going to have a baby.

Being a girl myself, I wanted a baby sister to play with, but Granny scolded me and said it must be a baby brother, so I said okay – I would manage with a baby brother. 

And suddenly one day, when Mamma’s tummy was bloating quite a bit, they rushed her to hospital, and God took my unborn baby brother away.

It was at this moment that Mamma changed forever. 

I sat beside Mamma in the hospital and consoled her, “Don’t worry. God will send another baby brother.” 

And on hearing this Mamma started crying and said she would never have a baby again and I was her only baby.

She looked pale and had a sad look in her eyes for many days even after leaving hospital.

And most of the time she would sit alone brooding by the window or moping all alone in her room. 

“She’ll go crazy sitting in the house all day. She must do something...!” everyone said, but Papa was adamant: “Who’ll look after the house, my mother, my daughter...?” he asked. 

“Don’t worry, I’ll manage everything,” Granny said, so Mamma joined a Computer class nearby.

And soon she started becoming normal and happy again.

“She’s a natural programmer,” everyone praised her, and when she finished the course she was offered a good job in a top IT software firm. 

“No way,” said Papa, “I’m the breadwinner. I don’t want my wife to work. I want her to look after the house.” 

“MCP... MCP...” everyone said to Papa.

I didn’t know what MCP meant, but it made Papa very angry. 

“Let her work. I’ll manage the house,” Granny said. 

“Don’t worry, Papa. I’m a big girl now and can look after myself. I’ll study regularly and come first,” I promised.

And so, Mamma started working.

And when she brought her first pay and gave it to Papa, he said proudly, 
“I’ll be the last person to touch my wife’s money. I would rather starve than live off my wife.”

So my Mamma gave the money to Granny and Papa didn’t say a thing, he just sulked for days.

Life was hectic now.

Mamma got up very early, cooked the food, did the housework, got ready and then both Papa and Mamma caught their respective company buses to their faraway workplaces – he to his factory in Pimpri and she to the IT Park.

And after that Granny made me ready and I walked down Bajirao Road to my school. 

One day my Mamma’s boss came home with Mamma.

He said the company wanted to send Mamma abroad to America for working on a project.

He had come home to convince Papa to let her go.

I thought that Papa would argue, and hoped he would not let her go, but surprisingly he meekly agreed, probably thinking it was futile to argue, and Mamma went away to the States for three months.

Then there was an IT boom.

IT... IT... everywhere...

That was a turning point in our lives.

Mamma started doing better and better, becoming more and more successful, doing more and more projects, earning more and more money.

Papa felt jealous that she was earning more than him, so he took VRS and started a business. I don't know what he exactly did but it was something to do with software and hardware and my Papa got so busy that he came home late in the evenings and had no time for me but the business seemed to be doing quite well. 

And then a competition started between them, and soon they both were making so much money that Sadashiv Peth wasn’t a good enough place to stay in any longer as it did not befit their new found status...!

So we moved to a luxury apartment in a fancy township in a posh suburb of Pune, and I was put in a famous elite school known more for its snob appeal than academic accomplishments and studies.

Our new house was in a beautiful colony, far away from the city, with landscaped gardens, clubhouse, swimming pool, gym, and so many facilities.

It was so luxurious, and people living there so highbrow and snobbish, that Granny and I were miserable.

“It’s like a 5 star prison,” she would say.

She was right in one way.

For the whole day when we all were away she was trapped inside with nothing to but watch soaps on cable TV in airconditioned comfort.

I too missed our cute old house in Sadashiv Peth, the Bhel, the trips to Saras Baug and Laxmi Road and, most of all, my earlier friends who were so friendly unlike the snobbish people here.

Oh yes, this was indeed a better house, but our cute old place in Sadashiv Peth was certainly a better home...

But Granny and me – we managed somehow, as Mamma increased her trips abroad and Papa was busy expanding his flourishing business.

And suddenly one day God took Granny away.

Mamma was abroad in America on an important project and she just could not come home immediately.

She came back after one month and then for days Papa and Mamma kept discussing something.

I sensed that they were discussing about me for whenever I would come they would keep quiet or change the topic.

And tomorrow morning, I am off to an elite boarding school in Panchgani. 

I don’t know whether what has happened is good or bad, or what is going to happen in future, but one thing is sure: If God hadn’t taken my baby brother away, I wouldn’t be going to boarding school...

 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2009
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.


Did you like this story?
I am sure you will like the stories in my recently published book COCKTAIL comprising twenty seven short stories about relationships. To order the book please click the links below:
http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html

COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the link below:
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and he is currently working on his novel. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories and creative non-fiction articles in magazines and journals for many years before the advent of blogging. Vikram has taught at a University as a Professor for almost 15 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts. 


Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.com
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com        

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

16 comments:

Chandra said...

a lovely story, narration...but ended in a suspense?...wondering what happened to her (girl) or her family, next?...

good writing, Vikram!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Story, Vikram.

You highlighted the plight of small girl is such a realistic way.. that it all felt so real.. and I know this is what happens most of the time.

I came here from the link you posted at WeBlog's Forum.

Thank you for sharing such an brilliant and moving piece of story.

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Chandra,
Thanks. I am glad you liked the story.
Well the family also joins the "rat race" in all probability...!!!
Regards
Vikram

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Sadhogopal Ram - Thanks for your nice words - I am glad you liked the story

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Thanks Yellamah RD

viren said...

Hey Mr. Vikram.. dats such a sweet lil beautiful story written in simple manner.. unfortunately, yes this has become the 'way of life' and the difference between happiness and pleasure has somehow dissolved. Would thr b a pragmatic way out for this family to bring in happiness again?

Krishno said...

A beautiful Story

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Krishno Thanks
@ Viren - yes, it happens

Miss D said...

Very touching.
Loved it!

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Thanks Enchanta (Dimitri) - I am so glad you liked this simple story.
Regards
Vikram

abhishek sharma said...

Nice story. But I wonder what happend to mom and dad. and Why always dads have to be so gender baised...IT boom was very real...

rajeev said...

Very nice, simple and touching.

thanks Vikram for sharing this story

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Thanks Rajeev. I am glad you liked this story

the little princess said...

very touching...

Vikram Waman Karve said...

Thanks Little Princess

Anonymous said...

i wish it continued......