Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Why Marriages Fail

WHY MARRIAGES FAIL

Story

By

VIKRAM KARVE

______

Mumbai (then known as Bombay) – circa 1978

______

Part 1

LOVE MARRIAGE

_____

When my course-mate Ashok got divorced within one year of his marriage – instead of sympathizing with him – I chastised him.

“I told you not to get married to that “fleet auxiliary” – but you wouldn’t listen to me…” I said to Ashok.

“I know – I should have listened to you…” Ashok said, contrite.

“You come from such a conservative background – I told you that your parents would never accept her…” I said to him.

“You were right – my parents did not approve of her at all…” he said.

“Despite your parent’s disapproval – you defied your parents – and you got married to her…” I scolded him.

“I was in love with her…” he said.

“Love…? If you were in love with her – why did you divorce her…?” I asked him.

“We were just not compatible…” he said.

“Compatible…!!! How could you be “compatible” with her…? Outwardly – you may act “modern” – but in your mind – you are still a “small town boy” – I told you all this – but you just wouldn’t listen to me…” I said to him.

“I wish I had listened to you…” he said.

“There is a difference between a “girlfriend” and a “wife” – especially if the girlfriend is a “fleet auxiliary” – no one marries a “fleet auxiliary” – you have a “good time” with them – and then – you get married to the “back home type” girl that your parents have chosen for you…” I said to him.

“I was so much in love with her – that I even went against my parents – and I didn’t even listen to your advice…” he said, full of remorse.

“Yes – love made you “blind” – and – she exploited you – she is a bloody shameless “nympho” – after having a “good time” with others – she trapped you into marriage…” I said to him.

“You are right…” he said, “she “knew” so many people – shipmates, course-mates – even seniors…”

“She was 5 years older to you – past her prime – and you fell for her…” I said, “she really made a fool of you…”

“Yes – I married in haste – and now – I am repenting at leisure…” he said, “next time – I am going to be careful…”

“Yes…” I said, “marriage is serious business…”

“You are right…” he said, “I took it very lightly – and I paid a heavy price…”

“What are your plans now…? I heard that you have asked for a compassionate grounds transfer…?” I asked him.

“Yes – I want to get away from this place – and – I want to move on in life…” he said, “I have asked for Vizag – it will be closer to my hometown as well…”

“All the best…” I said to Ashok, “and in case you are thinking of getting married – go in for an arranged marriage this time – and choose carefully…”

“Yes…” Ashok said – he gulped down the remains of his drink – he smiled a goodbye to me – and he left the wardroom.

______

10 Years Later

Kochi (Cochin) – circa 1988

______

Part 2

ARRANGED MARRIAGE

______

 

10 years later – my ship visited Kochi (then known as Cochin)

 

In the evening – I walked down to the Navy Club – and – I saw Ashok sitting on the lawn – all by himself.

“You must have heard that I got divorced again…?” he said to me.

“Yes…” I said, “what happened…?”

“I don’t know…” he said, “this time I was careful – I saw so many girls that my parents had lined up for me – and then – after shortlisting the girls I had liked – I selected the girl who was an ideal wife for me – she had all the qualities that I wanted in my wife – I thought we had a happy marriage – but – one day – she suddenly just walked out…”

“That’s sad…” I said, commiserating with him.

“Yes…” Ashok said, “she was the ideal wife for me…”

“She was an ideal wife for you – but – were you an “ideal” husband for her…?” I asked him.

“What do you mean…?” Ashok said.

“You checked out the girl’s qualities – but – did you check out your own qualities…?” I said to him.

“What are you trying to say…?” he asked me.

“You were a mismatch in your love marriage – and – you were a mismatch in your arranged marriage too. You need to introspect – why do your marriages fail…?” I said to Ashok.

“You are right…” Ashok said, “I must check my own compatibility too – I will surely do that – next time…”

“Next time…?” I said, surprised.

He sure had perseverance.

There is a saying: “Third Time Lucky”.

I hoped he would be lucky the 3rd time – and – his next marriage would be a success.

_______

20 Years Later

Pune – circa 2008

_______

Part 3

THIRD TIME LUCKY…?

_______

I was happily surprised to see my course-mate Ashok at a Navy Veterans Get-Together in Pune.

“It’s been a long time…” I said to Ashok, “you totally went “off the radar” – I lost all track of you…”

“I quit the Navy a few days after we met last time…” Ashok said.

“Yes – that’s what I heard – that – you had suddenly resigned…” I said, “what happened…?”

“I got a good job offer in the gulf – so – I decided to go over there – and since then – I have been globetrotting…” he said.

“That’s great…” I said, “but what are you doing in Pune…?” I asked him.

“Like you – I too have finally “retired” – and I have decided to settle down in Pune – I just came one month ago from the US…” he said.

“Where do you live in Pune…?” I asked him.

“At present I am living in a serviced apartment – but I have just bought a house – and I will be moving in there soon…” he said.

He told me the name of the township where he had bought a house – it was an exclusive cosmopolitan township – most posh and elite. To be able to afford a house in that classy “highfalutin” township – Ashok must have done well for himself after leaving the Navy.

Ashok looked at me and said, tongue-in-cheek:

“You didn’t ask me if I was married…?”

“Are you…?” I said to him, “Or – did you get married and divorced again…?”

“No. No…” he laughed, “I took your advice seriously. I introspected – and I realized that I wasn’t “marriage material” – so – I didn’t get married again…”

Someone called out his name – so – Ashok excused himself and he went to meet the person.

The moment Ashok had gone away – my wife suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

“Why were you talking to that disgusting man…?” she said, angrily.

“Disgusting man…? He is my course-mate Ashok. He left the Navy long ago. I will introduce you to him…” I said to my wife.

“I don’t want to be introduced to him…” my wife said, “and you better keep away from him…”

“What happened…?” I asked my wife.

“The ladies were talking about him. He is an immoral man…” she said.

“Immoral…?” I said, surprised.

“Don’t you know…?” my wife asked me.

“What…?” I said, curious.

“He is “living in sin” with a woman…” my wife said.

“Are you sure…? He told me that he was unmarried…” I said to her.

“That’s what I am telling you…” my wife said to me, “he is unmarried – but he is “shacked up” with a woman half his age – lecherous fellow – you better keep away from him…”

_________ 

VIKRAM KARVE

Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh. 
2. This story is a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: