Friday, November 24, 2017

The Girl

THE GIRL
Fiction Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE

Circa 1979 – Mumbai (then called Bombay)

PART 1 – The Girl I “Rejected”

The TASO’s wife looked angrily at me and said:

“Why did you tell Nisha that “she is not attractive”…? That is the most insulting thing you can say to a girl…”

“I did not tell Nisha that “she is not attractive” – I told her that “I was not attracted to her”…”

“It is the same thing…”

“No – it is not the same thing. I did not feel “attracted” towards her…”

“Nisha may not be a “ravishing” beauty – but she is quite charming. In fact – she is quite beautiful in her own way…”

“Did I say that she is not beautiful…?

“Yes – she may be a bit plump – but – you are no “Adonis” either. You may have a high opinion about your looks – but let me tell you that you are quite ordinary looking – and you don’t have a great physique either…”

“Why are you telling me all this…?”

“Because you “rejected” the girl…”

“I did not “reject” her – I told her that I did not want to get married…”

“It’s the same thing…!!! Poor Girl – Nisha – she is so devastated by the “rejection” – she has sunk into “depression”…”

“Shall I speak to her…?”

“Yes. You do that. And – you tell her that you want to get married to her…”

“I told you that I don’t want to get married – it’s not a question of “this girl” or “that girl” – I just don’t want to get married – that’s all…”

“So – you want to remain a bachelor for your entire life…?”

“I don’t know – maybe I will feel like getting married later – but right now – I don’t want to get married…”

The TASO’s wife looked angrily at me and said:

“You have caused me great embarrassment – it was me who had suggested your name as a “prospective groom” to the girl’s mother – yes – I strongly recommended your name – and – you have let me down like this…”

“Did you ask me – before suggesting my name…?”

“Even now – it is not too late...”

“What do you mean…?”

“If you don’t want to get married right now – we will not hurry you into marriage – you can get engaged now – then – we can wait for a year or so – till you are ready for marriage…”

“No…”

“Don’t be so impatient. The girl is very good – I know the family very well – her parents are really very decent people – the girl – Nisha – she is their only child…”

“Please…”

“Listen to me – you say “YES” – that’s all – we will see about the engagement later – this girl is ideal for you…”

“No…”

“But why…? I am just asking you to “YES” – that’s all…”

“I don’t like the girl…”

“What…? I am telling you again and again – this girl is really very good…”

“She may be “good” – but she is not “my type”…”

“What do you mean “she is not my type”…?”

“She is too “schoolmarmish”…”

“Schoolmarmish…? She certainly doesn’t look like a “schoolmarm”…”

“I didn’t mean it that way – maybe I used the wrong word – but – as I told you before – I am not “attracted” to her – she is not my type of girl…”

“You keep saying again and again “she is not my type of girl” – I just don’t understand what you mean – Nisha is quite good-looking – she has got a nice “homely” personality…”

“Ah – “homely” – that was the word I was looking for – yes – she is homely – rather “matronly” if I may say so…”

“What’s wrong with that…”

“She doesn’t “excite” me – I don’t feel a “stirring” inside me when I see her…”

“I agree that she is no “sexy siren” – but then – you are no “macho man” either…” 

“Please – let’s stop discussing this topic…”

“No. I want you to talk to the girl. I will call Nisha to the Jehangir Art Gallery tomorrow evening. You come there at 5 PM after your work. I will leave the two of you alone. You talk to her – get to know her better – you two spend some time together – go out for a movie – for dinner – talk to each other – understand each other better – and – you will realize that this girl Nisha is the best “match” for you…”

“No. It’s final. I do not want to get married. And – I do not want to get married to this girl Nisha…” I said firmly to the TASO’s wife.

After saying this – I walked away.

The TASO’s wife gave me an angry look that she had never given me before.

I knew that our friendship had been spoilt forever. 

THREE DAYS EARLIER

Circa 1979  – Mumbai (then called Bombay)

PART 2 – Return to Harbour

It all started three days ago – when we returned from a long sailing.

Since I was the junior-most bachelor with a “watch-keeping ticket” – I was rostered on “Officer of the Day” (OOD) duty.

The married officers would go home to their wives and families.

The other bachelors would paint the town red – while I spent a lonely time on board.

The moment the shore-telephone was rigged up – I tested it – I got the number from the exchange – and – I told the Duty Gangway Quartermaster to make an announcement on the ship’s broadcast – that the “shore telephone” was operational.

Within seconds – the “TAS Officer” appeared – as if from nowhere.

The “TAS Officer” aka TASO (Torpedo Anti-Submarine Officer) – he was the senior-most ‘in-living’ officer.

[With our penchant for changing names – and – in consonance with the increasing “Americanization” of our Naval Culture – TASO was later re-designated as ASWO (Anti-Submarine Warfare Officer)…]

The TASO called up his neighbour from the ship’s shore-telephone and said:

“Please call my wife – I will ring again after 5 minutes…”

(This story happened 40 years ago – in the 1970’s – before the advent of mobile phones – and – those days – in the Navy – even landline phones were a luxury – and only a select few officers were entitled to telephones at their residence)

The TASO’s neighbour was a “Secretary” to an Admiral – hence he had a residential phone.

The TASO “guarded” the shore-telephone – looking at his watch – while the newly-married “Senior Engineer” – who had also appeared on the Gangway – waited for his turn to use the phone and talk to his newly-wedded wife.

I smiled at the TASO.

He smiled back.

The TASO was a good guy – and – despite the fact that he was 5 years senior to me in the rank of Lieutenant – we were good friends.

(Those days – in the 1970’s – after being commissioned as an Officer in the Navy – it took you 3 years to become a Lieutenant – and then – you remained a Lieutenant for 8 long years – before being promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Commander – after a total of 11 years of commissioned service.

Today – you see “greenhorns” – who haven’t yet fully grown their whiskers – strutting around wearing “two and a half stripes” of a Lieutenant Commander – after just 6 years of commissioned service – thanks to the benevolent Ajai Vikram Singh Cadre Review Report aka AVS 2006 – which has reduced the value of senior ranks to subaltern status…)

One more reason for my friendship with the TASO was that he was married to a cousin sister of mine – who lived near our home in Pune. In fact – the TASO’s wife and I had been classmates at school.

I watched the TASO as he anxiously waited for 5 minutes to pass – by which time his wife would have arrived at their neighbour’s house.  

The TASO did not wait for the full 5 minutes – around 3 minutes later – he picked up the shore-telephone and re-dialled his neighbour’s number.

His wife was waiting for him at the other end.

After speaking for some time to his wife – the TASO said: “Really…?”

Then – he looked at me and said:

“Hey – my wife wants to speak to you…”

And – he gave me the receiver of the shore-telephone.

“You come for dinner tonight…” the TASO’s wife said to me.

“But Ma’am – I am on duty as OOD…” I said.

“Stop calling me “Ma’am” – just call me “Alka” like before…” she admonished me, “and listen – you tell my husband – he will put someone else on duty…”

“I will come for dinner some other time…” I said.

“No. You have to come for dinner tonight. It is very important. You come at 7:30 PM – don’t be late…” the TASO’s wife said to me in a firm voice.

“Okay…” I said – and I handed over the phone to the TASO.

The TASO talked to his wife for a minute or so.

Then – the TASO looked at me – and he said to me:

“You come for dinner tonight – I will tell Lieutenant “XXX” to “hold the deck” for you…”

“Aye Aye, Sir…” I said.

The TASO was the “senior watch-keeper”.

He called Lieutenant “XXX” (the other “in-living” officer on board our ship besides me).

The TASO told Lieutenant “XXX” to “hold the deck” for me in the evening – but – the shrewd Lieutenant “XXX” preferred to exchange OOD duties with me – I would now do his duty on Sunday – so that he would be able to attend the Races at Mahalaxmi Race Course on Sunday. 

(Lieutenant “XXX” was an avid “punter”) 

So – I handed over charge of the ship to Lieutenant “XXX” – and I went down to the wardroom for a beer.

SAME DAY EVENING

Circa 1979  – Mumbai (then called Bombay)

PART 3 – The Marriage Proposal

At sharp 7:30 PM in the evening – I rang the doorbell of the TASO’s Flat in Colaba.

The TASO’s wife opened the door – she was very happy to see me.

I walked into the drawing room.

There were three persons seated on the sofa – a man – a woman – both middle-aged – and a girl – she seemed to be my age – in her early 20’s.

The girl was very “prim and proper”.

She smiled at me – a rather formal shy smile.

I smiled back at her – a “social graces” synthetic smile of forced geniality.

I looked at the girl.

She was a bit chubby – with a pleasant face – dressed in a sari – a rather “homely” type.

In the Navy – the “junior” (younger) is always introduced to the “senior” (older) person.

The TASO’s wife introduced me to the middle-aged gentleman – who was a Brigadier in the Army.

“Brigadier “YYY” – this is Lieutenant “ZZZ” (me)…”

Brigadier “YYY” shook hands with me – and he said to me:

“Good to meet you…”

Then – Brigadier “YYY” pointed towards the ladies and said to me:

“Please meet my wife  Jyotsna  and my daughter  Nisha…”

I smiled at the ladies – they smiled back at me.

The Brigadier’s wife  Jyotsna – she was looking at me in an appraising sort of way.

I gave her a smile of forced geniality – and then looked at the Brigadier and said to him:

“Sir – are you posted here – in Mumbai…?”

“No, No…” the Brigadier said, “I am commanding a Brigade in the field – but I should be moving to Pune soon – on promotion…”

“Oh. Congratulations, Sir. By the way – I am from Pune…” I said.

“I know – we know all about you – Alka has told us everything…” he said.

(Dear Reader: As I told you earlier – “Alka” was the TASO’s Wife – my School Classmate)

I was wondering why the TASO wasn’t offering me a drink. 

I saw that both the TASO and the Brigadier were drinking Whisky – and – the ladies were having “soft” drinks.

The TASO’s wife said to me:

“Why don’t you take Nisha out for a drive…?”

“Drive…?”

“On your Bike…” the TASO’s wife said to me, “take Nisha to the Mess – to the US Club – the seaside promenade – show her around – and you two can talk to each other…”

Now – I was beginning to get an inkling why I had been invited for dinner.

Story to be continued… 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. This Story and all Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)


No comments: